PDA

View Full Version : BRAINWAVE re crab pots

baitwaster
13-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I had an idea this morning, that we could create some sort of register/sticky post for members only acces where people can post pics of their crab pot floats, and thier boats for any given weekend, so that other members in the same area can keep an eye out for them. I would suggest bronze level and above only access to make sure they are genuine members. It will obviously give away your spots for crabbing, but that is better than having pots stolen or raided, and members are always free to not participate.

Also, a small decal for ausfishers floats. If enough of them get around, there is a chance they may act as some sort of deterrant to pot raiding.

Silly idea or not?

Martijnf
13-03-2008, 08:18 AM
even just getting the ausfish floater id might be a good idea.. provided you put some kind of ausfish id on your boat as well.

You see someone take an ausfish marked pot out of the water who's not identifiable as being on here, you can confront them or if you don't feel like getting into a confrontation, just take a picture and jot down the boat id or something.

Doesn't seem like a very bad idea to me..

pommy
13-03-2008, 09:05 AM
G'day!

Give away spots X, Y and Z...... after so much effort in finding them?

No, no, no!

Rob.
Ballina

ffejsmada
13-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Brainwave????????.................don't think so, logistical nightmare.
I don't go fishing to look after other peoples pots!
Solve all your problems...................just sink them!!

Jeff.

WHALEOIL
13-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Serious question. Are crab pots really worth it?
Every second thread is about them being stolen, raided, put in the way of boat traffic, etc, etc.

In all honesty, I couldn't be f@@ked with the things myself.

Throw the pots to the shithouse and get out and do some real fishing FFS.

ffejsmada
13-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Serious question. Are crab pots really worth it?
Every second thread is about them being stolen, raided, put in the way of boat traffic, etc, etc.

In all honesty, I couldn't be f@@ked with the things myself.

Throw the pots to the shithouse and get out and do some real fishing FFS.

Classic.

A man of my own heart!!!!;D

Crab pots = WOFT

WHALEOIL
13-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Classic.

A man of my own heart!!!!;D

Crab pots = WOFT

I tell you now. If I caught a crab pot rope around my prop, I would seek out the owner and file it up his dungfunnel.

chewy01
13-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Mmm sweet chilli crab with an ice cold xxxx. life doesnt get any betterrrr....

tigermullet
13-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I had an idea this morning, that we could create some sort of register/sticky post for members only acces where people can post pics of their crab pot floats, and thier boats for any given weekend, so that other members in the same area can keep an eye out for them. I would suggest bronze level and above only access to make sure they are genuine members. It will obviously give away your spots for crabbing, but that is better than having pots stolen or raided, and members are always free to not participate.

Also, a small decal for ausfishers floats. If enough of them get around, there is a chance they may act as some sort of deterrant to pot raiding.

Silly idea or not?

Like, that's totally weird man. What are you smoking??;D

Maria
13-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Lmao...then I say we set up a registry, like ONLY for silver members (because they're a bit more trustworthy), where you take a photo of your boat and post your address so everyone can keep an eye on it for you. Even better, tell the registry folk when you'll be at work so they can keep an even closer eye on it for you. I think a few select gold members should be chosen as facilitators for this registry - they're just a bit more trustworthy.

tigermullet
13-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Lmao...then I say we set up a registry, like ONLY for silver members (because they're a bit more trustworthy), where you take a photo of your boat and post your address so everyone can keep an eye on it for you. Even better, tell the registry folk when you'll be at work so they can keep an even closer eye on it for you. I think a few select gold members should be chosen as facilitators for this registry - they're just a bit more trustworthy.

We "golds" are completely trustworthy. You got any spare Mullumbimby red?;D

ffejsmada
13-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Or......... Tijuana "tigermullet" Gold;D;D

tigermullet
13-03-2008, 09:28 PM
LMAO! That's the go.

baitwaster
14-03-2008, 08:42 AM
It was just an idea, that maybe some people wouldn't find it too difficult to simply look at a sticker on a float as they went past and remember what type of boat they may see later on pulling in said floats.

I really don't see the problem with letting others know what your floats look like, It's hardly like asking for your address or anything. You always have the option not to participate.

Thanks Maria and co. for blowing it way out of proportion and setting me straight, much appreciated. ;)

liltuffy
14-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey BW, I reckon it's a good idea. In this day and age of knockers and whingers your idea is about as Australian as it gets - looking after your mates!!!

Instead of having your own float with an ausfish sticker on it maybe ausfish should produce some floats for sale to bronze members and above, then again comments made by some of the more "respected" members don't seem very respectable to me.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway - Craig

chewy01
14-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Mate its seriously nearly impossible to stop share farmers. most of the organised ones go at night so youre none the wiser. a lot these days remove the crabs thru the funnels so you are none the wiser. The only way to be really successful up this way(hervey bay)is to get yourself 8 ten dollar rect pots and just go crabbing,no fishing and run them every half an hour or so till you get a feed then pull them out.if you use good round pots they wiil at some stage get stolen. What i dont get is its not difficult to get a few pots and get half a dozen in a morning.

cod muncher
14-03-2008, 12:57 PM
oh i'm a gold [w#nker] sorry ,member so i'm more trustworty than a new member. hahahaahhahahahhahahahahhah you blokes need to extract ya head from ya a#se and get in the reel world. out on the water were all equal ya choads;D :P

Maria
14-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Hate to rain on your parade guys, but bronze, silver, gold, diamond, whatever - doesn't mean diddly shit. It's no badge, it's no accolade and it doesn't infer or suggest anything about the integrity or respectability of the individual member. Kind of like priests - supposed to be respectable people in their position but, yes well. Better off being smart about your crabbing - i.e. when, where and how you do it. I drop pots regularly in a number of spots, and have been doing so for years - never lost a pot or had a pot raided yet.

tigermullet
14-03-2008, 01:56 PM
oh i'm a gold [w#nker] sorry ,member so i'm more trustworty than a new member. hahahaahhahahahhahahahahhah you blokes need to extract ya head from ya a#se and get in the reel world. out on the water were all equal ya choads;D :P

I think that you might have got the wrong end of the stick there, Cod Muncher - "trustworthy" was meant to be ironic.

tigermullet
14-03-2008, 06:23 PM
yeh i can't see what the number of posts you have had has to do with anything

the ranking on here seems to only relate to how many posts you do so if you post dribble all the time about nothing you will quickly get up to silver or gold

hell i have even seen it on another site where someone got past 1000 in about 8 mouths but all they mainly would post was things like
nice pic
good fish ect.

Nobody else believes it either. That was the point of the ironic statements concerning silver, gold etc., and linking it to trustworthiness.

In simple terms, it was an humorous way of pointing out an obvious truth.

megalodon
16-03-2008, 09:50 AM
might put half a dozen sleepers in tomorrow anyone wanna sit on em for me, wann spend some quiet time with the mrs down at the bedrooms. maybe get a shift rotation goin, 3-4 keen helpers would be fine;)
Ummmm where do you want the 3 or 4 helpers:P

Nicko
16-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I like dipping prawns into the ocean and eating them :D