PDA

View Full Version : ETEC V 4 Stroke - AGAIN!

TheRealAndy
12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Found this link on poly forum, probably the most informative yet. Pretty much sums up that they are all about the same.

http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/SubscriberContent/Articles/Vol01Issue05/General/ETEC1.aspx

Noelm
12-03-2008, 01:56 PM
gees I think I said that a year ago!!! along with the old addage, THEY ARE ALL GOOD!

SgBFish
12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Andy.
Look at the thread I just put up from Caltex. When fuel hits $3.30/L they will all be on the tip.

BM
12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Andy.
Look at the thread I just put up from Caltex. When fuel hits $3.30/L they will all be on the tip.

On the tip??? I dunno bout that!!

Noelm
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
OK lets get started then, exactly why will they be on the tip?, fuel consumption over a range of conditions for a given HP is almost exactly the same, slightly better on some HP and slightly worse in others, don't tell me about this "at idle" crap, we need to compare at all operating revs. geees I just said to myself when this was first started, that I would not get into it, and look what happened. (I do not own an Opti or an Etec)

Noelm
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
wooops I forgot, perhaps some of the bigger Motors will slowly fade out, but it will not see the demise of Outboards altogether (at the tip)

LINZ_74
12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
thanks for the link TheRealAndy it was a great read.
IMO they are all the same, i went the e-tec because it looks pretty groovy in the white finish. All i need now is spinners for the wheels on my trailer and the package is complete.

insideout
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
good read, but owning a pair of 140 suzukis, i would like a genuine comparison in these shootouts.They always only seem to be E-tec, Mercurys and Yamahas in most cases.

Fish Guts
12-03-2008, 07:31 PM
when i see etecs bolted to the back of the following boats. i will start to take in the crap you etec braggers say.

1-vmr boats
2- water police
3- Commercial fishing operations
4- Commercial tourist operations.

I will eat my sandshoes if you can post up here, at least 5 credible photos of commercially used etecs around Australia. If they were soooooooooo goood in all of these areas, especially economy and 'FUEL EFFICIENCY' i could gurantee all the cash strapped vmr's and pro fisherman would have them on within a few weeks.

In my opinion. these engines are only good in the low horsepower ranges 15-150. however they cannot, and will not, beat the economy of the big 4 strokes, namely suzuki. if someone can prove me otherwise with the economy between an etec and a top end suzuki i will be very suprised. and this crap about holeshot. are you all towing 3 skiers around when your going fishing ? i know for a fact that if i was to open the throttles on a pair of twin 250 four strokes id have 4 people knocked out lying in the back cockpit. enough of the etec crap.

sid_fishes
12-03-2008, 07:32 PM
thats cause they dont want to show the real world just how gr8 the zuks are[ this should get up their noses i would think] sid

Spaniard_King
12-03-2008, 07:41 PM
OK Fish Guts, I will go along with that statement too. :)

Lewy
12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Etec's Mac Computers and Volkswagons all have owners that are constantly seeking reasurance that they made they right choice. Get on with it guys buy a yammy a windows compute and a subaru.

TheRealAndy
12-03-2008, 08:03 PM
thats cause they dont want to show the real world just how gr8 the zuks are[ this should get up their noses i would think] sid

Go talk to the VMR boys at sandgate about suzuki. The will probably brag how good they are, but I bet they wont tell you about all the problems they have had. Everytime I am there there seems to be something wrong with them.

Fish Guts
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
what problems have they had ?

notsa
12-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I think some of you e-tec bashers need to get over it .

captain rednut
12-03-2008, 09:23 PM
hi
put up this thread again in six years, when you e-tec wallys are due for your second service? i bet we never hear anymore?????? cheers

black runner
12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Only took less than a page this time to deteriorate into another useless slanging match.;)

Fish Guts
12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
hardly a slanging match..im still waiting for some photos to start popping up

Tangles
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
my one cent, those etecs look bloody shocking with american flags all over them, dont care how well they go... that is so dodgy....dont care about the figures,

yep, im shallow,,, i have a 4 stroke... trolls easy, no smell,,, good on petrol, not worried about holeshots etc..quiet enough, and suits me and the wife, if an etec rocks your boat.. cool.. and many mates of mine have 2 strokes and they all go fine, whatever suits you.

What gets my goat is how boat dealers are so aligned to a brand,, ie you want to buy 'X' boat... in your area you have to buy 'X' outboard...

mike

sea raider
13-03-2008, 12:08 PM
This came off an American Website, this bloke actually seems to be qualified to be able to talk about the E-Tec. i.e. HE HAS ACTUALLY USED ONE!!!

Link to the website is www.marinelocker.com/ (http://www.marinelocker.com/)

EVINRUDE E-TEC TESTIMONIAL

By Danny Fox

I have been fishing Bermuda waters for many years and I am frequently offshore 25 to 30 miles. When it came time to power my Yellowfin 34 the choice was easy, having been a long time customer of Evinrude and Marine locker I have grown extremely confident with their product and excellent service and support. Having twin ETEC 250’s on a 34ft boat pushing it to 53 mph and cruising at 40 mph @ 1.8 mpg is exactly what I need for the style of fishing I do, but what I did not expect was the ability to run at 27 mph on one engine if needed. The quietness of a four stroke with the power of a two stroke is the perfect combination for me and spending more time on the water as opposed to doing oil changes is the ETEC advantage.

I have fished internationally for many years and have been very fortunate to have participated and won my share of tournaments the highlights being:-
The Key West International Light Tackle Tournament
The Bermuda International light Tackle Tournament
Big Game Classic Largest Blue Marlin 797#
Sea Horse Anglers Club Largest Blue Marlin 534#
IGFA World Championship in Cabo San Lucas

sea raider
13-03-2008, 12:16 PM
when i see etecs bolted to the back of the following boats. i will start to take in the crap you etec braggers say.

1-vmr boats
2- water police

I will eat my sandshoes if you can post up here, at least 5 credible photos of commercially used etecs around Australia. If they were soooooooooo goood in all of these areas, especially economy and 'FUEL EFFICIENCY' i could gurantee all the cash strapped vmr's and pro fisherman would have them on within a few weeks.

In my opinion. these engines are only good in the low horsepower ranges 15-150. however they cannot, and will not, beat the economy of the big 4 strokes, namely suzuki. if someone can prove me otherwise with the economy between an etec and a top end suzuki i will be very suprised. and this crap about holeshot. are you all towing 3 skiers around when your going fishing ? i know for a fact that if i was to open the throttles on a pair of twin 250 four strokes id have 4 people knocked out lying in the back cockpit. enough of the etec crap.

Bet you'll be too gutless to get the Nikes out!!!

These pictures are from around the world with only one from Aussie. But at the end of the day, a marine environment is a marine environment

Noelm
13-03-2008, 12:36 PM
hhmm do you want Salt or Sauce with your Sandshoes??

Noelm
13-03-2008, 12:38 PM
hi
put up this thread again in six years, when you e-tec wallys are due for your second service? i bet we never hear anymore?????? cheers
I wonder how many Verados will still be going well in 6 years too? and they are 4 strokes!

sea raider
13-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Etec's Mac Computers and Volkswagons all have owners that are constantly seeking reasurance that they made they right choice. Get on with it guys buy a yammy a windows compute and a subaru.

OK, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe when you have learned to spell, I might consider it.;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Geoff

chop duster
13-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Geoff,
do you know 2 of the boats don't even have e-tecs fitted ? let alone Fish guts request for 5 pictures from Australia.

P.S - so is disordely gonna jump all over you for your lame cut and paste job from an e-tec testimonial?

rubba
13-03-2008, 03:35 PM
hello fellas have recently bought cruise craft outsider and have 175 e-tec and seems to give good fuel econ and runs well.8-)

sea raider
13-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Geoff,
do you know 2 of the boats don't even have e-tecs fitted ? let alone Fish guts request for 5 pictures from Australia.

P.S - so is disordely gonna jump all over you for your lame cut and paste job from an e-tec testimonial?

1. They dont either! Fancy that, it only leaves seven, not five.

2. Quote " These pictures are from around the world with only one from Aussie. But at the end of the day, a marine environment is a marine environment" I actually thought that would cover that, obviously not.

3. I dont know, thats entirely up to Disorderly.

chop duster
13-03-2008, 04:11 PM
So who is getting their Nikes out? and why?

disorderly
13-03-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't know about the rest of the country,Fish guts but 50% of the fishing charter boats out of Mission beach run E-tec'shttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif.
I'll even post you a tasty pair of well used sneakers if you like.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/kiss.gif

sea raider
13-03-2008, 04:22 PM

You obviously dont read too well Choppy???

Fish Guts
13-03-2008, 04:45 PM
sea raider.

you must have misread what i posted. post up 5 pictures of commerical applications of etecs in australia. Etec's (not 2 stroke evinrudes) and Australia being the key words. And please dont suggest that the yank market is an appropriate measure for marine trends, especially regarding fuel consumption. A yank worried about worried about fuel consumption?? id like to see that. it actually does etecs an injustice in suggesting that yanks are using them. fuel prices arent a big issue over there, just look at the pickups and price of unleaded per gallon.

so for now the nikes will stay in the box until im proven otherwise. im not even convinced you had one australian commercial boat in all of those promo pics mate.

c'mon..stop playing silly buggers

chop duster
13-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm too slow !

sea raider
13-03-2008, 05:03 PM
There was one,

The DPI boat, unless anyone knows of another country that has a Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries.

sea raider
13-03-2008, 05:09 PM
sea raider.

you must have misread what i posted. post up 5 pictures of commerical applications of etecs in australia. Etec's (not 2 stroke evinrudes) and Australia being the key words. And please dont suggest that the yank market is an appropriate measure for marine trends, especially regarding fuel consumption. A yank worried about worried about fuel consumption?? id like to see that. it actually does etecs an injustice in suggesting that yanks are using them. fuel prices arent a big issue over there, just look at the pickups and price of unleaded per gallon.

so for now the nikes will stay in the box until im proven otherwise. im not even convinced you had one australian commercial boat in all of those promo pics mate.

c'mon..stop playing silly buggers

Are you saying an engine being used in a marine environment in the USA, UK or even Europe has a much easier life than here in Australia?

I thought salt water was salt water, no matter where it is.

Why do you put your old shoes in a box??

Cheers

Geoff

Fish Guts
13-03-2008, 05:10 PM

sea raider
13-03-2008, 06:01 PM
its taking you a while mate. i could have literally about 200 photos up here of suzukis on commercial boats.

Well thats great, go ahead!!

So you should, how long have Suzuki had motors compared to the E-tec?? 1977 or 31 years compared to 2004 or 4 years

I could literally put up the same for Mercury (Since 1939), Honda (1969) and Johnson (1913). They have all been around a lot longer. I could probably even get more pictures of the British Seagull motors than I could the E-tec simply because they were manufactured from the 1930s through to the 1990s

I'm not saying that any of these manufacturers have ever built a crap motor, I never have, all I have ever done is extol the benefits of the E-tecs through my own personal experiences and I find it offensive that someone can doubt my or my outboards credibility when they have had absolutely no experience with them at all and base their bigoted facts on unsubstantiated claims.

Cheers

Geoff

finding_time
13-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Now that is funny!!

TheRealAndy
13-03-2008, 09:50 PM
They are all the same, get over it. Noelem has been preaching this for some time now, he is right.

cormorant
13-03-2008, 11:15 PM
This talk of VMR and Police , waterways etc implies they buy the best. I don't care what brand it is that statement is crap - total crap and double total crap if that's the way you think it works.

These organisations don't get the same deal as you me , mum and dad retail or pro fisherman.

These organisations get motors with guaranteed buyback from manufacturer, guaranteed servicable hours, maintainance contracts, fixed price etc etc need I go on.

The companies be it mercury , BRP, Yamaha , honda , suzuki etc all use them as promotion opportunities as they know that boaters will think they are good. I know of just about every brand crapping itself in commercial service and these motors are simply sent back to head office- servicing dealer doesn't even see the invioce. Head office gets to assess possible weakpoint in their motors due to the fast hours done by these organisations. Some organisations have got so pissed with the providers of these motors ,there reliability and hours on line and not in service that they now demand spare motors and powerheads to be left so parts can be scavanged and powerheds changed over to cut downtime.

Half these deals are done by the accountants at head office and not the day to day users of many of them ain't happy. The accountants have bought motors that don't easily fit in engine wells , have crap controls , overweight for horsepower and unsuitable for some hulls etc etc

FOI will get you copies of the tender documents and some complete ones are on the net if you look hard enough.

Wish I could get those deals and service.

Anyone would reckon that BMW or Mercedes or whoever are doing the pace car at the F1 is the best car on earth. Christ they had a dodge viper at some events - best car ever- crap

I remember many commercial boats having f icht motors on them 1999-2000 even after all the failures- so were they the best?? Nah but they had the contract for that tender period so just kept putting gearboxes and powerheads on just like hondas has done in the last 2 years. Anyone would reckon mercury was crap as you don't see many on commercial vessels.

It's all just advertising smoke and mirrors and sponsorship. Surprised you didn't mention the trailerboat magazine boats all having XX brand as obviosly they would only buy the best most reliable motor - yeah as if - just a bit more obvious they are biased to who gives them a good deal or advertising dollars through the door.

Far side
14-03-2008, 05:27 AM
hello fellas have recently bought cruise craft outsider and have 175 e-tec and seems to give good fuel econ and runs well.8-)

Hey dale you dont want to buy into this they are all fishin for bites on ETEC (and Catching)

I think they are a good motor but like most people you tend to want to stick with something you know and have used in the past.

Looking forward to seeing the boat and going offshore in mine with you

Noelm
14-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I reckon you guys had better throw away your old Sandshoes, have a group hug and get over all this mine is bigger/better/faster than yours, it will NEVER end, no one is a winner and all Motors are good, DEAL WITH IT, everyone does not think exactly like youi!!!!

Fish Guts
14-03-2008, 12:24 PM
havent seen any pictures yet boys.

notsa
14-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Shit ,shit and more shit E-TEC engines are as good as any 4st and better in other ways IMO. Having said that I would still buy a 4st any day but today I like my E-TEC.

chop duster
14-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Shit ,shit and more shit E-TEC engines
I agree! hahahahah. sorry notsa

manchild
14-03-2008, 06:34 PM
What exatly your experience with etecs chop duster?Apart from shitstirring?

chop duster
14-03-2008, 08:19 PM
manchild,
tell ya the truth, i don't have much against the e-tec itself, its more the tools who constantly rave on about how good they are.
You on the other hand defend although don't try to preech, so good for you.
Prob shouldn't of had a go at notsa as I agree with his post, but sometimes i can't help myself.

disorderly
14-03-2008, 08:37 PM
manchild,
tell ya the truth, i don't have much against the e-tec itself, its more the tools who constantly rave on about how good they are.

Ive no problem with people letting others know the good points(and bad points) about their boat or motor regardless of brand.
The only ones who bother me are those tools who constantly rave on about something they know nothing about.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
Sound familiar chopduster.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

So please let me know are you somebody thats qualified because of your own personal experiences with the E-Tec to produce valid arguments against them or one of those tools who raves on about something you know nothing about.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Spaniard_King
14-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I recon I would be the most qualified here ... what do you recon scott :)

disorderly
14-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I recon I would be the most qualified here ... what do you recon scott :)

Given your credentials,Garry.I'd say more qualified than most.
Albeit a little one eyed at times.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Spaniard_King
14-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks scott.. I think :)

have to get bak to the tele.. Titans are winning and goin to wet a line tomorrow.. forecast loks good :)

hope you guys get a chance to wet a line one the weeekend :)

disorderly
14-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Good luck tomorrow,Garry.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif
No fishing up here...20-30 knot winds tomorrow and Tully river is about to go over the Bruce highway again...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif

Spaniard_King
14-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Scott, hopefully I can post some pics to kep you interested :)

Tangles
14-03-2008, 09:18 PM
after reading so many debates on etecs vs every motor out there, its a bit like groundhog day, i have only one question... Why am i still reading these threads? I need therapy;D

Mike

chop duster
14-03-2008, 09:27 PM
disorderly,
funny you should reply to that post, hmmmm..........;)

Prob shouldn't of had a go at notsa as I agree with his post, but sometimes i can't help myself.

well i think I have made my point! :-X

Aigutso, I think we all do... hahah

notsa
16-03-2008, 10:18 AM
disorderly,
funny you should reply to that post, hmmmm..........;)

well i think I have made my point! :-X

Aigutso, I think we all do... hahah
That's ok chop duster.

death_ship
16-03-2008, 06:43 PM
jeez u guys are still at it
i guess blind faith has its place
carry on

Smithy
16-03-2008, 07:12 PM
This is from the Fish n Waves - Gamefish Central Forum and a member called Bulldog. I don't know what commercial application he uses his Etecs in but he is not happy.

27-02-2008, 09:06 PM
BULLDOG (http://fishnwaves.com.au/waves/member.php?u=11) http://www.fishnwaves.com.au/waves/images/statusicon_mns/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_14395", true);
Gamefisher
http://www.fishnwaves.com.au/waves/images/misc_mns/im_msn.gif (http://fishnwaves.com.au/waves/showthread.php?t=1908#)

eTEC'S... are a dirty word in my line of work.

I work on the water commercially and one of our boats has 225Etecs on it and have had nothing but problems. Buggered fuel injection, Oil problems, gearboxes, and just about everything else.
We run Yammie 4 stroke 225s on our other Patrol cats and they havnt missed a beat and have clicked over 3500hrs.
Currently our Etec boat is missing a leg waiting on more parts.
That promo video is the greatest load of crap ever produced for sure.
Id like to see if they were running correctly pitched props in some of those stunts.
In comparison to the Yammies on nightshift we have to wear earplugs with the etecs as the are loud and rattle everything in the boat.

We might have got a bad set of the early motors but Evinrude provided us with a new set under warranty and those have spent as much time offline as the first pair.

Just giving you my spin on the things.

Bulldog

Reel Blue
16-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm curious, why is Smithy's post 'useful'?
Fact: Someone known as 'Bulldog' is having problems with his ETEC's. I hope they're fixed and I hope I don't have problems with mine (175 ETEC) which has so far done 130 hours like a swiss sewing machine.

Fact: In Rainbow Beach two separate Charter operators have had trouble with Yamaha HPDI's, Suziki outboards and I know of another with trouble with his Yamaha 150 four stroke that needed towing in. Would I have a Yamaha or Suzuki? Absolutely and I have had both without any hassles.

Conclusion: Mechanical products are fallible and can fail. Add in a marine environment, fuel that may be stale or contain water, human error when servicing and any number of other variables and you will find that all of the brands will fail, as do cars, bikes, planes and anything else mechanical you care to mention.

Speak to any VMR about their requests for assistance and guess what, surprise surprise, it won't only be Evinrude motors that failed!!

Fish Guts
16-03-2008, 08:27 PM
what problems did they have with the suzis as i have yet to find credible sources to confirm any problems with suzis that werent due to unsatisfactory servicing or operation ??

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Reel Blue it';s usefull as not many owners are game enough to post that they are axperiencing problems with a particular brand!

Also it shows..like you said nothing is infalable.

On another point, I don't frequent that site to find out this info.

Fish Guts
16-03-2008, 08:33 PM
i dont think il be eating my sandshoes just yet...

Reel Blue
16-03-2008, 08:46 PM
The boat 'Baitrunner's skipper printed in the local Rainbow News that from memory a small screw or the like had come loose and caused some significant damage that put a motor out of action. It was quickly repaired. I watched a boat get towed away from the outer bank that broke down on the bar with a 140 suziki. I don't know what was wrong with it. I believe that the Suzuki are one of the best motors in the business but being mechanical are not infallable. That is my point.

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Geezusss, wouldn't ya just like a dollar for every screw that has ever come loose on an outboard:P

Reelblue if you were to gain statistics on outboard breakdowns how many do you recon would be dealer related and how many would be brand related.. dealers have a lot to answer for IMO

finding_time
17-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Well i spend saturday night having a beer with a guy that had nothing good to say about his big e-tec, apart from being VERY thirsty ( big block) and using plenty of that liquid gold ( e-tec oil, more fuel more oil) the first 5 trips offshore he was towed home!! The boat went into limp mode, they eventually worked out the problem ( only took them 5 goes and about 17 days in the shop, there are some clever mechanics out there but these engines seem to have them stumped at times!!) Anyway he's fixed the problem the engine is now a metalic blue and srokes 4 times per bang! He nmisses the hull shot but not the sight of the tow vessel!

Ian

Ps. watch out for bubbles in the oil line etec owners apparently they dont like it!!! And they can be hard to track down!

Noelm
17-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I reckon what we should all do, is get a nice glossy Brochure for our own Favorite brand, organise a meet and greet, and then (as I mentioned before) just all have a group hug and then head off with our brochures in hand and make sure we do not go blind from using the aforementioned Brochure to satisfy our "urges" (if you get what I mean)

Smithy
17-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Adding more from Bulldog on Fish n Waves in another thread.

In my other job I drive a boat rigged with twin 225 4st Yammies and they are pretty much trouble free.
They are on Naval Patrol Noosacats based out of Garden Island which are run continually on 12hr shifts and have been very reliable and for what they do pretty good on fuel.
There are two patrol cats there and one back up cat all with the 225's on them and they havnt let me down yet in a major way.
Shortly some technical guys from Yamaha Japan are coming to check out the motors as these have ticked over huge hours and they want to have a good look at them.

And for a bit of balance.

27-05-2007, 08:55 PM
brute force (http://fishnwaves.com.au/waves/member.php?u=1108) http://www.fishnwaves.com.au/waves/images/statusicon_mns/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_12182", true);
Gamefisher

deffiently dont go with the new suzkuki 4 strokes sh*t house mate, we have twin 250hp on the charter boat i work on and we run almost every day and we have broken down 5 times in a year, id go with the new yamaha 4 strokes or mabye even the envinrude etec, my boss is changing over to yamaha. He used to have 2 stroke yamahas on and he didnt have a problem for 2 years, until his change to suzkuki to keep the fuel costs down which was a waste of time.

thats just my opion. good luck

daniel

Noelm
17-03-2008, 01:26 PM
just sort of along these lines, has anyone with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke had any troubles with bad idling?? I am a member of a couple of US sites, and it is fairly common to have them vibrate bits off them when idling for long periods in gear (slow trolling) it seems to be a "feature" and most Yammy gurus just say to live with it, you cannot fix it, they are OK out of gear, and at more than 1,000RPM, but in gear idle is a drama (or so it would seem) now I do NOT have one, do NOT have a grip with them or anything else, just stating what I have read on a very reliable site!

Spaniard_King
17-03-2008, 01:47 PM
OK,

have put up a few post's in the USA, heres where I have one if you want to follow the thread http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12478/148447.shtml

Noelm
17-03-2008, 01:50 PM
will do! lurk around there myself from time to time.

Noelm
17-03-2008, 01:51 PM
OH and I think the answer is that they do NOT, a dickey Injector if neglected or continued high speed use will probably fry a Piston.

Spaniard_King
17-03-2008, 01:53 PM
But Noelm how often do you think this will happen.. especially an engine with a few years behind it.. or crap fuel etc

So when do you think someone would notice this in jector issue Noelm???

Noelm
17-03-2008, 02:21 PM
the Engine WILL have a distinct miss especially at higher speed, I have seen two with dodgey Injectors and you could tell for sure, BUt I guess it could be just blocked enough to be hardly noticable (maybe) and continue to run for some time, slowly chewing the Piston to bits (maybe) but I guess it would be no more catastophic than any other major failure in a 4 stroke (broken timing belt) or two stoke, no oil in any Motor is not a good thing, either is an over heat, don't care what the operating principal is, no oil, no cooling, no lots of things can spell $$$$ in big amounts!

Noelm
17-03-2008, 02:22 PM
group hug coming up!!!

Noelm
17-03-2008, 02:33 PM
hhmm you have one answer already, not too sure it really means much, but it is a reply just the same!

Spaniard_King
17-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeh Noel,

I will keep asking to see if we get a measured response from someone with detailed knowledge.. might never happen tho

sea raider
17-03-2008, 05:17 PM

You think so?????

Salt, Pepper?

Sauce?

Make sure you take some photos and post them.

Cheers

Geoff

disorderly
17-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Sadly I think you just like to talk tough,'ole mate.
You certainly don't shy away from sticking the boot into the E-Tec's and their owners.
But now your bluff has been called......so what's it to be.....more excuses and BS or will you actually come good with your promise of eating your sandshoe's.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
I already know the answer to that one, I reckonhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.
BTW ,do you actually have a name or are you just the typical keyboard warrior who snipes away from behind the safety of an alias .

Yours truly,

Scott Cains
www.nqheliconias.com (http://www.nqheliconias.com)

Outsider1
17-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Garry,

some info on E-Tec piston design and materials used;

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/news/releases/2004/04-117.html

Cheers

Dave

Spaniard_King
17-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Dave,

Certainly looks like they are on a winner there. Time will tell if the way forward for Etecs is some sort of combustion feedback to give them greater combustion and emission control.

There is still the odd owner complaining of fuel consumption issues. ya hear most of the Etec brigade praising them but honestly.. who do you beleive.

disorderly
17-03-2008, 08:17 PM
There is still the odd owner complaining of fuel consumption issues. ya hear most of the Etec brigade praising them but honestly.. who do you beleive.

From my experience Garry,with my 90 ,if I drive with economy in mind then I get around 2.5km per litre ...if I give it some...as in 60km's out and the same back at WOT then I will be down around 1.7-1.8km/l. In the 2 situations I find that oil use will nearly double if I drive at WOT rather then cruise speed as well...which I don't think is such a bad thing as this is when you would expect that the engine needs far more oil.

So really I don't think they are much different from other outboards .....drive them flat out and of course they will use proportionally more fuel and oil.That's just the nature of the beast.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Spaniard_King
17-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Scott, I hear what your saying and to me that is better than average fuel economy for a 90 Etec.

I have a pretty heavy boat and a large engine and fortunately I have been able to compare the exact same boat with a 225 Etec. He cant get near my economy and I dont think I am all that good... best I can get is 100klm for 66 litres

I know fuel economy is more or less dependant on power to weight but some of the figures quoted on here are hard to swallow

DALEPRICE
17-03-2008, 08:41 PM
hey sea raider,

it look as though that the 4th picture is being towed ?? the one with
the twin etec's. both motors are trimmed really high and it
looks like a solid rope comming off the front ??

cheers dale

disorderly
17-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I know fuel economy is more or less dependant on power to weight but some of the figures quoted on here are hard to swallow

You know Garry...I also find it a little hard to believe when I read owners reports on here that 200hp plus Suzuki's or E-tec's are getting nearly 2km/l....http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

mod5
17-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I have just deleted several posts and warned some members.

STOP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS.

Otherwise members WILL be banned and the thread removed.

charlieash
17-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Go fro a spin around the southern morteon bay area and check out the pro boats especially the crabbers and youll get your five photos. the dpi boat that has all the electorodes hanging off it has a 115 etec. Fisheries are looking to get rid of the suzukis off there rib after having to spend 12 k on a head rebuild on one of the engines

Outsider1
17-03-2008, 10:28 PM
hey sea raider,

it look as though that the 4th picture is being towed ?? the one with
the twin etec's. both motors are trimmed really high and it
looks like a solid rope comming off the front ??

cheers dale

I think you will find that is an outrigger pole Dale, and it is running under its own propulsion;

http://www.escapesportfishing.com/boats.asp

Cheers

Dave

Outsider1
17-03-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't think it really means anything, as stated by some previous posters, but is not that hard to find pictures of commercial and work boats powered by E-Tecs. Here are a few of the dozens I came across via a Google search. Sorry, could not be bothered copying all the pictures, so here are the website links;

http://www.safety-boat-services.co.uk/fleet.php

http://www.hookedonpanama.com/fleet.htm

http://www.commercialdivebvi.com/Website_2006/equipment/equipment.htm

http://www.wright-international.com/wil1573-halmaticarctic28rib.php

http://www.eurooffshoreservices.nl/index.php?id=17

http://www.charterguideservice.com/inshore.htm

http://australiancoralfarms.com.au/help_utilities/about_us.html

http://www.kelpieboats.com/outboards.asp

http://www.africadiver.com/White_Shark_Breaching_Cape_Town.html

http://www.bayrescue.com.au/Boats.htm

http://www.radonboats.com/newsletter24.html

http://www.griffmarineservices.co.uk/

http://www.agni.gr/kefalonia_travel_guide/Members/IONIAN_SEAFARIS/index.asp

http://www.billmunsonboats.com/32photospage.html

http://www.dansdiveshop.ca/Charters.html

Cheers

Dave

cormorant
17-03-2008, 11:12 PM
This is from the Fish n Waves - Gamefish Central Forum and a member called Bulldog. I don't know what commercial application he uses his Etecs in but he is not happy.

Why don't you jsut ask him?

Bulldog works the security boats based out of garden island in Syd. They have 3 large Noosacats all with 225s on them that run back and forth between the different naval sites on the harbour on 12 hour shifts 24 hours a day. Yammies and etecs. There is a bit more to that story.

Imagine oil changing your Yammi every 100hrs- that's every 9 days? Own staff service motors or contractors?

A commercial client but again a comment from crew not someone who pays the bills or chooses the motors on his boats.

PS I like yammies and I just hate to see stuff out of context

sea raider
18-03-2008, 08:36 AM
what problems did they have with the suzis as i have yet to find credible sources to confirm any problems with suzis that werent due to unsatisfactory servicing or operation ??

Gee,

You could actually say the same thing about E-Tecs. That doesnt stop you bagging them though!!!

MyEscape
18-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Well I normally don't buy into "debates" like this, and also I've never been on a boat with an ETEC, nor do I know of anyone with one.

So I have no knowledge on them, BUT

they do promote a lot of discussion and that's a lot of free advertising.

Steve

FNQCairns
18-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Fisheries are looking to get rid of the suzukis off there rib after having to spend 12 k on a head rebuild on one of the engines

This is what scares me, imagine spending 13k for a good condition just out of warranty 4st then, another 12k needs to be spent:o ,would 12k amount to a new undressed powerhead on a big one of these?

The mere thought is un-comprehensible when using the past as a benchmark.

cheers fnq

Smithy
18-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Cormorant,

I think the second quote from Bulldog I put up answers that as well. As far as servicing, that is pretty much what the Mooloolaba Mackerel pros have to do and it doesn't worry them. If the fish are on and they are putting on heaps of hours quick, I believe they set aside the 7th day or whatever as a service day. They are dropping the oils out themselves though.

Noel,

The 115 4-stroke Yammies would maybe be the 2nd most common engine with the Mooloolaba Makerel pros, maybe behind the 140 Suzukis. If there was an inherint problem with them I am sure people on the coast here would have heard about them. They still keep putting them on the back so they can't be all that bad.

Noelm
18-03-2008, 10:20 AM
fully agree, but I just reported what I read in a US forum, the Motor performs perfect, but in gear at idle, they vibrate, faster is OK, out of gear is OK, one big feature of the Yammie 4 stroke is that to adjust the valves, the camshaft needs to come out and shims fitted to do the adjustment, it is a very big job, but luckily, they rarely need adjusting!

Spaniard_King
18-03-2008, 01:36 PM
12 K is a bit much for a head rebuild, concidering fisheries use a lot of 140's I cant see where they would be spending 12k

Short motor for a honda 225 is only $5600.00 RRP

business class
18-03-2008, 01:48 PM
there is no point in argueing with Gary he knows more about engines then most of us ever will. Plus you guys are argueing over a 4 stroke to a E tec, seriously. Everyone with any knowledge knows 4strokes are the way to go over Etecs. hense why so many (LARGE) E tecs are blowing up. Lets just end this and everyone go out and buy a Suzuki. Stamo (Matty)

charlieash
18-03-2008, 02:23 PM
the 12 k is what warren from fisheries stated they where charged. With no disrespect what makes gary the ultimate authority on engines. And matty whats your last name Haines or are you just taken the piss ::)

chop duster
18-03-2008, 02:45 PM
12k for 2 dressed powerheads?

FNQCairns
18-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Short motor for a honda 225 is only $5600.00 RRP

You joshing!!That's awful cheap Gary! Well it's not actualy cheap as in by definition but thats cheaper than some basic 2 stroke undressed powerheads unless their price has crashed in the last few years.

That means for around $3000 AUD I could import one to my door from the states, apples for apples based on their usual outboard parts sell price of less than or near half here.

You sure that RRP? not dealer mates rates here in OZ, in theory I could go close to building a complete 225 in parts for less than a new one, or at least go close.

Need to chase up some Yank Honda parts sellers cause I have seen the odd Honda going for scrap prices that really only needed a new powerhead to be good again. I would own one.

Really not doubting you just trying to fill in my confusion, I have heard somewhere Honda has relatively cheap new spares.

cheers fnq

charlieash
18-03-2008, 03:05 PM
12k for 2 dressed powerheads?
just one in her best frock ;D

Spaniard_King
18-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Really not doubting you just trying to fill in my confusion, I have heard somewhere Honda has relatively cheap new spares.

cheers fnq

I don't think Honda has cheap new spares but I do think some of the other brands are a bit on the dear side when it comes to parts.

And Yes thats RRP..Honda recon its a 20 hour job to fit... best I have done is 26hrs::)

Spaniard_King
18-03-2008, 03:08 PM
there is no point in argueing with Gary he knows more about engines then most of us ever will. Plus you guys are argueing over a 4 stroke to a E tec, seriously. Everyone with any knowledge knows 4strokes are the way to go over Etecs. hense why so many (LARGE) E tecs are blowing up. Lets just end this and everyone go out and buy a Suzuki. Stamo (Matty)

Just like to point out I am not sure who this guy is!

Jagguar???

business class
18-03-2008, 03:10 PM
the 12 k is what warren from fisheries stated they where charged. With no disrespect what makes gary the ultimate authority on engines. And matty whats your last name Haines or are you just taken the piss ::)

No disrespect taken! And for the last name HAINES hell no! Just saying that at the end of the day Everyone knows that the larger size Etecs are something we should use as a FAD not rely on to get us home. so why is everyone still trying to compare a 2stroke up against some of the best engines around:-/ . I just dont get it. :o Matty

business class
18-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Just like to point out I am not sure who this guy is!

Jagguar???

Thats a bit rough mate. Its the Jaguar. ;) Matty

Spaniard_King
18-03-2008, 03:22 PM
So your leaving all the fish to me this weekend and going to Awoonga??

Got 2 weeks off from thursday, just intime for the weather to pik up :)

business class
18-03-2008, 03:29 PM
So your leaving all the fish to me this weekend and going to Awoonga??

Got 2 weeks off from thursday, just intime for the weather to pik up :)

Yeah i know! awoonga hopefully and i mean hopefully will be good fishing. If this weekend has good weather i think you will do really well if you head down there. >:( You gone any good lately? Next time you head out when i get back throw me an invite i wanna see what all the talk is with your new boat and see how it compares to the Jaguar!!!!;)

preso
18-03-2008, 05:12 PM
HEEEEEELLLLPPPPPPP MEEEEEE...............
I read it all###%^$#@!@$%%^%$#@$.

kingtin
21-03-2008, 08:51 AM
HEEEEEELLLLPPPPPPP MEEEEEE...............
I read it all###%^$#@!@$%%^%$#@$.

I'm as sad as you Preso...................I just read the who0le friggin' lot :-)

I know sweet fa about engines but I do know that I've had trouble with 'em all except the Yammy (back in the UK) but I didn't run that as long as the mercs. Mercs have served me well, despite the black anchor tag and despite researching, and not finding much on 'em, I've gone for the 90hp ELPT EFI 4 stroke over the optimax.

What it boils down to (for me) is that yes, you keep your eyes and ears open, listen to others' experiences, and do your research, but in the long run, personal experience counts more than anything.

kev

sea raider
26-03-2008, 09:07 AM
[quote=Fish Guts;782147]when i see etecs bolted to the back of the following boats. i will start to take in the crap you etec braggers say.

1-vmr boats
2- water police

[quote]

Hmmmm,

More lies

Fish Guts
26-03-2008, 10:31 AM
how old are you sea raider ?

sea raider
26-03-2008, 10:51 AM
how old are you sea raider ?

Whats that got to do with it?

You promise something, then you renege on it.

Are you going to eat your sandshoes?

If so, can you post pics?

Cheers

Geoff

chop duster
26-03-2008, 11:31 AM
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that (an e-tec on a commercial vessel) which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

there thats better sea raider:-*

Noelm
26-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I guess choppy did not see the Commercial Boat on Fishing Australia last weekend with the twin Etecs on it!

business class
26-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Was that the commercial boat that was gettin towed in?????? HA HA HA HA yeah i saw it.

sea raider
26-03-2008, 04:49 PM

[quote][The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that (an e-tec on a commercial vessel) which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

there thats better sea raider:-*/QUOTE]

Choppy, a wise man once said

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

I know you dont read very well, so please get someone to read this to you, maybe get them to explain it as well. Then Think about it.

jimbo59
26-03-2008, 05:16 PM
If e-tecs wouldnt smell i would buy 1 but i cant stand outboard fumes,makes me throw up.Thats all i wont rubbish them as powerplants.

chop duster
26-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Sea Raider,
You aren't too bright are you?
I think Fish guts has made his point regarding the lack of commercially used E-tecs in Australia::) and i think it it safe to assume, he won't be eating his shoes, taking a picture and posting it up for you to get your jollies over, OK.

Noelm,
nah missed it, didn't even realise that show was still on. That sheila he had on a couple of episodes was alright though!

Jabba_
26-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Hey Chop duster... Are you and Fish Guts aware that NONE of the VMR, DPI, Water police and Rescue boats in QLD decide on what engine goes on the back off there boat....

The bean counter in the QLD government makes that decision for them... And main reason for fitting the Suzuki or any other motor for that fact is PRICE and service from the supplier....

Fact being that the Hains Group has buckets loads off money and is the one biggest boat manufacturers in Australia, and who is also the importer and Australia distributor for Suzuki.... So It come as no surprise that they would want the Suzuki seen on the back off all those QLD government boats, and they would off tendered hard to get the contract... Hains Group would also be in a better financial position then all the other outboard importers, giving H/G the advantage to win the tender....

Believe it or not, there are some silly and naive people at there that think that because the VMR or water police use these motors, then they must be the best and most reliable..... How silly is that... That more sillier then believing the E-tec Promo DVD

It use to be Yamaha on the back off all these QLD commercial boats. But look at the mess that Yamaha is in at the moment, and hence why they did not win the contract....

chop duster
26-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Jabba_
I couldn't give a toss, about the number of E-tecs on the back of comercial boats, although I can understand why Fish Guts said what he did.
Maybe Sea raider should read your post, and he might get over the sand shoe's thing? Poor bugger is prob still seaching google for pic's or going hard with photoshop:-/

Fish Guts
26-03-2008, 08:04 PM
i give up. i will agree to disagree. case closed