PDA

View Full Version : Wind effect - Awoonga vs Mondoran

BigChiefBarra
16-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Just wondering what the wind effect is like on Mondoran.

Being a Gladstone local Awoonga is the usual haunt, this wind is just not letting up....... Gets a bit rough for my 3.99 Seajay getting across the basin.

Is Mondoran any less effected by this non-stop wind ????

Cheers

Big Gaz

Magella
17-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Big Gaz,
Monduran is a far better lake to fish during strong winds as far as travelling and boat comfort goes but I would say about the same in the Fishability stakes goes.
I have read a lot about the strong winds we have had over the past few weeks and I reckon we are fairly lucky that we have had them. I beleive if we would have had hot still days on top of the recent inflows that the vegitation rotting under water would have drained the water of oxygen, but with the wave action caused by the wind this has helped put oxygen back into the water keeping it healthy. My thoughts anyway.

Cheers Foxie

Gordie
17-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Mate I have only fished Monduran and after leaving any of the ramps you will be heading west, open water and after 1 k you can take a right and work your way up the old river bed.

There will be more shelter the further you go therefore less wind. Well known for its timbers, but thats all I know, I have had a tone of fun in the sticks.

Have a look on Google earth. I always look at the ariel view before I go fishing to a new area.

Regards Gordon

darylive
17-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Big Chief Gazza,

Mate, where as Awoonga is like an inland sea and you need a ship if the wind is up; Monduran has a much smaller main bassin (should that be basin?) and many off shoots, it is not unlike a series of rivers.

I have a 3.85 Quinne and fish Monduran, I go to Awoonga with the mate who has a Stessl Truck. You can hide from the wind in Monduran. You can, and some have got lost at Monduran because it is a maze. Lay a track in the GPS or leave a trail of bread crumbs if you are coming home late. ;)

Know that has been blowing like hell at Rainbow and here on the Sunny Coast too, we have all had enough wind. I know I have! Pardon :o

CATFISH BEAU
18-03-2008, 08:50 AM
CHIEF,just back from fantastic weekend fishing at monduran with my mate DECKA
,landed 3 large barra lost 1. first an 85cm a great fight, then within 10 mins on again with a 88cm, he broke the peaceful setting and did a swaying dance across the top of the water with the sun set behind him. both fish landed, photo'd and released. next morning decka caught the 80cm in the sticks in a quiet side arm of the lake and the fish proceeded to wrap around a submerged tree top. we could see the fish below, but thought, well he's lost, untill decka's fish broke the branch and the fight continued untill landed. used 30lb braid with 60lb mono leader with xrap/ redhead, gold back & silver underbelly. conditions windy, but bearable as you can hide from the wind, down many of the branch arms of the lake. storm blew in on sunday arvo. next trip within weeks to DARWIN with our mate "BEAR"for runoff fishing. summary AWONGA if wind hits, we come down to monduran. (photo's to follow)

McCod
18-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah Gig Gaz as the blokes have said it's more sheltered @ Monduran.

But the fishing would be worth riding out those waves @ Awoonga at this point in time IMO;) .

Cheers Les

nipsta
18-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Big Chief Gazza,

Mate, where as Awoonga is like an inland sea and you need a ship if the wind is up; Monduran has a much smaller main bassin (should that be basin?) and many off shoots, it is not unlike a series of rivers.

I have a 3.85 Quinne and fish Monduran, I go to Awoonga with the mate who has a Stessl Truck. You can hide from the wind in Monduran. You can, and some have got lost at Monduran because it is a maze. Lay a track in the GPS or leave a trail of bread crumbs if you are coming home late. ;)

Know that has been blowing like hell at Rainbow and here on the Sunny Coast too, we have all had enough wind. I know I have! Pardon :o
what ya got on the back of ya 385 just curious i got a 385 with a 25hp just been sorting out a few drama with to much drag and heaps of spray coming out the back put a 50mill lift in the transom tested it this afternoon seems to be heaps better but still not good enough to conquer awoonga in rough condtion last time i was there waves where breaking on the boat ramp and a bloke in a green poly craft ("jason medcalf " which i didnt realise till later on ) was there at the same time so we helped each other out to get our boats in and i tell ya the ride across was the roughest i ever been i in my boat . so if ya gunner fish awoonga you need a good size hull if the wind is up to handle the crossing of the main basin to calmer waters

BigChiefBarra
20-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Have a 15hp 4stke Honda - so a bit underpowered. Really feel it when trying to ride the waves on Awoonga. This easter weekend is looking a bit better. Notice the early AM wind down to 5-7kms

NAGG
22-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Just wondering what the wind effect is like on Mondoran.

Being a Gladstone local Awoonga is the usual haunt, this wind is just not letting up....... Gets a bit rough for my 3.99 Seajay getting across the basin.

Is Mondoran any less effected by this non-stop wind ????

Cheers

Big Gaz

What about launching up the Boyne & fishing the river & the western side of the impoundment ? ...... It might still be wet ..... but nowhere near as dangerous

Nagg

BigChiefBarra
22-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Never launched up there, only have sedan !!!. Reading Jason's posts - water quality needs to improve up the Boyne still.

Actually braved the dam this morning with the young fella, actually saw some Barra jumping around the right hand side of Dingo.

Got off the water by 9am, before it got rough in the middle.