PDA

View Full Version : Fish lengths and correct weights

Pistol_P
16-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I noticed on the new 'Fishing DVD' that has recently come out that the DPI in NSW has brought out brag mats with great information on them.
They give a range of common estuary species and show the correct weight of the fish according to their length in centimetres.

E.G.....A 95cm Jew equals 8kgs.....

The information is supposed to be very accurate.

Does anyone know where to get such information without having to buy one of these mats....????

Pete

Kleyny
16-03-2008, 06:31 PM
I have no idea where you would get it from.
IMO all the years i have fished i have caught plenty of the same length fish but with large variances in weights. I'll give you an example of the type of differences i have come across. i caught a 32cm bream caught in a well stocked bait tidal lake that went over 1kg, then on the other hand i caught a 32 cm bream in the bay that only went .75kg. so i would be sceptical on how accurate it would be.
it all depends on bait stock and how much energy they use to get to the bait.

neil

fish_on
16-03-2008, 08:48 PM
good idea but im sceptical too. ive come across same situations with jacks. barra too esp in the impoundments

Jeremy87
16-03-2008, 09:28 PM
We use this web site at uni
http://www.fishbase.org/search.php
type in the species name and follow to the main information pages, scroll down to the 'more information' section and click on the L-W relationship link and then click on one of the 'a' values. From here you can redict the weight based on length. Keep in mind that its not exact but just an approximate indicator. fish condition has a big influence over the 'a' value

Pistol_P
16-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks Boys,

Yeah I was a bit sceptical as well.
You can buy them in NSW off the DPI website...But they aint much good for us QLDer's.
Honky Dory....You are quite right.I too have caught bream with huge weight differences.Jacks etc would be the same.

Jeremy I will check that site out.

Pete