PDA

View Full Version : Off road bikes and fishing

Taipan
13-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Just after a few ideas on setting a up a bike to get to some fishing spots, all I'm after really are some ideas on storing a rod or 2. I've heard of pvc piping, but would like to hear from a few more people.

If anyone could help me out and maybe show a few pics that would be great.

Mac_Attack
13-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Just after a few ideas on setting a up a bike to get to some fishing spots, all I'm after really are some ideas on storing a rod or 2. I've heard of pvc piping, but would like to hear from a few more people.

If anyone could help me out and maybe show a few pics that would be great.

Hey Taipan
Thankyou very much for posting this i really want to do this myself.

Taipan
13-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm trying to sell my car at the moment so I can purchase a KLR500. It's the perfect bike for what I'm after and If i can get to places without bloody having to walk, I'll be a happy man.

Mac_Attack
13-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to sell my car at the moment so I can purchase a KLR500. It's the perfect bike for what I'm after and If i can get to places without bloody having to walk, I'll be a happy man.

Is that the Kawasaki KLR500?

Hamish73
13-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I think you mean KLR600, and yep its a Kwaka
personally I'd go with the KLX

Taipan
13-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Nah, I mean the KLE500

Dan5
13-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Have a look around for a 4 piece travel type rod i think penn do something like that i know loomis used to i'm not sure if they still do.What sort of fishing are you planning on doing? Most of the traveller rod's are either baitcaster's or fly rod's that i have seen.Will be interesting to see what you come up with,i have a XR650R that i could possibly use the same idea's on also.

Cheer's Dan.....

Taipan
13-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Just the usual Nth QLD fishing, chasing Barra, and maybe sooties and JP's.

I'll keep you posted Dan. I should be hopefully picking the bike up last next week.

Dan5
13-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Well if you get up around Cairn's give us a hoy and we'll go for a spin!!! Chasing sootie's and barra a baitcaster 4 piece traveller rod would be ideal, ring around your local tackle shop's to find out who make's what and what will suit you.

Dan.....

lenthals_barra
13-03-2008, 08:05 PM
i used to go fishing on my moto all the time. i had poly pipe on both left n right forks. worked a treat. just gotta watch some trees!

Taipan
13-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Sounds good Dan.

I was thinking about having something that just clips onto the rear rack when I need it.

nigelr
14-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Used to fish the beach on small trailies back in the early 80's.
Used a 2 piece rod stuck in a piece of PVC pipe attatched to rear mudgaurd/seat frame from memory.
Great on a low tide, but a bit sketchy at high tide, especially when navigating wheel ruts.
I found the lighter the bike, the lower the seat to the ground, the easier to control in soft sand.
The old yammy TYs were the best, the trials bike configuration was perfect.
I found constant applications of WD40 were the best chain lube, the real stuff would get too much sand stick to it.
To be honest, I was rapt when I was able to upgrade to a cheap 4wd!
Cheers, as stated, watch out for those damn trees!

Taipan
14-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Yeah I won't be taking it on beaches, be sticking to bush tracks.

Taipan
08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I've found a solution.

I picked up a Shimano T-Curve 3 piece baitcaster outfit yesterday, comes in a solid case that I will strap to the rack on the back using the strap that secures my gearsack.
I also got the above mentioned gearsack on Monday, 50ltr storage so plenty of room for SP, HB and hope fillets.
Once I get it all together I will post a pic or 2.

Danthefireman
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Mate I ride my bike to flick lures or pump yabs here in Tville. i put my 2 piece rod in a pvc pipe, with caps, which i put a strap on and slung it on my shoulder over my back. that way it was protected even when i fall off:-[ , and in the sand you will fall off .
Daniel