PDA

View Full Version : Barramundi year classes in ponds

Barraboss
11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone out there might know if it is OK to put different age/size barra in a pond together.

At the hotel I work at in Cairns we have 2 large (outdoor) barra ponds in our rainforest area in the centre of the hotel. One has 5 x metre plus 17 year old fish and the other pond has 11 x 90cm barra in it. We have just rebuilt one pond and are thinking about moving some of the smaller:P barra in with their bigger "sisters". I would then like to put my two small barra (about 30cm in with the 90cm fish if that all makes sense.

I am wondering if they will attack each other or not??

Maybe someone out there in cyber world can help me on this one?

Cheers
Matt

Dan5
11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
yeah mate they most likely will eat em or atleast have a go at em,sometime's at home we would have 1mtr+ fish have a go at 50cm+ fish,at Bathurst Island barra farm they had trouble with this any fish more than about 200mm larger would try and eat one another.They would find 80cm fish choking on 50-60cm fish,if they can fit it in they will either swallow it or choke on it,but try it and take some photo's!!!

Cheer's Dan............

fish_on
11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
i reckon the 90+ will be alright in with the big girls but your little fellas i wont reckon will last long

Cammy
11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
exacly, they will be GoOoOoOone. can you get any bigger barra?

Cammo

barra_mauler001
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
can you get any bigger barra?

Cammo

Just bring a big livie home from Awoonga or Mondy... lol dunno if it'd make it 2 cairns though::)

Barraboss
13-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you for your replies. I have moved 3 fish in with the "bigger" ones, but now realise they were bigger than I first thought, almost measuring the same. Just not as heavy set.

Thanks again

Matt