PDA

View Full Version : Chain for anchor line

Scott nthQld
17-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I've got a 16ft (about 4.85m) quintrex and am unsure on how much chain I should have on the anchor line. I've been told from as much as 7m down to 3ft. I've got about 1.5m on at the moment and it seems to do the job, but would like more for my own piece of mind. I was thinking to go just over boat length @ 5m of chain, but would this be excessive? I do a lot of mud anchoring in the estuaries, but lately have been travelling further a feild and plan to go futher, anchoring up on reefs and rocky outcrops etc.

Just wanting suggestions/confirmation as to what I was thinking. For those who want to know, fully loaded I guess weight would be about 700kg on the water.

Outsider1
17-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I have alway worked on having chain approximately equal to the length of the boat.

The other issues are the size of the chain, and rope, and types of rope. Here is a guide to help there;

http://www.safeboating.org.au/Boating/Go_boating_safely/PDF/Sea%20Safety%202%20-%20Essential%20Equipment.pdf

Cheers

Dave

ovakil
17-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a 7m fibreglass boat & have 20m of chain& 20 pound anchor,however I do have a winch to pull up anchor.So if I let enough line out I'm sure it wont move

MarkDiver
17-03-2008, 04:41 PM
There are heaps of sites if you google search 'anchor scope'. Scope = ratio of length of rode to the depth measured from the highest point (usually the anchor roller or bow chock) to the seabed.
Some of these sites will help you determine length of chain required - or pick up an anchoring brochure at your local BCF if you have one.
Personally, I don't think 5m is overkill for your boat if you want peace of mind. Also depends what size chain obviously. I'm thinking 6mm or 1/4"

Mark-P
17-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Mate it really depend on the weight of the boat & depth your fishing ... All though having said that i was fishin an artificial reef last year & was anchored up for the night , so i thought ... Woke up through the night on the beach with the rope cut through ( 3m of chain ) So it might depend on where & what your fishing on also !!

Mark

backlash08
17-03-2008, 05:43 PM
i've always gone lenght of boat + 1m

cheers

disorderly
17-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I've got about 1.5m on at the moment and it seems to do the job, but would like more for my own piece of mind. I was thinking to go just over boat length @ 5m of chain, but would this be excessive?

Dont go overboard Scott.
I have a 5.2 meter runaboat and when fishing shallow(>30m)used only 2 metres of chain..was mostly alright but would sometimes drag now I use 4 metres of chain and don't have a problem (often fishing up to 70-80m even with just a reef pick on shoaly ground).
I just make sure when anchoring at night to let out a bit more rope for piece of mind.
But remember someone still has to drag it up and in so only use what you feel is necessary.

Only problem I ever have is if the chain fouls the anchor but this can be overcome by controlling the rate of descent of the drop....hard to tell a deckie to do it though..

Scott

Scott nthQld
17-03-2008, 06:34 PM
no worries, thank all for your input. I picked up 5m of 6mm chain this arvo, I figure this will be more than enough. I won't be doing any fishing in really deep water maybe around 20-30m max. I've got another 2m of 10mm in the shed that I could always take along and join it up with a d-shackle if I'm fishing some tall jagged looking reef.

TheRealAndy
17-03-2008, 06:53 PM
The thing most people screw up is anchor size. The chain length (and weight) depends on the size of the anchor and is used to keep the shank of the anchor on the sea floor. If you anchor is too small, then using more chain will help, but you are better of getting the right size anchor for the job in the first place. As disordely said, some needs to haul it up somewhere along the line, so dont use to much.
I tend to find that in rouger conditions i just need to pay out more anchor line. If the water is deep then you are going to need a lot more line. Banging the boat in reverse once the anchor is on the surface can help bed it aswell.

I have set more anchors than I care to imagine, and as a deckie you are always the one getting screamed at! You quickly work out which anchors work and dont, and a small anchor with lots of chain does not always work. In saying that, I have learned a shitload over the years from getting screamed at and I know how to set an anchor!

For reef conditions using grapnel anchors, you may need more chain to prevent chafe. Chances are you are not sleeping on a grapnel (well I wouldn't trust one) so you can usually deal with it if you anchor line is cut. Grapnel anchors are cheap anyway.

levinge
18-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Scott, Rule of thumb that is quite regularly followed is length of boat = same length of chain, as in principle the chain is what holds you in place when at anchor and the anchor is predominently a pivot point. Mate has a Side Console plate and been out with him heaps of times, lay the anchor over the side, plus his length of chain, no backing up, just cut the motor and let the chain do the work.

Local_Guy
18-03-2008, 09:35 AM
2 metres of chain is manditory, or you need 1/3rd the length of the boat, which ever is larger.

FNQCairns
18-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Have a spare long piece of chain for those relatively rare times it will be needed, 1.5- 2m of 8-10mm chain is more than enough for day trips when you choose the day and the depth/area but be sure you can swap if needed with minimal fuss.

Hauling 5m+ of chain on a day trip would make me consider stying home.

cheers fnq

levinge
18-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Thats why I have 2 teenage sons who fish with me, haul that line young fella!!!

BrewGuru
18-03-2008, 09:02 PM
The new boats we sold at Merrylands Marine in Sydney came with 1.5 metres of chain and a heap of rope, I would suggest with the type of boat you have 2 metres would be all you need under any circumstance, with your boat the job of the chain is to give you the lowest point to pull on the anchor to set the anchor, the bigger the boat, the heavier the boat it all changes on your Quinne you certainly don't need to carry more than 2 metres of 8mm chain

Scott nthQld
18-03-2008, 09:23 PM
the reef anchor I use came off my dad's old boat, a 19ft stebercraft, so its a bit overkill for the tinny. I'm not really worried about the weight to pull tin the anchor, I'm 23, if I can't pull up 10kg of raope, chain and anchor, then there's something serioulsy wrong, or I'm just too damned lazy (most likely the latter, there's been times where I've just sat in the one spot with no fish biting cos it was too hot to come out from under the shade).

Gilli
19-03-2008, 06:43 PM
i got a 4 meter tinnie with about 1 meter of chain on it, it does the job but takes a lil bit to anchor it. im gonna purchase 4 meters of chain for each anchor but not sure wat thickness chain, what is recommended?i do a fair bit of shoal and estuary fishing.

cheers,
Chris

Outsider1
19-03-2008, 07:51 PM
i got a 4 meter tinnie with about 1 meter of chain on it, it does the job but takes a lil bit to anchor it. im gonna purchase 4 meters of chain for each anchor but not sure wat thickness chain, what is recommended?i do a fair bit of shoal and estuary fishing.

cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris,

have a look at this PDF link (I also posted it earlier in this thread). It has table on page 3 that matches boat size to recommended anchor, chain and rope sizes (and types);

http://www.safeboating.org.au/Boating/Go_boating_safely/PDF/Sea%20Safety%202%20-%20Essential%20Equipment.pdf

Cheers

Dave

Scott nthQld
19-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The current and new chain I have is 6mm coupled with 10mm silver staple rope. As per the link provided by Dave above, 6mm chain is recommended for boats under 5m.

Gilli
20-03-2008, 06:45 AM
hey outsider1,
thanks mate, going in to bcf or bunnings this weekend to get a few meters of chain.

cheers,
Chris

reidy
20-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Good day,
Ive always ran with chain length=length of boat.
Rope 3x average depth fished. i run with 3x because if i have to cut off i still have a least 2x depth remaining (safety factor)
Cheers
Reidy