PDA

View Full Version : night time navagation...do u need a light

fleety77
12-03-2008, 10:32 AM
was looking at getting a light as want to leave early mornings and do a spot of night fishing, ringing around and a bloke told me that u really dont need one just take a spotty if you need it, any ideas guys???

seatime
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM
what sort of light do you mean?

a hand held spotty is a good idea for picking out navigation marks, crab pot floats, debris in the water, etc.
a plain old torch is needed as back-up.

LED deck lights are popular as they're low drain.

LED running lights and anchor light could be worth consideration too.

regards
Steve

fleety77
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
the boat has basic port and starboard lights and a nav light on the back, wat i mean is whilst just travelling, do u require a head light (like a car) to see where your goin

Noelm
12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
if you mean like as in "headlights" then the answer is NO, but a hand held spotlight can be Ok to see markers and so on, once you get out a bit, you will notice that you can see quite well, and just keep your own Navigation lights working and your stern/white light in a position so it is not in front of your vision, then you will be fine. best off to try a couple of late afternoon runs and practice a bit just on dark, then maybe get a bit later untill you know the area well and have some confidence.

fleety77
12-03-2008, 10:53 AM
thanks pal just what i wanted to know. whan u say hand held spotty should i install a cig lighter and get a light that runs 12 v or just buy a battery powered light??

Brumby
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I carry a dolphin torch with a couple of spare batteries - cheap as from Bunnings etc, but the one I use most is one of those "headlamp horace" models with a strap around the head - points where you are looking and good enough to light up a beacon, crab pots etc if you're going slowly.

I don't have it on unless I'm unsure of where I am at - there is normally enough light to figure out what's ahead, especially if you look after your night vision.

SeaHunt
12-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Its opposite to a car , you see less with the headlights on while on the water.
Main thing is to slow down and keep your eyes open. If you see something in or on the water stop and then use the spottie to check it out or find a nav mark etc.
Remember it will take a few seconds after you turn it off to get your night vision back, and looking through a windscreen at night probably cuts visibility in half.

fleety77
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
so forget the 12v install and just go a dolphin????????????? that would suit me better for the time being......

baitwaster
12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Dolphin will keep you legal and out of trouble. It does pay to know where you are going and what is around you at night. I have done about 50 laps of the pine river since I got my boat, and only had my third night trip last night. Probably a bit over-cautious, but I have never had to swim home before.

I bought one of those really big torches from supacheap for 60 bucks. 10 million CP (claimed - LOL) and charges off mains power, battery clips, and ciggie lighter, all chargers are included, it will run direct from external battery if it is flat, and has a handy battery level indicator on the side of it. - pretty heavy bugger though, but good for lighting up the shoreline if need be.

fleety77
12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
funds limited at the moment, just brought a boat!!! lol, so whats a doliphin worth, what sort of batteries do they take?? I was looking in a bias catalouge thay got a arlec floating torch, 11 bucks and 6 for the battery!! looks decent not sure of power output though would this be okay in the mean time??

dnej
12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
For $ 20 dollars,you can get the rechargeable spot light from Supercheap.Charges at home,or in the car,or on the boat.Better than any torch,and rechargable.
David

fleety77
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
cheers mate will have a look this arvo......................

Noelm
12-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I think of all the 9 volt torches the original Dolphin is probably the best of them I have had a couple from the discount chains and they last about 5 minutes before the switch stuffs up, the globe blows or it falls to bits, so not too fond of them, better off to spend the few dollars more (I reckon)