PDA

View Full Version : Border Patrol yesterday

Bloody Grinner
11-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Anyone seen border patrol on tv yesterday?

My mind boggles. Annually 35 million sharks are caught, stripped off their fins and chucked aside while still alive, to sink and suffocate.

I understand people need to make a living but shark-fin soup is a highly cruel product.

It makes me angry, not so much the number of sharks being killed but the unneccesary cruelty. At least kill the shark.

Foxy4
11-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Now we all know why Sharks attack humans... Revenge.... Maybe the Border Patrol should learn to shoot a bit straighter ???? Could save a lot of paper work in the long term?;)

FNQCairns
11-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah not nesseary IMO find a use for the whole shark or just don't do it.

One thing though where did they get that figure, these days it could be straight from a green website, govt has no cause for ethics to give correct figures either, whatever suits their cause at any particular time. So take numbers with a grain of salt IMO.

cheers fnq

Rod Fishing
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Havng worked closely with Border Protection Control and customs closely at the end of last year I can tell you that the figures are from the amount of fins captured from foreign fishing vessels. It really opened m eyes up and not just the shark fin also trapang, (sea cucumber).

I was invloved in a boarding that had over 2000 shark fin on it and about 20-30 on the line.

Cheers Rod....8-)

FNQCairns
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Havng worked closely with Border Protection Control and customs closely at the end of last year I can tell you that the figures are from the amount of fins captured from foreign fishing vessels. It really opened m eyes up and not just the shark fin also trapang, (sea cucumber).

I was invloved in a boarding that had over 2000 shark fin on it and about 20-30 on the line.

Cheers Rod....8-)

Hi Rod how many customs officials does it take to count a shark fin?:) sorry couldn't resist.

Yeah I believe you, they would certaintly count those they come across although if you are saying they came across the entire trade in a year counted them and got the 35M number? if not I direct you to my original post ....it's how govt works when extrapolating...no big grants and funding and extra power unless there are big numbers, yet they have no ethical expectation for those numbers to actually represent the real world.

For example see grey nurse shark history.

cheers fnq

billfisher
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
The way I heard it was that figure is the worldwide catch of sharks - and not just those that are finned.

Mike Delisser
11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
What a cruel waste of a fish. I used to think it was just illegal foreign fishermen from our northern neighbours but with such high prices in Asia heaps of Aussies are in to it as well. Reminds me of the time I came accross thousands of big mullet on the beach, all gutted for their row and onion (worth a fortune in Japan) then just dumped.
Mike

FNQCairns
11-03-2008, 07:15 PM
What a cruel waste of a fish. I used to think it was just illegal foreign fishermen from our northern neighbours but with such high prices in Asia heaps of Aussies are in to it as well. Reminds me of the time I came accross thousands of big mullet on the beach, all gutted for their row and onion (worth a fortune in Japan) then just dumped.
Mike

Yeah I have come across that also, is it still legal? Such a waste.

cheers fnq