PDA

View Full Version : which fish-id book?

Martijnf
18-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Hi guys,

I should be in Oz within the next 2 weeks to start fishing and since I have a bit of a handicap in the fish id-ing department compared to you locals I'll need a good companion in the form of a book.

Now I know Grant's guide is awesome, but it's also big, heavy and pretty expensive and therefore not the ideal thing to bring along on the road the whole time. Lots of other books I've seen deal only with a small portion of Oz.

Which book would you guys recommend I get? Ideally not too big/heavy, at a reasonable price but good enough that I won't need to put pics of half of my fish up here for id-ing.

Looking mainly for fishing but also for diving/snorkeling.

Thanks

BobbyJ123
18-03-2008, 05:16 AM
G'day mate, Grant's is the best but, as you say, it is big. A book I have is 'Guide To Sea Fishes" by Rudie Kuiter. It fails in that a few recognised edible species are not included and it is heavy on the coral fish, box and puffer fish.
A small book that is solely for the Qld fishos is "Reef Fish Field Guide" put out by the Qld Government, Dept. Primary Industries and Fisheries. (Coral Reef Fin Fish Management Plan)...I think it is free, well, I got mine for nix.

buzzard
18-03-2008, 05:41 AM
G'day Martin
Have a look at The Australian Fisherman's Companion by Harold Vaughan it should cover most of the fish your likely to come across.That's the only one i can think of at the moment.

Have fun on your trip.Keep us posted on how your going.

Cheers Mick

Mexikan
18-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I usually keep the Great Outdoors Tide Guide(color fish guide included) SE QLD and the Guide to Rec Boating and Fishing in Queensland(current) in the bottom of my tackle box in a sealed bag.My mates got a real good Fish guide.No idea who makes it but available at tackle shops that covers most australian fish and size limits in different states.It has laminated pages that are about 250mm by 80mm that flip out.Its light and great for the tackle box -anybody know it?
I also have Alistair McGlashan's The Complete Fishing Bible which I got for Christmas which is not bad for a home guide.
Mex

Lucky_Phill
18-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Martin,

I have a spare Harold Vaughan Fishermans Companion. It measures 21.5cms x 11.5cms x 17mm and weighs 363gms.

It is yours..... let me know when you arrive in Aust and where you'll be, if you start in Brisbane I'll get it to you no worries, but if you're turning up somewhere else, I can post it to an address of your choice.

problem solved.................

Cheers Phill

Martijnf
18-03-2008, 05:42 PM
ok sounds good.. Mexikan, I'll keep an eye out for that one in the tackle stores!

Mrs Ronnie H
18-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Martin

Grants is the best and you can buy it online. Google grants guide to fishes and you should come up with the site.
The author lives in Redcliffe and has released a few updated versions of the book over recent years. The price from memory was about $100.00 but worth it. If you want somethiong just to carry around for quick reference I think it is called the fishing companion, just a small book with nice color photos of most edible species.

Ronnie

Manjilad
29-03-2008, 03:01 AM
2 penith's worth ..... Australian Fish Guide by Frank Prokop, $25 at Bias Kmart ##### etc is very comprehensive and detailed BUT uses coloured drawings - well done, but not as good as real PICs for those "close" species. Hope you get to use your book often!
Cheers

fish_on
29-03-2008, 02:38 PM
qld fish guide, australian fish guide and yes grants is the best but about $100 and they are getting re printed. should be ready in two weeks ive been told