PDA

View Full Version : Product Endorsments

fish-n-dive
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm just curious if anyone here actually buys anything because "whats his face" or "thus and so" or any of the other "names" endorse it? Or better yet, do these people really believe in what they are recommending to us or just in the endorsement cheques?

Cynical???............You bet I am. ;)

BaitThrower
13-03-2008, 12:23 AM
I wont buy just coz some paid up celeb says its good :)
Usually I wait for actual user feedback on forums etc. Depending what it is, you can sometimes tell if it is good or crap just looking at it.

tunaticer
13-03-2008, 12:58 AM
I talk to people I know about how they are finding the product to be usually. Nothing better than word of mouth to find out bad points about anything.

Jack.

Martijnf
13-03-2008, 01:33 AM
guess it would depend entirely on the product.. like say with the stuff starlo and bushy promote, they actually developed the product as well, so it's not a 'pure' endorsement. However as a rule I'd be pretty sceptical unless they were using it for real in competitions or something.. same as with any sport

Federer isn't going to use a racket or shoes or what not if they're crap, so even if he gets paid to use them, they still have to be good.

nigelr
13-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Generally prefer to do my own 'field testing', but as tunaticer says, word of mouth from experienced fishos is priceless.
Martijn may have a point, but I suspect Starling and Bush could catch fish with an old toothbrush, and Federer would be a tennis star regardless of what racket he used............
Cheers.

DR
13-03-2008, 08:28 AM
'most' products will catch fish in the right hands...
as far as word of mouth on forums etc.. look at berkely nuc chooks, a few recommendations from talking heads & then just sheer weight of volume, the amount of people using them they have to catch a lot of fish.
If they were to be removed from the market tomorrow, it would not be long before they are replaced by the next 'big thing'

BaitThrower
13-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Good point DR. I also have the Squidgies Secrets DVD. Not a bad DVD but you can't help but notice the over the top advertising of how good the squidgies are. I like them and use them and have had more success with them then Gulp, but the way they carry on about them on the DVD, you would swear they cannot fail. While it is a good DVD, it seems more promotion than actual useful information. Just my 2 cents.

RayDeR
13-03-2008, 11:57 AM
G'day!

When I see someone endorse a product (eg Federer) and see the brand he is using, I think "Yeah! I bet what he is using ain't the same as the 50 buck product I got at "Slick Sportstore" ".

And does Mr ET really walk into the shop and get the product "off shelf" ?

Ray De R

Nic
13-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I think checking out the tournament results is a good way to see what works. If a lure has won a few tourneys -- or at least has a few top 5 placings under its belt -- I'll often give it a go. Often the winners explain how and where they used it too, which is useful.