PDA

View Full Version : Need help to buy a small boat

alvinlsj
16-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi all,

Before you read on, please bear in mind that I am totally new to boating!! :)

Ok, here is my story...
I am a looking to buy a small boat to go fishing around the river.
- The boat have to carry 2-4 adults.
- I don't have a boat license, so I am restricted to 6hp or below motor (if I am not wrong)

Dinghy or inflatable with a 6hp motor or electronic motor is currently in my mind.
What do you think?

Questions:
1. Is 6hp motor or electronic motor powerful enough to carry 4 adults?
2. What is the min. recommended boat size for 4 adults?
3. What kind of boat motor should I go for? Is electronic one good enough? What is the preferred brand?
4. Should I go for a dinghy or inflatable?
5. If I go for inflatable, should I consider getting a boat trailer? How long does it take to prepare an inflatable?
6. What is price range should I be looking at (lets say if I buy everything brand new) Boat + motor/outboard + trailer?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

reelchippy
16-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Here we go

No 30hp min
4.2m
No petrol
Tinne
Boat trailer
$7,500.00Cheers

BrewGuru
16-03-2008, 07:39 PM
6 Hp is good probably up to 12' alloy dinghy, if yo are fishing 3 is more than enough, when you start thinking about fishing gear, eskies etc.
Inflatables IMHO are great but severely effected by wind especially if you have to resort to rowing. Pricewise alloy is cheaper than inflatable.
As far as motor it depends if you are fishing dams or rivers and creeks and if the latter you have to go petrol, more grunt for your dollar, because even the rivers can get a bit rough in a blow and you're not relying on battery power to get you home, bad senario would be an inflatable with an electric motor in a storm, you would get nowhere fast.
I recently purchased a new Suzuki 6hp 4 stroke engine a 3.5 Stacer mtr alloy and a redco trailer to suit for just below $5000.
Go for a drive down to your local river boat ramp and see what everybody else is using and ask some questions..Cheers

ED

reelchippy
16-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Here we go
No 30hp min
4.2m
No petrol
Tinne
Boat trailer
$7,500.00Sorry about the quickie cheers

Have a lot a this
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125089

BaitThrower
16-03-2008, 07:58 PM
1. 6Hp will push you, just not very fast :-/ Get yourself a license mate. It's a 1-day course for about $140-$150 and not many people fail :P Then you can get a 30Hp as recommended.

2. I think you need 3.5m minimum to carry 4 adults legally.
3. You need petrol motor for sure. Unless you are only doing lakes/dams, then you will need a 54lb electric, and then dont expect to go too fast!
4. Dinghy/tinnie
5. Trailer for dinghy/tinnie :)
6. Depends if you get license and larger motor. A good 30hp motor new will cost a bit, then add new boat and trailer... $10k+ quite easily... Maybe even closer to $20k new (depending on boat/motor size etc).

Scott Ashe
17-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi mate,

I agree that you should be looking at something in the 4-4.2m range to carry 4 people.

Aluminium is the better choice , as it is lighter, and requires less horsepower to power it. This also makes the initial purchase price cheaper than the same size glass boat.

Yamaha is one of the better brands of outboard engines on the market today.

If you can afford brand new, it's definately the way to go. I purchased a new Allycraft Rhino 4.10m with a 25 Yamaha 4 strok e with power trim and tilt and Redco Trailer for $10,250 in June 2007.

If you go second hand, get some professional to check it out before you hand over your hard earned.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Scott

nigelr
17-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I agree with reelchippy.
Basic 25-30hp 2 stroke tiller steer motor/4.2metre pressed aluminium dinghy/galvanised unbraked single-axletrailer/regos/safety gear packages etc from approx $7000 new.
Will adequately carry 4 adults and a bit of gear, but performs much better with 1 or 2.
You could spend a lot more, but this is a cheap way to start up.
Check publications such as 'Trailerboat' for packages available.
Make sure you or someone else check the build quality of the boat/trailer before parting with your cash, some of the pressed tinnies can suffer from monday/friday itis!
My Stessco 4.2 tinnie/trailer/30hp Tohatsu tiller steer package was around $7,500 new in '03.
I've been very happy with boat, trailer and motor, although some have had issues with the build quality of Stessco.
Obviously, you won't get a Fisher for the price of a Stessco, ultimately you do get what you pay for, so it will come down to your dollars.
Cheers.