PDA

View Full Version : Help With Boating Transport

skinss
13-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Can any one help me Im trying to get a boat transported to vic say from hervey bay or brisbane, does any one no a good transport company that want charge over the top prices. I know the boat dealers get it done for $600,which would be great,but i don't no which one charges this fee of $600.
Any help would be great.Thanks Mark

SunnyCoastMark
13-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey Skins,
Try D&J Freight he works out of Bribie Island - goes all over the place.

His contact no is 0418 793 357 and 0427 341 076

Hope that helps.

Mark

skinss
13-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks wants $900 thats $100 cheaper than i could get.Need it cheaper to buy this boat.

Thanks anyway

dnej
13-03-2008, 04:38 PM
http://www.aaabackloading.com.au/
Here is one to get you started.
David

upstart
13-03-2008, 04:59 PM
F&B magazine always recommend Trewin Transport.

Dean1
13-03-2008, 06:41 PM
F&B magazine always recommend Trewin Transport. Trewins are way overpriced dunno how they get any work. Been there done that. I put a thread here whn i bought my kc from down melb. I think it had kens number on it as ive lost his number. Mine was 1500 and that was cheap

craig308
13-03-2008, 07:09 PM
skins
contact this mob they have in the past carted boats out of brisane
http://www.neilstransport.com.au/contact%20us.html

skinss
13-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Trewins are way overpriced dunno how they get any work. Been there done that. I put a thread here whn i bought my kc from down melb. I think it had kens number on it as ive lost his number. Mine was 1500 and that was cheap

I got a haines sent down from mt cotton to melbourne for $900 3yrs ago was a haines prowler 530 with a stanles canopy groung to top was 3mtrs high

BrewGuru
13-03-2008, 10:30 PM
You guys are kidding! I spose you want the poor ole trucky to do it for nothing.
it all depends on the size of the overall length of the boat including the extreme length from the back of the outboard to the tow ball of the trailer, my guess its going to be about 6 metres give or take a metre, which is equivalent to half a semi trailer load or more again depending on how much trailer space it going to take up, its going to take the truckie at least two days travelling from Brisbane to legally do his job plus It costs the truckie (owner driver) .60c per kilometer for fuel (industry standard), tyres .07 cents per kilometre, lets not include insurance, rego, or maintenance.
1700 klms to Melbourne x .67c = $1140.00 your half load = $570.00 and he hasn't earnt a dollar yet had a feed or a cuppa, nor has he paid for forklift/crane to load or unload. The price of Diesel has doubled in 3 years, so have insurance premiums.
Give the guys a break if you can't afford to buy a boat interstate don't expect the truck driver to subsidise it.
Ed Barker www.barkertransport.com (http://www.barkertransport.com)

skinss
14-03-2008, 09:01 AM
You guys are kidding! I spose you want the poor ole trucky to do it for nothing.
it all depends on the size of the overall length of the boat including the extreme length from the back of the outboard to the tow ball of the trailer, my guess its going to be about 6 metres give or take a metre, which is equivalent to half a semi trailer load or more again depending on how much trailer space it going to take up, its going to take the truckie at least two days travelling from Brisbane to legally do his job plus It costs the truckie (owner driver) .60c per kilometer for fuel (industry standard), tyres .07 cents per kilometre, lets not include insurance, rego, or maintenance.
1700 klms to Melbourne x .67c = $1140.00 your half load = $570.00 and he hasn't earnt a dollar yet had a feed or a cuppa, nor has he paid for forklift/crane to load or unload. The price of Diesel has doubled in 3 years, so have insurance premiums.
Give the guys a break if you can't afford to buy a boat interstate don't expect the truck driver to subsidise it.
Ed Barker www.barkertransport.com (http://www.barkertransport.com)

I think you will find that moving a load won way might be full but on the return they do it cheaper because they have an empty load .which they make a little more pocket money which they wouldn’t have on the way back.
Maybe that might solve your winging and I asked for help not sarcasm.

I

skinss
14-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Trewins are way overpriced dunno how they get any work. Been there done that. I put a thread here whn i bought my kc from down melb. I think it had kens number on it as ive lost his number. Mine was 1500 and that was cheap

Thay wanted $1450. Thanks anyway for your help

skinss
14-03-2008, 11:55 AM
skins
contact this mob they have in the past carted boats out of brisane
http://www.neilstransport.com.au/contact%20us.html

They wanted $1000 Thanks for your Help

BM
14-03-2008, 01:26 PM
You say "you know the boat dealers get it for $600". so why not go and ask the boat dealers who they are using.

I know the little polycraft boats go from QLD to Melb for about $600 but thats without trailers and they are stacked one atop of the other.

$600 for a boat on trailer from QLD to Melb. I would be very surprised if anyone would do that.

I brought a boat from Gold Coast to Melb several years back and that was $1500 then. The boat was 18ft long. I brought a Formula 233 from Townsville to Melb for $2k. That was a good price in my book.

Cheers

Marlin_Mike
14-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Ya pay peanuts ya get monkeys

Mike

Dan5
14-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Dealer's will and should get a better price,they do it regulary and just not one off."Repeat buisness" is what it's called.

BrewGuru
14-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I think you will find that moving a load won way might be full but on the return they do it cheaper because they have an empty load .which they make a little more pocket money which they wouldn’t have on the way back.
Maybe that might solve your winging and I asked for help not sarcasm.

I

I think I might know the industry a little better than you, you pay a premium from Melbourne to Brisbane, backloading rates from Brisbane to Melbourne, You will not get your boat to Melbourne for $600.....Guaranteed!!!!!
I know what it costs, I have been in the industry for 20 years.
I certainly wouldn't cart your boat for $600
Not too many truck runs back empty fro Brisbane heading South.
You can expect to pay between $950 - $1400, depending on supply and demand.
I hope your not in a hurry for your boat, You will be waiting a while for your pocket money truckie
I was being helpful by parting with some of experiance and knowledge.

www.barkertransport.com (http://www.barkertransport.com)

skinss
14-03-2008, 05:11 PM
You say "you know the boat dealers get it for $600". so why not go and ask the boat dealers who they are using.

I know the little polycraft boats go from QLD to Melb for about $600 but thats without trailers and they are stacked one atop of the other.

$600 for a boat on trailer from QLD to Melb. I would be very surprised if anyone would do that.

I brought a boat from Gold Coast to Melb several years back and that was $1500 then. The boat was 18ft long. I brought a Formula 233 from Townsville to Melb for $2k. That was a good price in my book.

Cheers
Im just wondering I ask in the thread can any one help me Im trying to get a boat transported to melb from bris at a good price how does this help with your answer?

skinss
14-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I think I might know the industry a little better than you, you pay a premium from Melbourne to Brisbane, backloading rates from Brisbane to Melbourne, You will not get your boat to Melbourne for $600.....Guaranteed!!!!!
I know what it costs, I have been in the industry for 20 years.
I certainly wouldn't cart your boat for $600
Not too many truck runs back empty fro Brisbane heading South.
You can expect to pay between $950 - $1400, depending on supply and demand.
I hope your not in a hurry for your boat, You will be waiting a while for your pocket money truckie
I was being helpful by parting with some of experiance and knowledge.

www.barkertransport.com (http://www.barkertransport.com)
First of all i didn't say i could get a boat from bris for $600
Second of all im just looking for a good price i don't expect to get it for nothing

boatboy50
14-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Skinss,

Listen to what the other guys are telling you.

I arrange boat transport Oz wide on a daily basis. For boats going south generally I use Terry Burns (0417 752 384).

He is also tied in with DJ Freight, who mostly go north from Brisbane.

Regards

Darren

skinss
14-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Skinss,

Listen to what the other guys are telling you.

I arrange boat transport Oz wide on a daily basis. For boats going south generally I use Terry Burns (0417 752 384).

He is also tied in with DJ Freight, who mostly go north from Brisbane.

Regards

Darren

Finally some one with brains that can read.

Thanks Darren

northernblue
15-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Thanks Darren

Welcome to the forum skinss ::)
We hope that you enjoy your time here :-/

gawby
15-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Some vital information that is missing here,
is the boat on a trailer or is it a dry move. (no trailer)
How long is it and how high is it.
The list goes on.
Like BrewGuru i am in the transport game and i wouldn't even
start my truck at $600-00 to go to Melbourne.
Diesel in Qld at the moment is $145-00 per litre so $600-00
will not even cover half the price of fuel alone.
We went through this not so long ago with Bugman i think it was
trying get a boat to the south so try him and see what he did.
Just your comment about "brains" try and drive to melbourne with a
boat behind your car and see how far you get for $600-00.
I am not knocking you for this post but reallity is the big thing.
Graeme

rayken1938
15-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Skinss
There has been several posts from blokes in the industry and other members
I have used DJ freight to bring a car up from down south and was totally satisfied with their service. On time and reasonable price.
Have you tried ringing Patricks for a price? You will then realise how the prices you have been quoted are fair and reasonable.
As previously stated in the thread you pay peanuts you get monkeys , possible one hyped up on nodoze who will go to sleep and wipe out your boat.
I can understand you wishing to get a good price but there are always substantial risks taking the lowest quote. These guys are doing it very hard at the moment and are entitled to a fair rate for their work . They have a substantial investment in their rigs and not only have to keep them running they also have to maintain them and hopefully make a wage.
Cheers
Ray

BM
15-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks Darren

Listen here Brains Trust......

The first line of my reply to you suggested that you ask the dealers who they use. The dealers you allege get it for $600.

That would be the most logical answer possible.

I suggest you learn to read and given the obvious logical solution then you must fall short in the brains department too.

You have unrealistic expectations and the examples I gave to you as a boat dealer moving boats around Australia should have given you something tangible to go on. That and the replies from actual transport guys also.

You have some nerve really. Ask a question, don't like the answers, insult those who actually know. Perhaps you need a copy of "How to win friends an influence people"............

Unbelievable..

Xahn1960
15-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Skinss, I'm in transport as well, I really doubt you'll find anyone to match that price, if you did I'd be very worried about how it gets there! You want your pride and joy to arrive intact don't you??

Bill.

tin can marlin
15-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi mate a mate of mine will do it for 350 cash his phone number is 0430222966

marco
15-03-2008, 07:15 PM
hyped up on nodoze who will go to sleep and wipe out your boat.

which is it , is the driver hyped up or is nodding off ???????????

some people are so full of it when it comes to slagging off at drivers .

at the end of the day there is usually someone willing to do it for crap money which is why the industry is so f#%&ed and i take it that is what skinns was looking for so why rag on him for doing it , maybe you industry experts should spend more time at the truck stops educating your fellow owner drivers about how they stuff it up for themselves .

charlieash
15-03-2008, 07:20 PM
theres no way id trust my boat to any one charging $350.00 .its like anything you get what you pay for .if it sounds to good to be true it probably is

marco
15-03-2008, 07:22 PM
theres no way id trust my boat to any one charging $350.00 .its like anything you get what you pay for .if it sounds to good to be true it probably is

another expert hey .

charlieash
15-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey marco not claiming to be an expert. just useing some common sense .next thing you know old mate will be on hear complaing because his boat was either damage lost or missing stuff .allso i wouldnt be putting one of my mates phone no down and saying he takes cash hello A.T.O.

disorderly
15-03-2008, 07:33 PM
another expert hey .

I will admit to ignorance here Marco......but what would happen if he settled on that truckie with the cheap cash rate in the event of either a crash or just some general damage to the boat while in transit...?

Scott

MarkDiver
15-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I recently used EXPRESS boat transport out of Brisbane and found them the cheapest after phoning for several quotes.
In addition the driver arrived 10min. prior to ETA and boat was well secured and illuminated. Few bugs & crap on the windscreen but hey, you don't know the boat until you give it the first good wash!
Seriously, I recommend this mob.
07-55338802
0412 757788

Good luck

Oh, I was transporting a 28' flybridge sportscruiser without trailer. Remember to add in craneage/slippage fees either end if applicable.

marco
15-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey marco not claiming to be an expert. just useing some common sense .next thing you know old mate will be on hear complaing because his boat was either damage lost or missing stuff .allso i wouldnt be putting one of my mates phone no down and saying he takes cash hello A.T.O.

common sense ? do you know any of the back ground to the guy making the offer , do you know whether he is a good operator or not , do you know what else he is carting with his load ?
the point is there is many options with putting a boat onto a loaded truck and if a driver is making a good buck on whats already there why wouldnt he want a bit of extra coin in the back pocket .
i can assure you i have met plenty of drivers that get paid very well and you wouldnt trust them to get the sunday paper from the shops for you so just because someone offers to do something cheap for someone does not mean they are careless with it , it is no big deal to cart a boat , they are light but do take some room .
i really dont understand why everyone is jumping down skinns throat , he is not doing anything that most of everyone else does , and that is screwing for a good deal .

you do have a point about the ato and the phone number being posted , maybe should be pm ed instead

marco
15-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I will admit to ignorance here Marco......but what would happen if he settled on that truckie with the cheap cash rate in the event of either a crash or just some general damage to the boat while in transit...?

Scott
scott, that is why they invented insurance . and as i posted above , just because it is cheap does not mean it is careless . there are more good professional operators then there are bad ones .
mark

disorderly
15-03-2008, 07:53 PM
scott, that is why they invented insurance . and as i posted above , just because it is cheap does not mean it is careless . there are more good professional operators then there are bad ones .
mark

I didn't imply that he was careless or anything else.
My point was if it's cash then to me it means there is nothing in writing and in the event of damage without a written contract then the boat owner may find it somewhat difficult to obtain recompense.

Scott

marco
15-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I didn't imply that he was careless or anything else.
My point was if it's cash then to me it means there is nothing in writing and in the event of damage without a written contract then the boat owner may find it somewhat difficult to obtain recompense.

Scott

my point was that if it was my boat i would make sure there was insurance cover for it whilst being transported regardless of whether the transport company had there own cover or not and therefore written transport contract or not it is still covered.

MarkDiver
15-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Just get an insurance cover note - done.

BM
15-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Last time I checked (which was a couple of years back now), transit insurance wasn't available from the mainstream marine insurers just to move a boat. They weren't interested.

Cheers

skinss
16-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Listen here Brains Trust......

The first line of my reply to you suggested that you ask the dealers who they use. The dealers you allege get it for $600.

That would be the most logical answer possible.

I suggest you learn to read and given the obvious logical solution then you must fall short in the brains department too.

You have unrealistic expectations and the examples I gave to you as a boat dealer moving boats around Australia should have given you something tangible to go on. That and the replies from actual transport guys also.

You have some nerve really. Ask a question, don't like the answers, insult those who actually know. Perhaps you need a copy of "How to win friends an influence people"............

Unbelievable..
So whats your point. How does this help with my Q that i want a boat trasport.If you can't help me y write crap get a life.

Fish Guts
16-03-2008, 09:12 AM
yeah gotta agree some people do go over the top on here skins.

what size boat is it ?

skinss
16-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I recently used EXPRESS boat transport out of Brisbane and found them the cheapest after phoning for several quotes.
In addition the driver arrived 10min. prior to ETA and boat was well secured and illuminated. Few bugs & crap on the windscreen but hey, you don't know the boat until you give it the first good wash!
Seriously, I recommend this mob.
07-55338802
0412 757788

Good luck

Oh, I was transporting a 28' flybridge sportscruiser without trailer. Remember to add in craneage/slippage fees either end if applicable.

Some one thats back on track with my Q Thanks so much for your help.

skinss
16-03-2008, 09:31 AM
common sense ? do you know any of the back ground to the guy making the offer , do you know whether he is a good operator or not , do you know what else he is carting with his load ?
the point is there is many options with putting a boat onto a loaded truck and if a driver is making a good buck on whats already there why wouldnt he want a bit of extra coin in the back pocket .
i can assure you i have met plenty of drivers that get paid very well and you wouldnt trust them to get the sunday paper from the shops for you so just because someone offers to do something cheap for someone does not mean they are careless with it , it is no big deal to cart a boat , they are light but do take some room .
i really dont understand why everyone is jumping down skinns throat , he is not doing anything that most of everyone else does , and that is screwing for a good deal .

you do have a point about the ato and the phone number being posted , maybe should be pm ed instead

Great point thats all i want a good deal don't expect it to get it for nothing just trying to save some coin.No differant than when your
haggling for a deal say on a new boat or TV.

BrewGuru
16-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Read the terms and conditions of cartage on the back of the consignment note it will pretty much say: WE ARE NOT COMMON CARRIERS we cart this freight under our own terms and conditions of cartage, which will state that they will not take responsiblity for damage, loss, breakage, theft, fire or any loss of goods and the you want to insure? maybe you might find an insurance broker looking for a bit of spare coin or pocket money?.....Good Luck

skinss
16-03-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah gotta agree some people do go over the top on here skins.

what size boat is it ?
Looking to buy a blue fin wildcat or top ender say 4.2.The reason for wanting to buy it in QLD is they deck them out very well for what i want to fish for.rivers and outside reefs.
Thanks skins

pursuit001
18-03-2008, 06:18 AM
hi guys ive used this guy before he is pretty cheap and does a good job .
0407 375 412 .

b j p
23-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Can you transport within queensland on a train?

stingau
23-05-2008, 11:33 AM
i ee that you have to shop arround, I purchased the boat that I have now in Toowoomba about a 2 hr drive or so from where I live. I rang oneof the local boat transport companies he lives in the same suburb as me and was quoted $350. I told him that I was happy to wait till he was returning from down south with an empty spot or vacant tow hitch as this was a registered ging concern.

I soon changed my mind and went and picked it up myself. I got the feeling that as this was a single transaction with him he wasnt that interested and thought well ill either make a killing or get rid of me.

Makes me wonder if it wouldnt be worth your while to go pick it up yourself. Take a few days leaveand drive up or better yet fly up on a cheap air ticket get a one way car hire to go home. If you are lucky there is a website that offers cheap one way car hire to return vehicles from state to state.

Not only do you save money but with a hire car if you break down you get it fixed or replaced, you see a bit of the countryside, you will be able to insure it, and if ya really wanna do it in style plan it rght an stopp off at a few rivers and dams for a few test runs, shit mate you could even catch ya self a feed to save money on food.

SEMPER UBI SUB UBI

Davey1
23-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Without knowing any dimensions have you considered rail freight? Maybe see about getting it slotted into a shipping container & shifted by rail?

Scott nthQld
23-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Or you could drive to harvey bay and collect it yourself. It should only be a 3 day trip there max and depending on your car, and how fancy you want your accommodation, will only cost about $500 in fuel and accom.

I have driven from Townsville to Wollongong in 2 full days with 2 drivers (13 hrs first day and 10 the next) and used about $160 in fuel plus about $60 accommodation for the one night. Stick to roads out west, less (if any) traffic but still plenty of rest stops along the way in NSW at least (something that QLD is not good for, we drove for 6 hrs straight without so much as a rest area, let alone a servo)

Getout
24-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Great point thats all i want a good deal don't expect it to get it for nothing just trying to save some coin.No differant than when your
haggling for a deal say on a new boat or TV.

Yes it is different! These guys have fixed costs. If you find someone willing to cut costs, they will most likely cut corners like insurance, driver fatigue management etc.
I know for a fact, that boat freight companies often add a $dhead factor to one-off quotes because, often when they arrive to pick up, there is a problem with dimensions, loading, etc and the thing just won't fit the space allocated.

A reduced dealer price per unit is a result of more efficient loading, reduced pickup/drop off points. You can't expect that price for a one-off door to door service. Dealers accept that the boat will arrive when it gets there. Private owners are on the phone hassling the driver every hour wanting to know when their baby is due.

You are most likely to get the best result from someone who regularly freights boats. If you can't afford to pay what a reputable company like DJ asks, go and pick it up yourself and find out just how cheap the original quote was!!!

Getout
24-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Or you could drive to harvey bay and collect it yourself. It should only be a 3 day trip there max and depending on your car, and how fancy you want your accommodation, will only cost about $500 in fuel and accom.

I have driven from Townsville to Wollongong in 2 full days with 2 drivers (13 hrs first day and 10 the next) and used about $160 in fuel plus about $60 accommodation for the one night. Stick to roads out west, less (if any) traffic but still plenty of rest stops along the way in NSW at least (something that QLD is not good for, we drove for 6 hrs straight without so much as a rest area, let alone a servo)

I am ashamed to say that my car would use more than $1000 in fuel to do that $1700km trip. It must have been uncomfortable on a moped;D

It might be possible in ideal conditions, but would a car capable of towing this boat do it for less than $500 fuel today? Throw in 20 macca stops , some accomodation, wear and tear and a few chips in the windscreen and possibly a tyre and I think you will find that a grand is good value to get a boat from Melbourne to Hervey Bay.