PDA

View Full Version : 8-10m Cats??

Dean1
21-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi i have a mate who is currently looking for a powercat between 8- 10m. He is interested in a 10m (268) powercat. Anyone here had any experience with these? Im trying to steer him more towards a kevlacat, cougar cat or noosacat etc. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks, Deano.

northernblue
21-03-2008, 05:28 PM
What age boat is he looking at Deano?

Dean1
21-03-2008, 05:30 PM
What age boat is he looking at Deano? A 1999 model mate

Dean1
21-03-2008, 05:35 PM
He wants to spend around 80k

boatboy50
22-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Hey Dean,

The Powercats are actually very good boats.

They have a better finish than the Kevlas or the Noosas. The later ones are probably more leisure orientated than fishing though.

Their ride is as good as the others, and i'm sure their build quality is up there as well. I remember reading a story about the Powercat owner. He did own a very large well known boat building company in the eighties (the name escapes me), so his pedigree is very good. He is like Noosa Cat, prefers to build a good boat rather than a lot of boats.

I'm not sure the 268 is a 10m boat though, i'm sure it is only around 8m if that.

And all this coming from a Kevlacat owner.

Regards

Darren

northernblue
22-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Mate I can't even give you an opinion on the pros and cons of 23 sharkcats!
Quite a dry, soft ride in the back yard!
And my two kids are getting really good at going "BRUMMM BRUMMM", in fact they sound just like twin 470 Merc's should.......

hunge
22-03-2008, 08:25 PM
hey dont know how much it is going to sell for but one of the carter boats in noosa is up for auction cougar2 i think it was. it was in the sunshine coast daily today

Dean1
24-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey Dean,

They have a better finish than the Kevlas or the Noosas. The later ones are probably more leisure orientated than fishing though.

Their ride is as good as the others, and i'm sure their build quality is up there as well. I remember reading a story about the Powercat owner. He did own a very large well known boat building company in the eighties (the name escapes me), so his pedigree is very good. He is like Noosa Cat, prefers to build a good boat rather than a lot of boats.

I'm not sure the 268 is a 10m boat though, i'm sure it is only around 8m if that.

And all this coming from a Kevlacat owner.

Regards

Darren Hi Darren, yeah the 268 is 30ft or 9m. I agree they look more like a lesuire boat as such, i like hardcore fihing decks! My mate is pretty new to offshore fishing so im trying to show him the ropes. I told him to have a look at the 268 just so he can compare them all. Thanks for the input and go the 5.2 kc's! ;D

Dean1
24-03-2008, 09:04 AM
hey dont know how much it is going to sell for but one of the carter boats in noosa is up for auction cougar2 i think it was. it was in the sunshine coast daily today Yeah i saw that boat thanks, it has four strokes on it too. He wants to spend up to 100k now, should find an ok tub for that ;)

Dean1
24-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Mate I can't even give you an opinion on the pros and cons of 23 sharkcats!
Quite a dry, soft ride in the back yard!
And my two kids are getting really good at going "BRUMMM BRUMMM", in fact they sound just like twin 470 Merc's should....... Glen whats the go mate?? Wheres she at? Have you got the trailer sorted yet? You have to get her up and running for the winter season or it'll end like grand marlins garden gnome :-/

northernblue
24-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Mate the neighbours all reccon it lifts the prestige of the area sitting in the driveway.
I haven't progressed much, the axles are on but I haven't hooked up the sensabrake yet as I haven't sold the Prado to purchase the 'Cruiser.
Oh, Kev07 keeps pumping up interest rates too..........that doesn't help me much at the moment either.

It will happen, it's just a bit like Rome.
Have you got out lately?

Dean1
24-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Mate the neighbours all reccon it lifts the prestige of the area sitting in the driveway.
I haven't progressed much, the axles are on but I haven't hooked up the sensabrake yet as I haven't sold the Prado to purchase the 'Cruiser.
Oh, Kev07 keeps pumping up interest rates too..........that doesn't help me much at the moment either.

It will happen, it's just a bit like Rome.
Have you got out lately? Nah mate havent been out since i caught those jewies. Hopefully this saturday if weather plays the game. Getin really anxious need to bend those new rods of mine again. Talk soon.

Outsider1
31-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi i have a mate who is currently looking for a powercat between 8- 10m. He is interested in a 10m (268) powercat. Anyone here had any experience with these? Im trying to steer him more towards a kevlacat, cougar cat or noosacat etc. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks, Deano.

Feature article in this month's issue of F & B is;

Setting up a Powercat 268 for Big Game Fishing by Aaron Concord. The boat in the feature is a 2nd hand one refurbed for the task.

Cheers

Dave

Noelm
31-03-2008, 02:04 PM
A mate of mine had a 26 Powercat with twin Diesels in it, went ok and cheap as buggery to run, I could find out exact figues of you are intersted.

kozy cobia
01-04-2008, 09:03 PM
HI DEAN,
Just got a 3100 Series noosa cat with 2 x 200hp 4 strokes but only been out in it 3 time due to weather. Tell your mate to buy a petrol station as fuel can be as high as $1.65 in a marina in brisbane as he will get a nasty shock when fueling it up. Other wise it is a soft ride, stable platform when anchored but you need 5 mates on board to chip in. Also with a lot of cats they are not the best marlin boats (not the best in reverse)

Regards Kozy

Fish Guts
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
kozy your getting stung at rivergate the bastards. scarb marina is normally 1.36 - 1.40. look forward to seeing another noosa cat out there mate.

p.s theres a berth available right next to ours at the mbbc scarborough. would save all that motoring up the river.
cheers

fish guts

kozy cobia
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Ben,
The problem is i live near the marina and there is still work to be done on the cat.In winter she will be living at moloolaba so i hope petrol is cheaper there. You will have to come for a rum up there. Can you remind me if you got counter rotating motors on your rig?
Regards

Kozy

Fish Guts
02-04-2008, 08:37 PM
ah forgot you mentioning putting it up the coast. will definately love to come for a run and a rum when shes all rigged up. keep me posted.

yeah they are counter rotating. are you having second thoughts about the steering >

kozy cobia
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
ah forgot you mentioning putting it up the coast. will definately love to come for a run and a rum when shes all rigged up. keep me posted.

yeah they are counter rotating. are you having second thoughts about the steering >

I think i need a new/recon left hand leg when one comes up( keep your eyes open for me 200hp suzuki) also i will be puting a pop out glass drivers window for night vision. Boat dips to the left and the steering is heavy, (you know why).

Regards
Kozy

julian1
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
non counter rotation ?

snelly1971
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Just found the perfect boat Deano, for your mate....:-X:-X

Dont you go leaving drool marks all over you keyboard:P:P

www.melbourneshipbrokers.com.au/vessels/displayVessel.php?boatid=320

Mick

northernblue
03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
That cats got a bit extra inbetween!!!!
RUNAWAY!!RUNAWAY!!!

Dean1
03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Just found the perfect boat Deano, for your mate....:-X:-X

Dont you go leaving drool marks all over you keyboard:P:P

www.melbourneshipbrokers.com.au/vessels/displayVessel.php?boatid=320 (http://www.melbourneshipbrokers.com.au/vessels/displayVessel.php?boatid=320)

Mick Ha ha Mick nice try bud, but he wants to travel fast speeds in comfort ;) Note that tryhardhull onlydoes 18kts max speed :-/ You wont convert me, my mate reckons my 5.2 cat is a better ride than his mates 6.7 trihull by a long way. How r the swells down your way at the moment? 5 or 6 metres?? Good to see your still alive and well, cheers mate.

gofishin
03-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Dean,
....the Powercat owner. He did own a very large well known boat building company in the eighties (the name escapes me), so his pedigree is very good...

Darren
His name was John Egar. After the original PC company he started OceanTrek, very similar looking boats, but much bigger. The original Powercats came as 288, 328, 408 and then the 248. The 248 got pods to make the 268 (from memory).

When the new owners took over some of the original molds were cut & shut & some scrapped. However, you can still clearly see the hull lines of the originals in the current breed, despite higher tunnels/hulls.

Dean1, 1m = 3.28 ft, so the 268 is an 8m boat. You could fit one of these inside the original 328PC (10m).
cheers

hookinin
03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Always thought the 268 powercat stood for 26 foot 8 metre:-/
Gaven

Dean1
03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Darren
His name was John Egar. After the original PC company he started OceanTrek, very similar looking boats, but much bigger. The original Powercats came as 288, 328, 408 and then the 248. The 248 got pods to make the 268 (from memory).

When the new owners took over some of the original molds were cut & shut & some scrapped. However, you can still clearly see the hull lines of the originals in the current breed, despite higher tunnels/hulls.

Dean1, 1m = 3.28 ft, so the 268 is an 8m boat. You could fit one of these inside the original 328PC (10m).
cheers The reason i thought the 268 was a 9m boat was that it was advertised in the trading post as a 30 foot boat. Ive never seen one in the raw so i was going by that. 30ft=9.14m My mate went for a run in it, he liked it but said one of the motors was playing up bigtime and wouldnt even start in the end. That steered him away, maybe it was something simple but he's just looking around at different models at the moment. Anybody know much about the big cougarcats?? Im sure baitrunner is a cougar, ive went in it years ago and it rode great. Thanks for the input, Dean.

snelly1971
03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Ha ha Mick nice try bud, but he wants to travel fast speeds in comfort ;) Note that tryhardhull onlydoes 18kts max speed :-/ You wont convert me, my mate reckons my 5.2 cat is a better ride than his mates 6.7 trihull by a long way. How r the swells down your way at the moment? 5 or 6 metres?? Good to see your still alive and well, cheers mate.

www.bom.gov.au/products/IDT65014.shtml

and throw 50 + knots on top of that Deano.....that would test your little pussy out

Mick

flotsom
03-04-2008, 11:22 PM
hay dean, what about a webster twin fisher, they are a cat anrn't they?

flotsom
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
steve & brendan do a wonderfull job on powercat, they have kicked real big goals. they are not similar to kevlacat or noosacat. you have my number, call me, please, i miss you dean xoxo.