PDA

View Full Version : Landbased Questions

Dnepr_family
16-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Blokes!

I wonder if you can tell me what the rules/laws/guidelines are for fishing from landbased spots like pontoons, rock walls, etc.

I see "No Fishing" signs at most pontoons and wonder how literal that is?

Who can move you on?

Can you be fined?

What sort of fine would you cop?

Is it reasonable to still fish from pontoons if you're not making a nuisance of yourself?

How about areas that look shared private/public?

Example: At the southern end of Manly boat harbour there is a boat ramp... next to it there is a pontoon... fishing from the pontoon or the land next to the boat ramp will have you casting into the harbour... How do you reckon that'd go???

What does everyone else do??? Fish it till you get a kick in the pants???

Where can I learn more about what I can do and what I can't do?

Thx,

Dnepr (and wife)

theclick
16-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Usually a sign like that is just covering the council or owners a**e for it something goes wrong, like you fall in, or hit someone in the head with a big sinker ect.

If it says "fines apply" obviously fines apply, and if it's private property, stay off unless you want a good old trespassing fine

I dont think anyone is going to hassle you as long as you dont impinge on anyone else. And if someone does get angry at you, they will probably give you a warning first

Scott nthQld
16-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I'd also stay away from pontoons at boat ramps. They are there for a reason, and thats to assist boaties in launching and retrieving there boats, and I'm sure most will not appreciate having to dodge fishing lines and gear when trying to offload the family on the pontoon.

RayDeR
16-03-2008, 09:22 PM
G'day!

I am sure some pontoon owners would be banning fisherman if the fishermen leave a mess like I see on some public jetties.

About two years ago in a lunchtime stroll i got talking to a guy cleaning up the mess left on Woody Point jetty. It included rocks and debri left by cast netters and bait, scales and stuff left by line fishers.

He also pointed out the bottles that were dropped over the edge into the water.

Ray de R

Nicko
16-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Fish wherever you want in public places!

Even if a police man did drive past the ramp doing there regular run-by checks I doubt that they'd stop and ask you to stop fishing off the pontoon.
If they did come over to you I doubt they'd fine you, just ask you to move on.

blaze
17-03-2008, 10:11 AM
maybe some of the answer thus far show why fisho's get a bad name. All about respect. If there is a no fishing sign then its there for a reason, maybe we see it as wrong but thats the way it is. Me being an old fart (kids definition) would go and ask the owner of the pontoon/ jetty and seek permission to fish it. Found this has worked well for me over many years shooting and fishing and have rarely not been granted access to a property to persue my fishing and shooting. Why you ask, I have shown the owner respect. Do the right thing
cheers
blaze

Captain_Zero
17-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Mate, there are plenty of places around Manly (Brisbane) you can fish without getting in anyone's road. Try the rock wall on the southern or Northern end of the harbour with live bloodworms (Watertower Bait and Tackle sell live worms) for bream and whiting. You can also walk out the mouth of Lota creek at low tide and fish in to the channel (bream, whiting, flathead, flounder, pike on bait (pump yabbies there) or soft plastics. If you want to fish the Harbour you can try the Gunn Jetty ( I , or even try along the Esplanade at mid tide (plenty of pontoons and yachts you can cast at and even the chance of a squire (my best 39cm). You won't get a feed every time but you will usually catch something.