PDA

View Full Version : Size Matters

MarkDiver
16-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I must first admit to having some kind of boating obsession, I just LOVE :P boats and cannot drive or walk past a boat no matter what size without having a quick look - the truth is out.

I have noticed of late talking to people many would like or dream of having a bigger boat ;) - maybe a bloke thing??

WOULD YOU LIKE (OR DO YOU DREAM OF) HAVING A BIGGER BOAT THAN THE ONE YOU CURRENTLY HAVE?

Come on, spill the beans...

(By the way, if the weather wasn't so cr@p I'd be out fishin' instead of typing polls like this, I promise ;D )

Scott nthQld
16-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd love to have a bigger boat, it would open up so many more options for me, but admittedly would also close down the estuary side of things. But I'm nearly over estuary fishing, I want to spend more time exploring the offshore reefs, and for that I need a bigger, heavier boat

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 04:28 PM
A lot of hidden costs when you upgrade to a bigger boat....like trailers , vehicles and a place to store it:P

I upgraded last year and was hoping to keep the actual towing weight under 2500kg's unfotunately this did not happen so to be legal I had to upgrade the car as well... much to my missus delight.

reelchippy
16-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I'd love to have a bigger boat, it would open up so many more options for me, but admittedly would also close down the estuary side of things. But I'm nearly over estuary fishing, I want to spend more time exploring the offshore reefs, and for that I need a bigger, heavier boat

Spot on scott
Always you need two boats if your in the dreaming mode

PinHead
16-03-2008, 04:32 PM
absolutely not...last November sold the 30' sports ctuiser we bought in August 2005..now have an 18' trailer boat...better with the little boat and about 10k per annum (berthing fees, anti foul, insurance, maintenance etc etc et ) left in my pocket also.

Marlin_Mike
16-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Crusie Craft 680 would be nice :)

BM
16-03-2008, 04:59 PM
What about a Bertram 20, fully restored, totally renewed interior, toilet, helm seats etc etc etc , remanufactured 4 cylinder 190hp sterndrive and remanufactured transom assembly.

New carpets, hull liner, bunk cushions, side pockets, canopy, side curtains and storm cover (or camper back).

Painted in colours to suit your requirements and trimmed accordingly.

Full roller Dunbier tandem trailer (brakd on both axles) as new, been in the water once (and thats actually true!!)

Colour sounder, colour GPS, 27 Meg or VHF, switch panels for whatever......

Complete and utter turn key package for low $30K.

Cheers

northernblue
16-03-2008, 05:16 PM
What about a Bertram 20, fully restored, totally renewed interior, toilet, helm seats etc etc etc , remanufactured 4 cylinder 190hp sterndrive and remanufactured transom assembly.

New carpets, hull liner, bunk cushions, side pockets, canopy, side curtains and storm cover (or camper back).

Painted in colours to suit your requirements and trimmed accordingly.

Full roller Dunbier tandem trailer (brakd on both axles) as new, been in the water once (and thats actually true!!)

Colour sounder, colour GPS, 27 Meg or VHF, switch panels for whatever......

Complete and utter turn key package for low $30K.

Cheers

Have you still got her BM?
I remember the photo you posted on another place, what two or more years ago?
Can you post some finished photos?

BrewGuru
16-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I have had boats all my life, started with canoe fishing when I was 14, now 50, I have always stuck arond the 14 - 16 foot mark mainly with estuary, bay,creek fishing with the occasional offshore experience in my Seafarer V-Sea
(fantastic little boat and highly underated).
I hadn't used the V-Sea for a few years but I still enjoyed my fishing, the past 11 years I have been going on a charter boats with a few mates and fell in love with the "South Pacific 2" owned and skippered by Ron Jenyns it is an old 72' Norman Wright Job in beautiful condition, that does Brisbane from March to July then heads up North as a mother ship for the Marlin Season. http://www.southpacificcruises.com.au/cap.htm
I was fortunate enough to be in a financial position to purchase a smaller version a 46' Norman Wright with a similar layout, being very niave at the time thinking a moored boat, FANTASTIC!!!! every thing is aboard, just jump in and go, how wrong I was.
A timber vessel 46foot long, 20 tonnes. single screw, a whole lot of learning has been acquired since the purchase 12 months ago. The difference is like riding a pushbike then jumping into a semi trailer, been great though I have thoroughly enjoyed the learning curve and nor would I return to the 14 - 16 footers

Brumby
16-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Nope, I've bought and sold a few boats and my Mustang is as close as it's going to get without spending 3 times as much. Small enough to trail without too much fuss, but big enough for three and a dog to camp for a night or two. Given that I'm not much of a fisherman, I'd probably only replace it with a more modern bridgedeck version or else a Signature 702 SB - for the sake of an enclosed head and the extra bunk.

Horse
16-03-2008, 06:15 PM
fell in love with the "South Pacific 2" owned and skippered by Ron Jenyns it is an old 72' Norman Wright Job in beautiful condition, that does Brisbane from March to July then heads up North as a mother ship for the Marlin Season. http://www.southpacificcruises.com.au/cap.htm

IMHO it is probably the best looking vessel in Australian waters. Just classic.

Big boats (we have a 56' er) cost a lot to keep and the maintenance is high. A smaller boat is easier to use and less stress to get ready. Horses for courses of course

Cheers

Neil

Tassie JR
16-03-2008, 06:33 PM
At the momement im happy with my little 12 footer for my first boat, i am still able to go offshore all the time in the old mans 21 footer so im set for offshore and estury fishing, but i would love my own offshore rig, Maybe in 12 months time.

cheers tassie JR

Oh Gee
16-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Got a 4.1M quinny, but wouldent mind an exrta metre longer and 300mm wider and a little bit higher, but it was all I could afford so it does me just fine for now.;D

g

woodsy76
16-03-2008, 07:11 PM
got a bluefin tomcat happy as a pig in mud or whatever.

nigelr
16-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Like to go from a 4.2 open to a 4.8 - 5.0 cuddy.
More practical for bar crossings, but still affordable to use and easy enough for single-handling.
Cheers.

MarkDiver
16-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Interesting results so far! (For those unaware there is a "View poll results" button at the top of the page)
All valid points fellow ausfishers, thanks and keep them coming. You are definitely proving my missus wrong assuming that the overwhelming majority would indeed prefer a bigger boat.
Spaniard_King:I've also experienced the 'hidden costs' course during upgrades and let me warn others that from trailers to marina berths it is another 'kettle of fish'
Having a back injury it is a pleasure to just step onboard and not fuss with a trailer anymore.
BM: You'd have to be a salesman to spot an opportunity like this to post your vessel. See mine in 'For Sale - Boats' section
Last point regarding costs..it is a lifestyle we are talking about here! Personally I find the pleasure and stress relief is priceless.

Xahn1960
16-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Size is relative to ones needs, Mine ( 6.4m ) is small enough to lug it the 10 hr drive to the nearest beach but big enough to be comfortable. If I lived closer to the ocean it might be a different story :)

Bill.

tigermullet
17-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Horses for courses but I hope never to get back to anything under 30ft again. Costs can be contained if the swing mooring option is chosen and a larger boat gives a lot of comfort.

With proper facilities you can stay out for as long as you like.

Sure, they are a bit of work but being able to stay out or even live aboard gives a real sense of freedom.

I'm off for ten days - leaving in a few hours. Yay!

gawby
17-03-2008, 07:08 AM
I voted No i am happy with what i've got. 555 Yalta
However if i get a good run and save a few dollars
i would like to upgrade to the 615 Yalta with the
200 4/s yamaha on it.
My budget was right with the 555 and costs bugger
all to run.
Grand Hotel ramp out to 36s troll around and whatever
back to the ramp and use less than $30- in fuel.
Graeme

on-one
17-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Marina births aren't always more expensive than a trailer. When we bought we wanted something comfortable for 2 or 3 days so 22ft plus - we had a small car and live in a flat so there's nowhere to keep a boat. A marina birth is a lot cheaper than buying and running a landcruiser and paying for storage somewhere.

STUIE63
17-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I voted yes . but if I did then I would also want a smaller boat to go crabbing in the creeks and such
Stuie

Noelm
17-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I guess as with all things, we can never have the perfect car/Boat/caravan/camper, they are all what we can use to the best of our limited time and resources, so I guess an 18 to 21 foot centre console would be just about the best all round option (a cat of course) and a small tinny as well, as for a moored Boat, unless it is 40' or more, it is more trouble than it is worth, smaller and they are not big enough to actually go anywhere, but still have all the downsides of a moored Boat, like painting/maintenance, vandalism, fees, bird crap, needing to drag everything to the Boat, then back again at the end of the day, a major ordeal to do anything, because it is on the water and whatever you need is NOT! I guess a moored Boat would be great if you had a pile of cash and could just pay a "man" to do anything that needed to be done and just turned up to take it out when you felt like it, but without that cash, forget it!

MarkDiver
17-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I guess as with all things, we can never have the perfect car/Boat/caravan/camper, they are all what we can use to the best of our limited time and resources, so I guess an 18 to 21 foot centre console would be just about the best all round option (a cat of course) and a small tinny as well, as for a moored Boat, unless it is 40' or more, it is more trouble than it is worth, smaller and they are not big enough to actually go anywhere, but still have all the downsides of a moored Boat, like painting/maintenance, vandalism, fees, bird crap, needing to drag everything to the Boat, then back again at the end of the day, a major ordeal to do anything, because it is on the water and whatever you need is NOT! I guess a moored Boat would be great if you had a pile of cash and could just pay a "man" to do anything that needed to be done and just turned up to take it out when you felt like it, but without that cash, forget it!
Interesting comments - I'm 'fortunate enough' to have the financial burden :'( of both a trailer and a moored boat at present and would like to add these thoughts

the trailer boat also has maintenance, vandalism, fees, bird crap, needing to drag everything in/out depending circumstances
Anti-foul is once a year, you can leave most of your gear onboard, hose the boat off in the marina, not being tide dependant, not mess around on boat ramps/parking etc., no trailer fees & maintenance, single-handed launch..THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO A FISH :-/

PinHead
17-03-2008, 05:19 PM

Noel..with a moored boat all you take along is a few clothes and some food..the fridge was always left running on the boat and always full of liquid refreshments..never any problems with vandalism . The best part of havign a moored boat was that I could arrive there any time of day or night and head off..no waiting no delay and same on return.
The only reason we sold it is that we were only driving it about 12k and then staying elsewhere then drive it back. Can now take the smaller boat and do the same..same lifestyle without a lot of the expense.
At least i have been fortunate enough to have experienced that style of boating..lots would like to and cannot..so that is something I can say I have done..it was not a fishing boat but was very relaxing on board whenever we were out on it.

BrewGuru
17-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I voted yes . but if I did then I would also want a smaller boat to go crabbing in the creeks and such
Stuie

Most moored boats come with a tender, you get the best of both worlds.

I love my moored boat, but there is a whole different bunch of challenges, which are OK as long as you are aware of them,
Stern glands, pretty important thing, that is where you drive shaft hangs out in the H20 and swings the prop, the stern gland is the bit that lets the drive shaft spin and keeps the water on the outside and the air on the inside at the point where the shaft leaves the hull, if that goes, you sink.
Turn all power off the boat at the mooring except your bilge pumps, which should be automatic.
No your draft and know your height, shits loads of diesel on board guard against diesel bugs and condisation in the tanks.

I love it .... all good learning for me\

on-one
17-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Noelm, I have to disagree. I don't have piles of cash to pay people to work on my boat and it's far from a major ordeal to do anything. I've got an old boat that needs a lot of work but, for me, it doesn't get much better than spending the day on the water at the marina working on the boat.

Outsider1
17-03-2008, 10:06 PM
" Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolute nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing -- about -- in -- boats; messing -- -- "

From Wind in the Willows

Coontakinta
18-03-2008, 04:22 PM
MD, good to know I aint alone. Always looking no mater what the size or where its at. Whether it be behind a car on the highway, waiting for its crew on the poontoon, at the wash bay, where ever. Not sure why, I jusg like looking at and talking boats. Not that I'm an expert or anything...far from it!

As for a bigger boat sure. Have recently gone from a 3.8m open stacer to the 5m Razerline, but something bigger again would be great. However, as spaniard king has mentioned, I'd need another tow vehicle, a bigger house with a bigger shed and more $ to maintain and use the thing.

Guess, I too am one of the lucky ones as my wife wanted me to keep the stacer as well.8-) Its about to have a bit of a refit with casting decks and a floor and then its off to be born again down on the Glenelg River in Nelson;)

stick
18-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Ive got a 20' bertram with a podded donk. Great for outside around here and the trailer allows a keen boat enthusiest plenty of time to "fiddle" about with different ideas, a lot of which come from this forum. Bit hard to apply this new found knowledge on a swing mooring. As good as this boat setup / hobie is i do miss the ease of a 14' tinnie for those after work winter bream sessions. Two boats is definitly the way to go. Got the 30 horse in the shed. If i could just convince her of the need for a polycraft.......

MarkDiver
18-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Ive got a 20' bertram with a podded donk. Great for outside around here and the trailer allows a keen boat enthusiest plenty of time to "fiddle" about with different ideas, a lot of which come from this forum. Bit hard to apply this new found knowledge on a swing mooring. As good as this boat setup / hobie is i do miss the ease of a 14' tinnie for those after work winter bream sessions. Two boats is definitly the way to go. Got the 30 horse in the shed. If i could just convince her of the need for a polycraft.......
There's gotta be a way to convince her mate! Do you have kids, maybe you could suggest spending more time with the kids..teaching them boating in the 'small boat' or 'how nice it would be to have sundowners in the tinny after work??' or something...:-/

coucho
08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I would love a bigger boat and will be getting one later in the year but not too big fuel and one man operation is also a big factor for me I don't think I want to go beyond a 5 m tinny

kingtin
13-04-2008, 05:22 PM
A different slant..................I always wanted a better offshore rig and finally the opportunity arose and we got a Whittley 6.5 Sea Legend.

Now I've never been superstitious, but from the moment we got that rig, our lives were changed............trouble with foster kids............open heart surgery for me and suspected cancerous growth for the deckie, which luckily, turned out to be benign. We'd never encountered such crap weather and experienced so little fishing. Despite our heavy maintenance schedule, we had bearing problems, brake problems, stale fuel etc.............it's true what they say, if a boat lies idle.....it'll cost you.

I was actually having more fun in the little 3.95 stacer, than I was in the big rig. The tinny tucked in the garage whilst the big rig sat on the drive and was regularly egged by our local mensa fraternity and cost me an arm and a leg in insurance, servicing etc.

They've both gone now. I loved 'em both and I know I'll regret letting the big rig go eventually, although atm, it's a weight off my mind, but that's more about my state of health than the boat itself.

I'm awaiting delivery of a 519 stacer Nomad which will do the job of both rigs. It'll get me up the estuaries, it'll get me offshore if I pick my days, it'll fit in the garage, and when we go camping at the Pin, I can pack it the night before, and I can handle it better than I can the Whittley.

So it's a downsize for me................I focus on the price of petrol, I focus on regos and insurance, I focus on servicing, security etc, and everything tells me I've made the right decision................but somehow?.................I still know that I'll miss her.

kev

Greg P
13-04-2008, 05:28 PM
A different slant..................I always wanted a better offshore rig and finally the opportunity arose and we got a Whittley 6.5 Sea Legend.
kev

Nice young family own your boat now. Was waiting to load mine next to them today at Spinnaker. Looks like they are enjoying it

kingtin
13-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Nice young family own your boat now. Was waiting to load mine next to them today at Spinnaker. Looks like they are enjoying it

Yeah Greg......he's an Ausfisher too............a pleasure to do business with.

kev

Jackinthebox
16-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey Kev,

how long till you take delivery of the new baby?

Mick

kingtin
16-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey Kev,

how long till you take delivery of the new baby?

Mick

They said 4 to 6 weeks Mick, and it's week 3, so that probably means I've got another 8 to wait ;) ;D

Can't wait to do the bits and bobs on it.

kev

kind_cir
11-05-2008, 02:25 PM
If money was no option, I would only go as big as 7m. If my cash flow was very comfortable, I'd stick to around 5.5m. And under my best case current situation would only go as big as 5m.

Jock The Rock
11-05-2008, 10:32 PM
got a 12 foot tinny atm but wishin for i had bout a 4.8 m runabout sort of thing.

an express passport or zephyr or something good like that

something with fishin room but still space to keep dry when it rains :)

Jock

BrenMac
12-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Yep, for sure.

Have just bought a 6mtr plate ali and am stoked with it, but the dream rig, if I had the means, would be an 8mtr Abcat with twin Verados.

Cheers
BMac

TimiBoy
12-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Plan is in 2-3 years to have placed an order on a big cat, like a Bravamarine Sports 45 or similar. Travelling long distances looks like fun! It's amazing how far/fast those things will go with a couple of diesels running, compared to the big monos. I love the Riviera 45 but I'd need to own an oil company to run it in 3 years time.

Colo77
12-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey there,

I,m happy with the rig I got. I have a 385 Stessl Edgetracker Tournament with a 30hp electric start Honda on the back. Great for creeks rivers estuary impoundments, can even sneak out the front around the close inshore islands near my place.

And if the weather's good I have plenty of mates and in-laws with bigger rigs to take me on the offshore adventures.

I love my rig!

Cheers Colo

Mark Malcolm
13-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I voted no, but I'm sure that will change at some point. For a first boat my 3.75m Alleycraft with 15hp Yammi floats on wet carpet and was even able to sneak in a trip to tangalooma the other weekend no probs :-)