PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Tinny Concepts

whichway
12-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Hi

Currently trying to work out long term boat.

Thoughts are

Alum or poly (don't really care which)
5.2-5.3 long - big enough to cross bars on a good day
Tiller steer - Most comfortable position (may also consider centre console but will be close to front of boat and so will bounce more)

Main problem with Tiller steer is that you tend to get very wet when travelling at 90 degrees to the wind. My thought is to put side clears to keep dry. No clears at the front because I don't think you get that much spray over the front. Is this practical or will it take too long to fit and remove the clears (idea would be to put the clears on when travelling and take them off then fishing)

Also would this size boat go OK with two big blokes sitting down the back, or will the bow stay up. It there anything you can do to keep the bow down (outboard wedges etc)

Will a pressed tinny give a reasonably good ride (Moreton bay top end slop)?

Will it weigh below 1500kg towing weight?

Whichway

FNQCairns
12-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Tinny will be bumpy so you just need to go slower, works well in some ways like because it 80% of the time is too bumpy to go fast, a smaller more economical engine can be fitted without much compromise, the poly is heavy with a superior ride approaching glass in comparison so a bigger engine for the weight is needed but also because in the same conditions it can cruise faster.

Tinny will not touch 1500kg, poly will go closer you may find only a couple of hundred or less spare when in full trim.

If ride was the criteria I would go poly over a tinny but would own glass over both for the same reason.

All monos are wet, the further down the back the wetter they get...what you gunna do! Clears are a pain but a near nessesity Newcastle and below if fishing in the winter, a person sort of get's away without them in QLD but it's an individual thing.

cheers fnq