PDA

View Full Version : switch panel in tinny

Flex
21-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Hi all. Anyone got any photos of your switch panel wiring in your tinny? I have small aluminium panel under one of my gunnels and im not sure if I should mount the switches straight in the panel. Or attach a plastic box to the panel and mount the switches in that.(means only drilling small holes in my aluminum panel to fit wires in)

so i'd love to see how some of you have wired up your boats...

marco
21-03-2008, 07:59 AM
in the long term it would pay to have the switches in a sealed enviroment , so a plastic box would be better so the rear of the switches are protected and even then spray them with a corrosion inhibitor

peterbo3
21-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Something along these lines perhaps ;D ;D ;D.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/IMG_0418Medium.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/IMG_0419Medium.jpg

dnej
21-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Peter,
Awsum.
David

CreelReaper
21-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Mate I have a bluefin outlaw 4.0m. Same problem as you. I dedided to buy an electrical switch box (plastic to safeguard against possible shorting) to place the switches and wiring in. Wasn't sure where i was going to locate it and only used silicone to temporarily attach it. I got the position right and she's still there with silicone after 9 months or so. Its been great...no holes!!!!

Peter.....awesome job mate, the tidiest I have seen in a long while.

Shane

CHAPPY
21-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I purchased the switch-board from Super-Cheap for $20 and mounted it in a clear topped floppy disc box. I only had to trim about 4mm off the panel with tin-snips.

The panel was mounted on 4 only 13mm x 13mm pine legs 60mm long. This kept the wiring 20mm above the floor of the box. Works well and easy to access and spray with wd40 before each trip.

The panel has
1 Anchor light
2 Nav Lights
3 Bilge pump
4 Aux 1 (Sounder)
5 Aux 2 (Live Well ? )

Rewgards
Chappy

Knackers
29-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for that fellas. Chappy your panel set up looks like something I'm wanting to do on mine. I don't 'spose you can post some pics to give us a better idea of your layout.
thanks Knackers

coucho
30-03-2008, 08:22 AM
mate tip for your wiring if your soldering your connections make sure you tin all exposed copper and heat shrink over them is also a good idea as it helps to keep moistuer out of your joints. Also when I wire my boats I don't use the hull as the earth run a return wire to a neutral link or the battery neutral as using the hull (like cars use the body) encourages ellectrollasis.

sea raider
31-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Something along these lines perhaps ;D ;D ;D.

Hi Peter,

That looks great, I am thinking of doing something similar to Sea Raider. The only difference is that I bought one of those Clipsal electrical boxes which I will still use.

Where did you get the heat shrink tubing with the writing on it? that's a great idea and one that I definitely didnt think of. Also, those bus bars are a great improvement on the ones I have, where did you get those.

Thanks

Geoff

moater
31-03-2008, 03:48 PM
G'day peterbo3,

Are the covered busbars the Blue Sea ones??...that you can get in either 6 or 12 terminal?

I'm looking to do a wiring job also--better late than never!