PDA

View Full Version : Viccy point ramp at low water????

Hamish73
14-03-2008, 08:18 PM
As the title suggests, is it any good?

Blackened
14-03-2008, 08:33 PM
G'day

The one with pontoon (VMR side) is a mongrel at best with a low low. Getting in there is tricky and just generally skinny water all around.

The other ramp (near jetty and ferry) is much better

Dave

datamile
14-03-2008, 09:34 PM
There's bugger all water there a low tide , and its pretty shallow until you get past the ferry terminal.

Its pretty bad at mid tide as I found out by trying to turn out forward with trim down. Back out these days with prop trimmed up as its only good for about 1.5 boat widths.

But it is a good ramp if you've got to get the wife and kids in, and you can tie up while getting the trailer etc.

Hamish73
14-03-2008, 09:48 PM
thanks guys, sounds like one to avoid

Blackened
14-03-2008, 09:54 PM
G'day

If you're wanting to do the southern bay, why not launch @ toondah harbor (cleveland) or weinam creek(redland bay)

dave

Pelagic 660
14-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Try Wellington point, good all times.

Tangles
14-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Hamish,

Not one to avoid mate, well Viccie Pt is my local ramp and most tides no issues. Low low tide my opinion is go the ferry ramp, no issues, except follow the markers if not, on low tide you will polish your prop if you miss the channel, but same as every where else as your not in channel.. As for VMR ramp, only thing to watch is wind against tide, pick best side..

Yep Viccie pt can get shallow but if you follow the markers your fine, if following normal channel markers is an issue then dont do Viccie Pt.. my 2 cents but i prefer the ferry ramp myself... its pretty much a no brainer

Viccie Pt is shallow at low tide, if you blokes reckon its dodgy, cool with me as means less traffic

Mike

datamile
14-03-2008, 10:40 PM
There's no actual problem as long as you are aware of the conditions, and I go to it for the pontoon.

Handy for VMR to logon/off butwatch the low tide, follow the markers, watch being blown onto the east side of the pontoon in swell and wind.

Hamish73
14-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Try Wellington point, good all times.
a bit exposed until I get a bit better at druiving on, and also reallly need a pontoon as the mrs has a bung leg

mik01
14-03-2008, 11:40 PM
my experience with Vicky pt (the VMR ramp) at low tide is to motor out very slowly. there is a sand bar along most of the entrance and I had to swing right over near the moored boats to safely navigate out.
but the pontoon is good and other than the low low tide its good all round.

why would you want to launch and retrieve at low tide on a foreign ramp anyway? I only do this on my local ramp where I know the conditions.

the ferry ramp with pontoon is good but I don't know the conditions at low tide.

Mark-P
15-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I've been using viccy point ramp for 11yrs & with out a drama ... I also had a 5.6 cuddy which i launched & retreived on my own quite alot !!!! But like everyone has said, the northern ramp can be tricky .. But the southern ramp is fine

Mark

baitmate
15-03-2008, 07:16 AM
hey mate, the Vicky Pt ramp is actually really good at just about every tide, but on low tide could be a little tricky, don't try it in low tide to start off, try getting to no it on higher tides before you try it on low

Cheers!
Baitmate

Hamish73
15-03-2008, 07:27 AM
thanks guys, will check it out another time.
Mik, I guess I have been spoilt by the ramps at manly where the tide only determines how far you need to dunk the trailer.

mik01
15-03-2008, 10:58 PM
thanks guys, will check it out another time.
Mik, I guess I have been spoilt by the ramps at manly where the tide only determines how far you need to dunk the trailer.

yeah know what you mean. raby bay is spot on like that in any tide. thats where I usually dunk, but Vicky pt is not too bad yet best to avoid first time out on low.

cheers
Mick