PDA

View Full Version : 225 optimax on a 21'

Brice
11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi All,

I am in the process of a refit and changing my 21' DeHavilland to a centre console. It currently has a 88 model 140 johnson that runs really well but have just had the opportunity to pick up a 225 optimax at a good price. Can anyone tell me if this is overpowering the boat?? It does have the 30" leg which is too long for my boat but think I may be able to overcome this by adding a pod style bracket. Can anyone give any advice on this?

Can anyone tell me what sort of money I could expect to get from the sale of the Johnson?
What would people normally pay for a 2004 225 optimax?

Thanks
Brice

Brumby
12-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Geez that would be a bit of a weapon.

I'd say though that it's likely to be more trouble than it's worth, I don't know if you'd get anyone to provide a compliance plate to allow 225 donkeys on the back of a 21' pressed alloy. That leaves you with potential insurance problems on top of the practicalities of mounting a big heavy beast out on a pod, or more likely extending the transom to fit. At the end of the day it might just spoil your boat.

Good luck with the conversion.

BM
12-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I know a guy who had a 225 Opti fitted to a 16ft Caribbean half cab. Went like a rocket. No doubt he wouldn't have had insurance but he didn't care.

Vitamin Sea
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
G'Day Brice

Tempting as it may be I would not recommend it, would be way over HP limit for the boat and to much weight on the transom ( about 240-250k's )

Could not insure it

Would not do it, I think 150 would probably be the max HP.

Cheers

Hi All,

I am in the process of a refit and changing my 21' DeHavilland to a centre console. It currently has a 88 model 140 johnson that runs really well but have just had the opportunity to pick up a 225 optimax at a good price. Can anyone tell me if this is overpowering the boat?? It does have the 30" leg which is too long for my boat but think I may be able to overcome this by adding a pod style bracket. Can anyone give any advice on this?

Can anyone tell me what sort of money I could expect to get from the sale of the Johnson?
What would people normally pay for a 2004 225 optimax?

Thanks
Brice

groverwa
12-03-2008, 10:21 AM
This reminded me of a TV news segment a few months ago here in western australia where the water police had to recue/ tow in a boat that had a humugus outboard on the back of what seemed like an old hull. The weight of the outboard had caused a major crack in the transom

Mike

ashleyhj74
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I'd love a 225hp opti for my spearfish 21. That'll be my choice when it comes time i reakon.

Wahoo
12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
get a bit of work done on the transom, i would do it, a while ago i put up a pic of a 4.35 tinny with a small pod and he was running a 200hp merc, one of his mates outdid him with a 225hp on a 4.5m tinny, both boats from Innisfail

Daz

fivefishes
12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Wahoo,

That i'd like to see, where can i see the picks? Any idea on top speed, they would be insane!

Matt

Wahoo
12-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Wahoo,

That i'd like to see, where can i see the picks? Any idea on top speed, they would be insane!

Matt

Hi Matt
i put the pics up about 12months ago i think, i still have them in the other pewter, the screen is still stuffed, im pretty sure the guy with the 200hp backed off at 70mph as it started floating, others members would remember the pic, and might of saved it

Daz

i found the link, but i must of deleted the pic from photobucket

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=103995

fivefishes
12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Daz,

Yeah i found it too, the long way!! Shame, that would have been cool to see.

Thanks anyhow,

Matt

Brice
13-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Guys,

I really appreciate the feed back. I have been racking my brain and have been harassing welders and boat shops. I have decided to go with it. My welder Guarantees me it will be fine once he finishes his work and so does the boat shop. I really can't pass the opportunity up due to the price (wholesale) as the gentlemen selling has been a friend of my fathers for 20 odd years.

I sell insurance so was already aware of the difficulties but there is always a way to do these things

Can anyone tell me what the opti would normally sell for?
What is a fair price to ask for the 140 Johnson?

Thanks Again Guys
Brice