PDA

View Full Version : 23' Sharkcat goes over Ulladulla

boatboy50
16-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Anyone know what happened to the 23ft Sharkcat that went over at Ulladulla, southern NSW today?

From the limited footage I saw it was a 23ft Shark Cat with single sterndrive engine.

The fisherman have been rescued ok after clinging to the upturned hull.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=392461

Anyone have any fact on what actually happened?

Regards

Darren

wadeo
16-03-2008, 08:07 PM
gday boat boy. yahoo 7news says 4.5m cat

gawby
16-03-2008, 08:20 PM
The news report said they were hit by a
large wave.
Not much more reported than that but were rescued by a passing trawler.
Both men in good health.

Graeme

boatboy50
16-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Wadeo,

I saw the pics on TV, and it was definately bigger than 4.5m.

Had all the traits on the hulls of a 23. I havn't seen pics of it right side up though, so could be corrected.

The transom also looked like the single sterndrive version too.

Regards

Darren

chop duster
16-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I thought it was a single outboard from the 2 second clip i saw. Not sure though

Noelm
17-03-2008, 07:33 AM
as usual, there is a dozen different reports here (typical news reporting) when it first happened, it was reported as an Aluminium twin hull (it did have a single Outboard) then it was a large family runabout, next it was an unknown catamaran, so I guess somewhere in there is the truth, going from the pictures I saw (they were pretty bad) it certainly LOOKED like a single Outboard Cat about 5 metres long, but untill someone sees it on land or something, we may never know for sure.

John Buoy
17-03-2008, 12:38 PM
as usual, there is a dozen different reports here (typical news reporting) when it first happened, it was reported as an Aluminium twin hull (it did have a single Outboard) then it was a large family runabout, next it was an unknown catamaran, so I guess somewhere in there is the truth, going from the pictures I saw (they were pretty bad) it certainly LOOKED like a single Outboard Cat about 5 metres long, but untill someone sees it on land or something, we may never know for sure.

Boat was 4.2 mt Webster :(

Regards Frank

Noelm
17-03-2008, 01:53 PM
OH is that a positive ID?? as it turns out, one of the guys lives just a Klm from me.

ozbizweb
17-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Anyone know what happened to the 23ft Sharkcat that went over at Ulladulla, southern NSW today?

From the limited footage I saw it was a 23ft Shark Cat with single sterndrive engine.

The fisherman have been rescued ok after clinging to the upturned hull.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=392461

Anyone have any fact on what actually happened?

Regards

Darren

I think you should change the subject line of your post Darren. :)

Shark Cats do not get rescued by trawlers. Shark Cats tow trawlers in.

boatboy50
17-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Noel,

Could you check it out for me.

I'm always interested in what happened and how.

I knew deep down it couldn't be a 23. They simply don't have any problems! They are bullet proof!!!

Regards

Darren

P.S. Gladly change the post name if proven wrong and I can!

cormorant
17-03-2008, 03:41 PM
News report with their names - 4.5m boat?
Glad they are safe. Tell us what you hear Noel.
Anyone know what swell and waves were out there ?

Rescued fishermen released from hospital

Two NSW south coast men found clinging to their overturned catamaran after a 34-hour ordeal at sea have been discharged from hospital.

A fishing trawler found the missing men about 2.15pm (AEDT) Sunday, clinging to their overturned craft approximately five nautical miles east of Burrill Lake, near Ulladulla.

The men, aged 45 and 40, had set off on a fishing trip from Kiama about 4am on Saturday.

They were Josif Necovski, from Barrack Heights, and Troy Veljanovski, of Warilla, News Limited reported.

A spokeswoman for Wollongong Hospital, where the men were airlifted on Monday, said they had been discharged just before midday.

However, she could not disclose any more information about them.

"As of last night and this morning they were not keen to talk to any media nor for anything to be released other than they are in a stable condition," she said.

"The fact that they've been discharged, that's a good thing."

Earlier, a man who helped rescue the two fishermen said they would not have survived another day in open seas.

Rocky Pirello, captain of the trawler that picked up the men, said it was unlikely they could have survived much longer.

"I don't think they would have lasted the next night, I don't think they would have lasted another 24 hours," Mr Pirello told the Nine Network.

He said the boat had been capsized by a freak wave and had been drifting all night.

"They (the fishermen) told me that they just got a freak wave about 11 o'clock and that was it and then they were drifting all night."

He said the men were very tired and emotional.

"They were very emotional, they were sunburnt, they were just real tired."

In a similar incident last month the skipper of a prawn trawler died after his vessel sank off the NSW north coast.

Two deckhands on board the vessel survived, one after spending 30 hours in open ocean, and another after swimming 12 hours to a beach near Byron Bay.