PDA

View Full Version : Correct Outboard Flushing Procedure ??

Gerkin Head
17-03-2008, 03:03 PM
G'day All,

Can someone pls confirm the flushing process. I have a Yam 115 4str and currently I put the muffs on, run hose on hard, start her up and just let it idle for about 5 mins. Other times I start it with the throttle stick engaged forward into neutral. When in neutral, I'll give it a gentle rev whilst it is flushing. What exactly is the correct way to flush ? Idle, Neutral, In Gear ?
Appreciate your advise.

Blackened
17-03-2008, 03:06 PM
G'day

Flush as you have described, leave in neutral, but a knock into gear will do no harm.

If in doubt, consult your manual.

And also make sure the engine is pumping plenty of water, with the muffs having a good seal

Dave

Gerkin Head
17-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks Dave.

So just leave it in Neutral, or Neutral with stick engaged forward ? My throttle has a big black button at the front which I was told to press in whilst engaging stick forward for initial startup and then click back to Neutral after it has warmed up for a minute. This button overrides it from going into gear. Is that the position I should have the throttle in when flushing or just simple Neutral at 12 O'clock as your stick would be when you start the motor generally ??

screaming reels
17-03-2008, 03:52 PM
G'day G H ,mate Daves on the money but just to add a note i was told by a trusty outboard mechanic that you should not rev your motor above 2000rpm off the garden hose because of the water flow rate.cheers Brent

Chimo
17-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi GH

Read about what many AFs do to their motors
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=781250#post781250

73 % who replied (200+) use muffs
Also plenty of comments to read on inticacies of flushing::)

Cheers
Chimo

BaitThrower
17-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I just stick into a garbage can of water, turn on motor, let it run, making sure water is coming from telltale etc. I'll low rev it a couple times, and perhaps put it in gear for a couple secondsto get a bit of water rotating around the propeller shaft (probably doesn't do much though). Might help to flush the prop though of some salt that may have dried on it though?

Mac_Attack
17-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I run mine around 5-10 min and i disconnect the fuel hose so it runs dry, so next time i start up i haven't got old fuel sitting in the carby ;D
Cheers Nick 8-)

Blackened
17-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I run mine around 5-10 min and i disconnect the fuel hose so it runs dry, so next time i start up i haven't got old fuel sitting in the carby ;D
Cheers Nick 8-)

G'day

You wont have the old fuel sitting there, but chances are, you have robbed your engine from lubrication, and the question was regarding a 4/

Gerkin, Just use a normal start procedure, everything in neutral. Let it run and come up to operating temp(few mins) and a few seconds in forward or reverse will not hurt it (make sure the hose isn't in the way if using muffs)

Dave

Roughasguts
17-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't think it does the engine any harm to run it dry of fuel.
Every Aircraft I flew that was how you shut the engine down by pulling the mixture to idle cutoff. But all the same I don't let me boat motor run dry think it's better to have a wet carb than a dry and dusty one.

Blackened
17-03-2008, 07:03 PM
G'day

RAG, were the aircraft 2 stroke?

Dave

Lewy
17-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Doesnt the Yammy 115 4s have a flush point that you plug the hose into. I thought they all did from 30 up, Yamaha claim you dont have to run the motor
if you flush with it, although I still fire mine up for a view seconds just to rotate the impellor.

Regards

Lewy

Roughasguts
17-03-2008, 08:10 PM
G'day

RAG, were the aircraft 2 stroke?

Dave

Hi Dave good point Nup 4 bangers and turbo prop.

But would a 2 stroke be any differant there mainly Vro oil supply independant of the fuel supply. My oil gets injected straight to the crankcase.

MarkDiver
18-03-2008, 12:52 PM
It doesn't do much harm in reading the manual - I know it's the first thing that usually gets thrown in the bin or in the drawer for most however the basics are there assuming you ever had a manual.
Yamaha states that flushing with attachment device only is what is required. Deviating from this may affect your warranty assuming you have some.
Larger motors have volume pumps opposed to smaller range that have pressure pumps. The smaller range work fine with muffs however the larger range like my 225hp 4-stroke struggles with the garden hose as they need VOLUME of water pressure.
Running the motor is just an extra expense.

seamaid
18-03-2008, 01:59 PM
;D HI GH
I presume you purchased this rig off a Dealer, if so, they should have inducted you of proceedures in the operator's manual guide to that Yammie,
The Dealer I purchased my rig even supplied Ear Muffs that was appropiate to flush that particular motor.
Dealer s comments. A good flushing 5mins over
AS putting into gear & reving, over RPM's will cause damage to the engine, be carefull on this methord. contact your Dealer might be the go.
Be carefull of no obstructions around the spinning prop.
Best of boating Ged8-)

backlash08
18-03-2008, 04:28 PM
as mentioned with the 4s 115 yamaha, the handbook states to use the flushing connection, that is what I did with mine, never used muffs and never ran when flushing, personally I dont know what is best but the OEM hopefully does, sold the boat/motor now but never had an issue
cheers - Craig

honda900
18-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Gerkin Head,

You could use a flush bag making all options, in gear, neutral and rev's superfluous and the age old discussion around water pressure, too high, too low.

;)

Regards
HOnda

DR
18-03-2008, 11:47 PM
i use an old cut down wheelie bin, gets a better flow of water & is a hell of a lot quieter than muffs, usually idle for between 5-10 mins. i used to run it dry, but now i just make sure it gets kicked over regularly to keep everything working..