PDA

View Full Version : Bull Shark hits man Brisbane ferry ?

Sandman
13-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Has anyone heard about this? I was told by friends last night that last weekend (Sunday) they were waiting for the Bulimba ferry, mates wife said it was taking some time to come across in fact it had not left the terminal. Once the ferry had come over the driver advised that a Bull Shark had jumped out of the water and hit a passager no injuries occured to either the shark or the passenger!!!
Now that is not something that happens everyday although i often see the sharks jumping out around the place.

Mick
Can anyone shed more light on the story?

two dogs
13-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I used to catch the cross river ferry there quite a bit and have often seem bull sharks feeding along that little gutter on the tennerieffe side...speaking to one of the drivers he said that hes seen them break the water quite often...there was a guy that used to collect glass bottles on the bulimba side, wading out to nearly chest deep but he stopped after a bully jumped 5-10m away from him.

BaitThrower
13-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Seen a bully leap out of the Logan River with some strength, so its a possibility. Wouldn't that kind of thing be plastered all over the news though if it did happen?

JawstheOriginal
13-03-2008, 12:20 PM
It certainly would not surprise me. They are an amazing creature. They can adapt their salinity levels so they can go into fresh water from the ocean. I think it takes about ten days. They take up salts and excrete them accordingly.

I wish the paper would report on this because everyone loves a good shark tail(tale). :P:);D:o8-)

Sandman
13-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Seen a bully leap out of the Logan River with some strength, so its a possibility. Wouldn't that kind of thing be plastered all over the news though if it did happen?

I am actually suprised it wasnt plastered over the papers, i do not doubt the story as my mate and his wife are very honest up front couple, however it could be down to the driver of the ferry ( by the way i am not entirely sure if it was a city cat or the the little ferry)
But the driver said it was very common to see them jumping and that they have had close calls before.
Anyone who works on the ferries or knows someone would be good to hear from them.

Mick

SeaHunt
13-03-2008, 01:30 PM
It was probably a big mullet.

Pistol_P
13-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I have seen big bullies jump out of the water in the Noosa River.
So it is a possibility.
We had a big one Jump right beside the boat one day.

Pete

Marlin_Mike
13-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I reckon its an urban myth. If it really happened it would be in the papers and news on TV.

Mike

dogsbody
13-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I reckon its an urban myth. If it really happened it would be in the papers and news on TV.

Mike

Sort of like the peanut butter story maybe. ;D

Dave.

Marlin_Mike
13-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Did I miss something????? :o What peanut butter story??? ;)

Mike

Sort of like the peanut butter story maybe. ;D

Dave.

tigermullet
13-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Bull sharks jump all of the time - frequently seen and sometimes right near the boat.

After a period of calm weather when you see the first Bull shark jump it means that the south easters are three days away.

I used to think that was a fairy story but it does seem to work.

Sandman
13-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Mike you could be on the money but the only reason i wont doubt it is that i have had them jump close near mud island, the only reason i have doubts is why didnt the media grab it ?

TheRealAndy
13-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Sounds like a crap to me. My old deckie (sailing) works on city cats, will give him a bell shortly to confirm its all crap. Just remeber, that the bullies have had a bad rep in the press the last couple of years, so if it were true i reckon it would be page one of the courier mail.

mattooty
13-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Its only going to hit the papers if someone who witnessed the accident cared to ring up the related media to try and sell a story. In all honesty, how many people have actually had something really rare happen to them and thought, "wait, i might call the press, hopefully they'll write up about me"
I don't doubt it at all. Freak jump that happened to end up quite close to the ferry.

TheRealAndy
13-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Yup, its real. but only if your a tourist.

Pistol_P
13-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Dont know why you fellas find it so hard to believe.
Like I said we had one jump RIGHT next to the boat....I could have touched it if I knew it was going to happen...
I have also had a mullet jump straight into the boat at night while jack fishing.

Pete

sharkymark2
13-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Certainly jump when they are on the end of some 10lb braid ;). Poor mans marlin.

Sandman
14-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Yup, its real. but only if your a tourist.

So Andy are you confirming it from your mate or is confirming that its made up to impress the tourists ?

JawstheOriginal
14-03-2008, 08:06 PM
What is the peanut butter story? Or don't I want to know?

Fish Guts
14-03-2008, 09:04 PM
poor mans marlin thats gold.

i wouldnt doubt it at all happening. would have scared the shi* out of whoever was on there

Cammy
15-03-2008, 12:34 AM
i recon it would be funny to see, a shark just randomly leaping at someone lol,

and this peanut butter story, you wouldnt be reffering to "american dad" cartoon show? as i watched it last nite and they have a peanut butter conspiracy with the government as stuff. lol

Cammo

Dan5
15-03-2008, 06:22 AM
The peanut butter story has been around for year's.

choppa
15-03-2008, 08:44 AM
in todays courier mail theres a little piece (complete with pic),, of a bull shark caught in the brisbane river during a fishing comp the shark ,,, all 2.9mtrs of it was posted on the web and apparently a debate has occured over the death of this ""mother to be"" bitey

i choked on the comment that refers to the chances of being killed by a shark compared to that of a car accident death,,,

it even states that 1600 odd people died on australian roads last year,,,

i bet if the total amount of people that used our roadways each day were forced to swim to there destination,,,,,,, the toll from shark attacks would certainly rise

it even emphasised the point that the death of this shark could/would upset the ""food chain"" by stating that bull sharks are on top of the list,,,,,, implying i suppose that the kill and eat all the other ""nasties"" that make our waterways so much safer and leave us poor buggers alone??

i'm not into catch n kill for no reason,,, but i strongly don't believe in exaggeration stories that once again paint the picture to suit the current state of affairs,,,, the angler i suppose was "" trophy"" minded,,,,,

but who knows,,,the fact is the story didn't report what happened to the carcass after it was caught,,,,:-/ :-/ :-/

choppa

Lone_Wolf
15-03-2008, 08:58 AM
hey chopps,

good to see ya back on a.f.

Controversy sells stories, that's all i have to say on the matter.

LW

Scott nthQld
15-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Same story happened up here, a bloke caught the biggest black marlin ever recorded off Townsville and the fish was tagged for release, but they could revive it and it died, he got a reaming from the green groups and some of the public because he brought it in, don't know what he did, whether he had it mounted or what, but the negative feedback targeted not only at him but every fisho was teetering on discrimination from the media, labelling all of us trophy hunting Neanderthals.

Poodroo
15-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Chop I have to agree. I find the way the press manipulate peoples' minds with falsified information is just annoying. I tend not to pay too much attention to the news in the paper or TV these days.

Poodroo

shano
15-03-2008, 11:27 AM
yeah has been on the radio and on here all week it started with a posting on here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=126222 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=126222)....then someone sent it into nova 106.9 radio then all hell broke loose. .... here is link to the news article
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23375606-3102,00.html

here is link to nova radio;:: http://photos.nova1069.com.au/photos/albums/96.aspx

shano
15-03-2008, 11:40 AM
we were working on a pontoon on the brissie river at QUT and saw a big bully jump just out from us!!!!! i tell ya we were drawing straws on who was hanging over the edge doing nuts up! lol

Black_Rat
15-03-2008, 11:41 AM
10, 20, 30 years ago it wouldn't have been an issue. Nowadays the media likes this type of stuff to stir up debate ::)

shano
15-03-2008, 12:01 PM
10, 20, 30 years ago it wouldn't have been an issue. Nowadays the media likes this type of stuff to stir up debate ::)

dont you mean a mass ...debate!;D

disorderly
15-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about and why people even want to catch sharks.
I just regard them as a nuisance while reef fishing and by fighting them I am wasting valuable time when I could be catching edible fish species instead.

ryansrods
15-03-2008, 12:22 PM
maTE ive had a bullie about 2m clear the water about 3m in the air about 10m in front of my kayak on the clarence river have seen them jump on more than this occation though pretty heart in mouth stuff when ya sitting at water level in a bit of plastic and hes right in front of you

hoodunnit
15-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Next time I get asked to a pi$$ up on island i,m packing some gear!!!

tailorboi99
15-03-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't doubt that story even 1%, I've never seen a Bullie jump but sure have heard some people talking about how they do.

Cheers Tom

Pistol_P
15-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about and why people even want to catch sharks.
I just regard them as a nuisance while reef fishing and by fighting them I am wasting valuable time when I could be catching edible fish species instead.

I used to think the same....But this year I have had some great fun with small bull sharks in the creeks...
The fights are great fun with some good aerial leaps and powerfull runs.
In narrow creeks they really perform and are good sport.
But its not what you do if you want to get a feed.:)

Pete

oldboot
15-03-2008, 09:52 PM
So which ferry was this suposed to be, Apollo Rd or Oxford St.

Bull shark jumping.....yeh I'll cop that.

Making contact with a pasenger on a ferry........ don't know about that one.

cheers

JawstheOriginal
15-03-2008, 11:38 PM
No-one should be complaining about the papers picking this up. The pic was posted on a PUBLIC forum.
Do you really think there are no Ausfish members in the press?

It was an impressive catch but I think any fish that's preggers should be let back out. It's only right.

Not sure how the papers came up with that though. Are you sure the bloke who caught it didn't contact them? They seemed to know a fair bit about what went wrong, though it wouldn't surprise me if they made certain things up. This is the courier mail we are talking about...

Sandman
16-03-2008, 09:42 AM
So which ferry was this suposed to be, Apollo Rd or Oxford St.

Bull shark jumping.....yeh I'll cop that.

Making contact with a pasenger on a ferry........ don't know about that one.

cheers

My mate and wife were waiting on the Bulimba side, the Ferry was taking its time in comming over. To clarify the story i asked again , he was told "the ferry hit a bull shark and it struck a gentlemen whilst in the air and fell back in the water" I could imagine the Ferry was moving in the versinity when the shark jumped giving the impression they struck it causing the jump, While airborn the shark struck a fellow on the ferry, now struck could mean contact with no injury.

As stated before although my mate heard it from the driver ( and ony he or the passenger can verify) It is plausable that this could occur, why it didnt make healines is unknown, maybe its not reported for a reason ? Like i wont use the ferry in fear of being hit by a shark ;D I could imagine the headlines though FERRY PASSENGER GETS ATTACKED BY SHARK DUE TO INCREASED FISHING IN THE BAY- EPA SUPPORTS FURTHER CLOSURES DUE TO SHARK ATTACK ;D

marty+jojo
16-03-2008, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=tigermullet;782800]Bull sharks jump all of the time - frequently seen and sometimes right near the boat.

After a period of calm weather when you see the first Bull shark jump it means that the south easters are three days away.

Yeah, i agree, i also believe there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and if you pull faces and the wind chages your face will stay that way.......
Whatever.....

tigermullet
16-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah? Well, I happen to know for a fact that Elvis is alive and well and managing a 711 store in Newcastle.

marty+jojo
16-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah? Well, I happen to know for a fact that Elvis is alive and well and managing a 711 store in Newcastle.

rotfpmsl classic ;D :D
Marty