PDA

View Full Version : From QLD Parliament 12/3/08

Chris Ryan
13-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Mr GIBSON (Gympie—NPA) (12.01 pm): Right in south-east Queensland’s backyard is Moreton Bay, a complex system of islands, beaches, reefs, and seagrass beds, a haven for turtles and dugongs, an anglers’ paradise, a productive commercial fishing region and a natural tourism drawcard minutes from Brisbane. All of those groups who enjoy the bay agree it is important to protect the environment. No-one wants to see the bay destroyed by becoming a barren water waste land. However, reasonable minded people believe it is possible to achieve a balance where we can still have people fishing and enjoying local seafood and providing tourism opportunities while still protecting the environment.

The Moreton Bay Marine Park rezoning is being driven without addressing the broader impacts. No current detail can be provided by the EPA on what income is derived from the recreational fishing sector despite a 2003 recreational fishing study which showed Queensland accounted for $319 million in recreational fishing. The reality is that there might be 10 or 20 per cent of that bay that is actually highly productive fishing grounds. If we took that 10 or 20 per cent away we would be actually stopping all fishing in the bay. This is not what any person wants. We are putting at risk the economic value of tourism brought to Queensland through recreational fishing and boating. The national visitor survey found that in total those fishing in Queensland spent $856 million per annum on their trips in 2001. The EPA cannot provide us with current details. Commercial fishermen estimate that up to 80 per cent of their take will be at risk with the new zones. This will impact on all Queenslanders who enjoy local seafood. High-speed ferry services are being asked to slow down to six knots in three areas in the interest of protecting the dugong and turtle populations. These changes will result in an increase in the trip by about 20 minutes. Based on the current timetable, this will increase travel time by 12 hours and increase running costs by 40 per cent. This is putting more propellers in the water for 40 per cent longer with the associated increase in greenhouse gas emissions and therefore putting these beautiful creatures at even more risk. Everyone wants to protect Moreton Bay for future Queenslanders to enjoy, but let us be sensible in how we achieve this.

Lucky_Phill
13-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks you David Gibson. We need to educate more pollies in respect of the nature of the Green Zones and their effect.

Thanks Chris...... I couldn't get the Hansard up last night !!!!

Phill

craftycarp
13-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Now if he had LPA after his name it might have some weight. As it stands having NPA after his name will do nothing for us. At least its nice knowing someone is thinking of us in parliament, even if he can do nothing.

dnej
13-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Hay Lucky Phill,
I never have that trouble.
( LOL)
David

Burley_Boy
13-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hear Hear!!

4x4frog
13-03-2008, 07:40 PM
That's a hear hear from me too......thank-you Mr David Gibson, someone buy that man a beer.:D
Let's hope even one pollie listened to what he had to say

BrewGuru
13-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Mr Gibson is commnicating a message in a government forum to inform its constituents the same message we have been trying to tell the average fisho.
Closing 15% of the bay (the prime fishing areas) closes 85% of the fishing areas.
Well done Mr Gibson, I hope that the people that represent us in Goverment have listened to the plight we have and react in a positive way.

Ed

CHAPPY
16-03-2008, 07:02 AM
If you want opposition to government policy, you must support the opposition in parliment and tell the opposition why you are supporting them. Mr Gibson is a well respecter parlimentarian in the Gympie electorate.
Chappy

Dave Gibson
18-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and I'll take you up on the offer of that cool refreshing ale on a hot day.
There is still a long way to go but I know a lot of Labor MP's are very nervous about the impact of the MBMP rezoning on their reelection prospects and that will filter through. The main aim now is to ramp up the responses from all affected areas.

Dave Gibson

PS Chappy Thanks for the endorsement, I just try to use a fair bit commonsense when dealing with people and problems. And with that stupid dam proposed up here at Traveston Crossing I got my hands full with problems!!!

Poodroo
19-03-2008, 06:57 AM
It's good to know that there is at least one pollie armed with more realistic facts and supports the rec fisho. If the greenies and EPA used their heads a little they would realize that we have no intentions of turning our Bay into a barren waste land. Quite the opposite in fact. Most rec fishermen and women carry rubbish bags on board and pick up rubbish when they see it. How many pen pushing greenies go out to clean our bay? Why can't we have the green zones in place just for the high speed ferries? Do they really have to take route through these areas? Instead of slowing them down and increasing their trip time can't we have them maintain speed and simply go around the dugong and turtle habitats? Thanks Mr.Gibson for having a common sense head on your shoulders.

Poodroo