PDA

View Full Version : price vs service

charlieash
16-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Guys this is a curiousity question What do you reckon qualifys as good service and whats more important price or service .? Allso do you rekon its a benefit to have a longterm relationship with your marine dealer.

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 07:45 PM
be keen to see what goes on here :)

Wahoo
16-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Guys this is a curiousity question What do you reckon qualifys as good service and whats more important price or service .? Allso do you rekon its a benefit to have a longterm relationship with your marine dealer.

for me its service, have known my dealer for over 15yrs, this guy is straight down the line, have brought 4 motors off this guy and a heap of acc, have not a bad word about him, price of his service is same as others, only thing is he is 110ks from home, but im more than happy to travel

Daz

MarkDiver
16-03-2008, 08:26 PM
be keen to see what goes on here :) I'm with you S_K - I'm going to take a deep breath and walk away from the PC before I start taking my frustration out on my keyboard..watch this space tomorrow>>>:o

gawby
16-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I remember a post on here the other night that got ugly
because the same sort of thing was asked without any
details from the original question.
Why do you ask charlieash?
Did you have a bad experience or did you have a good experience?
Graeme

hungry6
16-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I have always been a believer of good service even if it costs more. I despite business which lacks decentcy and customer service.

Wahoo
16-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I remember a post on here the other night that got ugly
because the same sort of thing was asked

must of missed it :-/

Daz

BrewGuru
16-03-2008, 09:05 PM
It is quite an easy question, I would have thought, no service = no quality = no feed back = no after sales service = no quality control
I WILL PAY FOR SERVICE EVERY SINGLE TIME
I believe in building a business relationship with the mob that are looking after your boating interests while you are at sea, at the end of the day with the chain of responsibilty, it is up the your service provider to ensure your upmost safety whilst on the water with the equipment they have serviced or provided you with.
It amazes me that people are prepared to save a dollar to cost a dollar down the track.
No different to the guy that runs around town looking for cheap petrol to save 2cents a litre in petrol, if his tank was totally empty at a capacity of 65 litres he has save $1.30 less the time running around town, less the fuel wasted waiting in the cue.
Cheaper is not the best, would you buy an ACME outboard from China or would you use a reputable brand with a reputable dealer?

charlieash
16-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Gawby i ask as i said out of curiosty . allot of guys on this this site talk about getting riped off because they paid a couple of bucks to much. And others seem to screw every last cent out of everyone . I know youve got to watch the pocket and i use to enjoy getting the best deal possible. now however i dont get the time and ive been doing bussiness with the same guys for just over 2 years . Not only do i enjoy a freindly relationship with most of the staff but the longer ive delt with them the more i ve been looked after . I may not always get the cheapest price on everthing i buy from them and i still read other catalogs plus look around the net ,but on the whole i rekon im miles in front with very little agrevation.some times theres a bit of give and take but yeah id say its a good experience8-)

gawby
16-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Point taken but i wasn't having a go at you just wondering
about the queston.
I get my services done at WhiteWater Marine at Labradore
and i think it is at a good price.
Dave and Clint there are very helpful in giving out advise
and their work seems to be of quality.
Not getting a lot of time at home i don't get time to shop
around so i have my trust in them.
Graeme

sleepygreg
16-03-2008, 11:19 PM
theres an old saying in business, you get what you pay for. those that are looking to screw everylast cent out of a deal will more than likely be met with a dealer who will try to screw every last cent out of them. In the end nobody wins.....the buyer gets a dodgy deal and the dealer goes belly up cos he cant afford to pay his bills. Everyone is entitled to a fair deal........both parties......be it sales or service...if you want a cheap job done...you will get a cheap job done. If you want the right job done.....it may cost a little more than the cheap one. It all comes down to how happy you are with the service provided. If you are paying top dollar, and its not done right...that is the time to complain. I used to deal with a mob in Sydney.....that were quite a distance from where I lived at the time, they werent the cheapest place in town, but ver twenty years of dealing with them, and having bought three new boats from them and had them all serviced with them (even though it was a pain in the arse to get em there) there were a couple of small issues during that time, which were all fixed with some calm and fair conversations, faults on both sides...but all worked out......I would never hesitate to do business with them if I was still living in Sydney. And i dont mind telling you it was Hunts Marine at Blakehurst. I live in Brissy now so i dont have anything to gain by this. They even told me to buy a boat from a brissy dealer when i was at the sydney boat show last year, because they couoldnt match the deals that the qld dealers go ton Quinnies. I really wanted to give them my business....but they had my best interest in mind. All cudos to them...thats what i call a 'good business'. Thats the sort of business attitude you need to be looking for in your dealers.....and im sure there are many up here that fit that bill.....I am rather keen to keep an eye on Crew Marine at Redliffe, having spoken to a couple of the guys there, they seem to be travelling down a similar path to the dealers that I like doing business with.

Cheers

Greg

TheRealAndy
17-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I will happily pay a bit more for good service, but within reason. I will not be ripped off at the same time.

My car is a good example, I pay through the nose for dealer service and they have been shit house (see 4wd forum re navara offroad). Needless to say, I will not be using them anymore and will be paying less for a decent mechanic to give me better service.

Noelm
17-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I guess one thing to remember here is a very simple fact, good service costs NOTHING to supply, but it is no use being an Internet/ebay shopper and then when what you bought has a drama and you go to a dodgey discount dealer or even a good dealer, then whinge because they charge you $50 for something, in the long term it is quite simple, if you find a good dealer and has what you want, why would you look elsewhere, you will find that in the end, what you saved by getting a super deal (say) in a box or not installed or whatever, will be more than covered when the true good dealer installs the item for you (motor or accessory does not matter) if you bought it from then, there will be a whole host of goodies just thrown in because it is part of the deal, do it yourself and you are forever running back and forth getting a few S/S screws (if you even use S/S at home), a good example of all this (but not Boaty) was last week I was looking for a new LCD TV, looked at all the Chain Stores, got a price, but had to pay for delivery, and install unless I wanted to do it my self, then went to my favorite Family owned business, and their price was $60 more, mmm not too much I thought when you consider they do all repairs there as well, BUT then after a bit of further looking at different models and so on, I did the deal and as usual their price included instalation (including any cables needed) plus free delivery, so now who was cheaper??? not the fancy Chain Store, that's for sure!

FNQCairns
17-03-2008, 08:25 AM
So where is the middle ground? 0.2 more money, 0.5 more money? double the cost?

Hard to rationalise why we consumers feel need to have this conversation.

cheers fnq

charlieash
17-03-2008, 09:04 AM
actualy good service does cost! it normaly cost someones time or expertise. Qualified experts dont come cheap and in business neithier does some ones time;D

ozbee
17-03-2008, 09:32 AM
if you can afford it go with the service there the guys who fix things before they become a problem if you cant shop around and become motor wise you will save enough which might just be enough to stay in what you have. the cheapest price is not always the best.

Noelm
17-03-2008, 10:07 AM
charlie, up to a point, you are correct, BUT to provide good service over crap service takes about the same amount of time, I have been to places where I was treated like I had the Plague, and it would not have cost the company anymore for a salesman to come and talk to me, as distinct from just hoping I would go away, sort of what happens in big Department stores I guess (but not all)

charlieash
17-03-2008, 11:25 AM
no argument on that

charlieash
17-03-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm with you S_K - I'm going to take a deep breath and walk away from the PC before I start taking my frustration out on my keyboard..watch this space tomorrow>>>:o
watching in anticapation

TheRealAndy
17-03-2008, 09:03 PM
My tip is to use you good judgement. If you are getting good service then stick with it. If you find yourself continually asking questions and getting dumb answers then perhaps its time to move on.

BrewGuru
17-03-2008, 09:28 PM
charlie, up to a point, you are correct, BUT to provide good service over crap service takes about the same amount of time, I have been to places where I was treated like I had the Plague, and it would not have cost the company anymore for a salesman to come and talk to me, as distinct from just hoping I would go away, sort of what happens in big Department stores I guess (but not all)
Don't know what age group you are Noelm, but i have had my own trucking transport company for 12 years.

I got my truck licence 8 months ago.
I bought my first truck 18 months ago
I bought my second truck 9 months ago
I bought my 3rd truck 3 months ago.

The business was built on service alone, nothing but service, service, service.
That is what we did, provide the customer with whatever they needed and spoil them rotten, they had other jobs to do and transport which they werent learned in was a pain the proverbial, we subcontracted everything out to meet the customers demands.
The cheapest price is false economy, I hope in the future you will enjoy the luxury of trouble free purchasing