PDA

View Full Version : 1996 haines signature 537 pursuit enquiry??

choppa
20-03-2008, 08:52 AM
a fellow work collegue has asked the question on the above boat,,,,

when you look at it sitting on the trailer,,, it leans to starboard,,,,

the trailer itself is 100% true,,, and has no issues with being out of square

the boat itself tracks well once in the water, and the owner has been informed that this is a fault of the particular model????????

the actual hull mould was at fault,,, and of course the fault wasn't noticed until after production runs,,,,,,

has anyone else heard of this,,,,, doing a search on the subject has come up with zilch,,, but then again theres a hundred ways of listing it

choppa

FNQCairns
20-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Mmmm, it happens, has been happening for as long as fibreglass boats have been built, sometimes (most often??) the cause is as simple as the boat was pulled too early from the mold to save time and make room for the next one.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
20-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Choppa, have you looked under neath and checked where the rollers touch the hull. The rollers on mine on the left hand side can touch the strakes when not lined up properly and lift the hull on that side.

Let the boat settle and winch in straigh and it's okay, but nun the less check the rollers sometimes they just have to be moved up the hull on side and down the other. A quick check with a tape measure will do it.

choppa
20-03-2008, 11:33 AM
i tend to agree,,,, but normally ""stress"" marks will appear on gelcoat finish that gives this problem away,,,,, i'm under the belief that the owner is unaware of any issues here,,,

same with the trailer.... it has been to a manufacturer to check out as once more,,, the first belief was this was the problem,,,, but it passed all areas,,,

this is where the info on the "fault" stemmed from,,, the guy who runs the trailer company is actually ex haines,,, and ""apparently"" the hull mould is being blamed,,,

if you look at the boat from the bow,,, towards the stern,,,, the problem lays with the starboard side ""half"",,, being narrower than the port,,,,, that is if you drove a peg dead centre in the "v",,, starboard measures approx 20mm less than port to the outside of the gunnel

now personally,,, i've never heard of this,,, but i can understand why this would make the boat lean on a trailer,,,, haines were aware of the problem,, but still continued to manufacture the hull????????? (this i find hard to understand),,,

a problem with the mould would be an extremely costly affair to remedy,,, especially when your dealing with the entire side of the boat being effected,,, but i've never heard of this problem,,, nor seen any evidence,,,,

may be worth a trip with tape measures to find out

choppa

Roughasguts
20-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey that's interesting I guess 20mm ain't much and wouldn't effect the boat or the performance as much as 2 batteries on one side would.

Wonder how the Deck looks when that was bolted on, that should hava a 20mm gap that was filled on one side wouldn't it.

The guy that fitted my Signatue didn't have the best eye either, if you look closely at my bow rails you can see one is around 20mm higher than the other side.

I have seen a brand new carvel fishing boat with a twist in it.
Tha Austral eagle be around a 60 footer had a bad twist in it looking from behind.

Roughasguts
20-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey just measured mine from transom bung! to chine on both sides,
yes the bung is centralised.

Anyway I did it cause the boat handles well, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if she was out so I figured I could handle it. (so I though we'll see)

Well bugger me if she ain't 10 mm out ! at the transom, probably more so at mid sections, Anyway I guess I will have to measure it one day in the name of quality control.

So His is only out 10 mm more than mine.

Maybe Haines Sig thought seeing as I'm fairly heavy to have more bouyancy on the starboard side. Yeah I dought that too, anyway a salesman would try it.