PDA

View Full Version : New Boat?

battleon
11-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi All

Just signed up as a new member and am after some advice. I am looking at a new boat & motor package and quite like the Haines 580 Breeze. I have been offered this with 135hp 4 stroke Honda. I know very little about the Hondas as have always had Suzuki or Yamahas.
I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on the boat and whether I should change the motor to maybe 2 stroke Yamaha?

The cost with the Honda is $59,000 drive away and below is a photo of the boat.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks all

Dave

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/biggusstickus2007/RIMG10251.jpg

conquest
11-03-2008, 07:38 AM
hi dave,i have a 680 with a 225 honda arriving in a week .
all new engines are good ,just don't use a 2 stroke if you are going to idle around all day trolling,fuel use at that is triple .
flogging from spot to spot 2s are cheap light and don't use alot more fuel onthe plain on a light boat .
good luck have fun.

battleon
11-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Thanks Conquest that sounds like a very impressive package your getting there if only I could convince her indoors to go for something like that.

thelump
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
8-) Nice looking boat but if I had a lazy 60k i think i would purchase the big Yalta 615 and walk away with 10 grand in the skyrocket. Thats just me though. Good luck I'm sure it will give you years of pleasure.

polky
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Iam a suzi man myself, first decide what the boat will mostly be doing, sking and tubbing and a little offshore fishing go the 2st, If plenty of offshore fishing go the 4st. Most motors these days are on par, It,s the technician that works on the motor that makes the difference. So if you know or have heard of a good techo have a chat with him, take his advice he,ll be working on your motor. Polky

Spaniard_King
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Battleon,

I used to have that exact rig have a look here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=108918&highlight=580+breeze

A very versatile boat I used it for fishing 60klm offshore, camping day trips etc.

You really need to look at what you want in a boat.. seriously before making a purchase like that.

tin can marlin
11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Mate before you buy it i would have a good look at the allison boats they are the best finshed glass boat i have seen on the market before you do anything have a good look them. Regards mark

Mac_Attack
11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Mate just look at it and if you really like it buy it ;D but don't buy it and then 6 months later think maybe i should have bought that signature i saw :-/ Make sure you are 100% happy with the boat first. There are so many boats to choose from out there it has taken me 12 months to coming close to finding the right boat and i still haven't found it.
Cheers Nick 8-)

Tangles
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Have you checked the new 585R... more room than than the 580,, i looked at one the other week, nice boat
mike

julian1
11-03-2008, 08:10 PM
i agree, i would seriously look at the 585r over the 580breeze

battleon
12-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks all for your replies so far, the boat will be used for 60% fishing 30% diving and 10% skiing so it needs to be a bit of an all rounder. I have a 18ft aluminium Shark Cat at present but is due for a bit of an update hence the new boat. I have looked at the 189 Allison for about the same price but not as impressed with it as the Haines, the Yalta is a little too long (7m overall) and Spaniard if I had of been on here when the boat was for sale I would have snapped it up. How did you find the 130hp Honda for power and how was the boat overall? Are there better deals out there I hav'nt found yet? How does the price of the 585R compare?

Thanks

fleety77
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
mate looks the goods to me!!!!

julian1
12-03-2008, 02:40 PM
do your homework and price around, you may be shocked, but certainly take the 585r for a test, it will have better resale as well. atm its Haines hunters biggest seller and they cannot keep with demand, my mate just got his and had waited 6months

Searaider 2
12-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Geday battleon / Dave ,
Snappa was trying to sell his 585 Seeker with a 150 HP Yammie about 12 months ago on the Boating for sale section .
It didn't sell at the time & I believe that he's still got it .
If your interested it may be worth giving him a call or PM .
Here's the link to his previous post ( it has his Mob Number on it ).
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=73788

All the best with you purchase which ever way you go .

Spaniard_King
12-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Dave, the 130 was fine. could run at 20 knots for 21 l/hr top end was around 36 knots. I had it for 4 1/2 years and did plenty of fishing. Sold it to an Ausfisher up Gladstone way.

battleon
13-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Thanks again everyone I shall certainly look at the 585R after a quick look around on the net I would say approx 64K could get a package with a 150hp Honda. I will also look at the Seeker thanks Searaider 2 and see if I like it. They all seem fairly positive comments whichever way I go.

Cheers

battleon
16-03-2008, 05:27 AM
Well I checked out the 585R a bit more and had some photos sent to me and you are right, definetly the way to go just what I'm after. What are suggestions for the best way to go as far as a engine goes. Would the Honda 150 be powerful enough or should I look at something a bit bigger?

I would love to see some more pics if anyone has one

Cheers

levinge
16-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Have you thought of a Plate boat instead of Glass, if so have a look at the Formosa Range, I am purchasing a 5.8M Centre Cab (they do Half cabs also). 135HP Honda 4stroke on the back , bells and whistles for a little over 46k. You would save yourself a heap of dollars and have a stronger boat for offshore

Worth a look if your considering spend the dollars you are working with, the extra you could spend of fiddly bits

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Have you thought of a Plate boat instead of Glass, if so have a look at the Formosa Range, I am purchasing a 5.8M Centre Cab (they do Half cabs also). 135HP Honda 4stroke on the back , bells and whistles for a little over 46k. You would save yourself a heap of dollars and have a stronger boat for offshore

Worth a look if your considering spend the dollars you are working with, the extra you could spend of fiddly bits

Levinge, how are they are stronger boat for offshore??

charlieash
16-03-2008, 09:21 AM
battleon reckon you could get a better deal than that ! Try logan river marine there a honda / etec dealer dont know if their got a 585r but they had a 600r their the other day

charlieash
16-03-2008, 09:26 AM
levinge you seriously think a formosa is a stronger better offshore boat than a haines hunter. man have you issues

levinge
16-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Maybe, but at least the extra dollars saved can go on internals. A plate is purely designed as a Fishing Boat whereas a Haines (glass) was initially designed for those wanting the Recreational Angle with fishing as an add-on. I would agree that some Glass Boats can do things that a plate can't (Ride comfort) but for versatility a plate is able to do alot more and go places that a Glass owner would not even consider.

Guess its just personal choice, Probably more glass owners down south and quite a few Plate owners in NQ. Comes down the conditions you are going to fish in!!
Plates can take the punishment for alot longer than that of a glass. We don't worry if we bang the ramp a little, DO YOU???

charlieash
16-03-2008, 03:56 PM
where exactly can plate boats go that glass boats cant ?no i dont bump my boat on the boat ramp but idont bump my tinny onthe boat ramp either. If i did at the worst id lose some jell coat nothin structual. Up at the fraser classic most of the platies are on the beach while the glas boys are still out. why because we have more weight greater deadrises ect so we can handle heavier conditions. allso its just as easy to put a hole in tin as fibreglass probably easier and at the end of the day i can get repaired just as easliy. not thta ive ever had to .I agree that plate boats do tend to have more cockpit space. But the 585r and 600r haines hunters have huge cockpits as do some of the cruisecrafts. Anyhow as long as your happy with your boat great because there all good as long as they get you out fishing:)

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe, but at least the extra dollars saved can go on internals. A plate is purely designed as a Fishing Boat whereas a Haines (glass) was initially designed for those wanting the Recreational Angle with fishing as an add-on. I would agree that some Glass Boats can do things that a plate can't (Ride comfort) but for versatility a plate is able to do alot more and go places that a Glass owner would not even consider.

Guess its just personal choice, Probably more glass owners down south and quite a few Plate owners in NQ. Comes down the conditions you are going to fish in!!
Plates can take the punishment for alot longer than that of a glass. We don't worry if we bang the ramp a little, DO YOU???

I guess I must be the exception, cause I have never seen the benefit of banging a ramp::) Is it something you pride yourself on Levinge?? Could be the ramp you use I guess. Isn't there a ramp somewhere near you where you don't mhave to "bang it"???

Why is it there isn't many old (20+) plate boats around or has design and manufacturing technique improved that much??

I love my Glass boat but for the life of me cant see how a plate boat would ever match up to it.

levinge
16-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I guess it do come down to personal choice, as for banging ramps, very rarely happens. Only time i hit bottom is when I launch and retrieve from remote beaches. But if the case did arise I wouldn't be too worried. As for Plates and their history, I'd say that they are realitively new on the market compared to glass boats. Things do tend to ware out and Glass would IMO be more in need of attention over the life of a boat than a Plate boat would, but you'd be best to answer that question. In the end whether we like glass or plate, we are enjoying a pastime that bring us hours of pleasure and relaxation, so hope to see you and your boat on the water up here in NQ, You'd love some of the destinations it could take you.

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Already had this Argument with SWMBO, we cant decide on where to go so we are staying put till we come to an agreement

levinge
16-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Trust me every corner has a snag, 1000's of corners. every Island has hundreds of shoals, 40nm to the big reef. 10 mins from closest reef. all inhabited by GT's, Spaniards, Emporer, coral trout etc, NQ is spoilt rotten by fishing.

Heck if you do come up to NQ, I'll even take you out on a PLATE boat (if you can force yourself that is). No gear needed, I have over 20 rods under the house.

Hamish73
16-03-2008, 06:00 PM
back to the original topic, if you are considering skiing the 130 on a 580 will be borderline at the best.

Greg P
16-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I guess I must be the exception, cause I have never seen the benefit of banging a ramp::) Is it something you pride yourself on Levinge?? Could be the ramp you use I guess. Isn't there a ramp somewhere near you where you don't mhave to "bang it"???

Why is it there isn't many old (20+) plate boats around or has design and manufacturing technique improved that much??

I love my Glass boat but for the life of me cant see how a plate boat would ever match up to it.

Maybe better for you when driving on the trailer Garry :-X:-X:-X;D;D;D;D

Formosa = A true Platey - hmmm that is a long bow.

Spaniard_King
16-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Maybe better for you when driving on the trailer Garry :-X:-X:-X;D;D;D;D

Formosa = A true Platey - hmmm that is a long bow.

Aww that was low Greg;) ... that was the deckies fault::) ::) or was it the trailer wasn't strong enough to handle my boat ;D ;D ;D

I see all this talk about the "True Platey" anyone want to enlighten me on the difference from a platey to a "true Platey".. ahh hang on .. just a thought.. a true platey aint made from recycled cans 8-)

battleon
16-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys I have been talking with a dealer and they reccomend a 200hp for the 585R so its a fairly big jump from the 580 Breeze with 135hp to 585R with 200hp. Is the dealer correct in the reccomendation or would the 175hp be surfficient? The best prices so far start at 56k for the 585R but not sure what motor that was with yet. It certainly pays to shop around for prices.

Levinge I have a friend who builds very very good plate boats and it was a difficult decision not to go that way especially as I could get a good discount but I have had an Ally boat for 10yrs. It was built in 1980 and its time for a change but thanks for the comments.

Still would love to see some pics surely someone has one that can take a photo or two. Please.

Cheers

Greg P
16-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I see all this talk about the "True Platey" anyone want to enlighten me on the difference from a platey to a "true Platey".. ahh hang on .. just a thought.. a true platey aint made from recycled cans 8-)

Similar to calling a Haines Breeze the same as an Edencraft wouldn't it? :P;D;D;D

The value is there for them and if they get people on the water then it is a good choice.

Reel Blue
16-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I have 175 etec on HH 650 Classic. It would do 36 knots with a 17p prop but was only achieving low in the recommended rev range. Now with 15p prop achieves 34 knots but hole shot and acceleration much improved and revs spot on at 5700 rpm wot. A think a 200 hp would be overkill on a 585 and only gain you a little top end speed but no other advantage over a 150 or 175 etec. (Unless you go the big block 200 etec.) Have included photo of 650. Not the boat you are after but plenty of similarities.

gawby
16-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Dave,

Starting at $56,000- is a lot of money.
A few of us on here have the 555HG Yalta.
I have a 115 4/s yammy on mine but the others have different
motors i think.
I bought mine at Marine Tune at Burleigh Heads (no intended advertising for them
just quoting where i got it from.) on the 8/4/06.
I wil try and post the flyer for you to see what i got in the package.
I paid about $42,000- with extras such as 4/s over 2/s, s/s rocket launchers and a few other things.
With a 150hp motor it might just be what you are looking for.
I am sure you would save thousands of dollers but at the end of the day it is what you decide is best.
Make sure you choose what you want.
It took me a long time to decide between the Yalta and the Cruise craft.
I am very happy with my choice.
Graeme

charlieash
16-03-2008, 07:15 PM
oops entered twice read below

charlieash
16-03-2008, 07:16 PM
recently purchased a hh 650 classic and was tossing up between that and the 600r took the 600r for a water test and can honestly say that the 150 honda on it was plenty pulled around 46mph and enough punch to negotiate the pin bar so takeing that into account i rekon a 150 on a 585 would be right on it .if you dont want to stretch the buget stick with the 580 its still an awsome boat. dont want to get into a pissing comp about brands so will just say dont be lured by cheap wannabies . its precious time on the water enjoy it !!!8-) ;D

gawby
16-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Dave,

This is a copy of the flyer if it works.

Sorry but it is a bit hard to read.

charlieash
18-03-2008, 02:28 PM
How you end up

battleon
18-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Charlieash

Well I have received 2 quotes so far and without haggling they came in around the same mid 60k with various bells and whistles. One with the Evinrude and one with the Honda. I got different quotes for the different engine sizes varying from 150hp to 200hp and only a few grand each way. I still want to have a test run but am not in the position to do so as I'm working overseas and get back next week so shall try then.

The Haines 585R is the one its the perfect size for what I want and not too heavy so the car doesnt need an upgrade. Not really into the Yalta, Quintrex, Plate boats, Allison etc although the Allison is very nice also.

All I need to do now is sell mine and talk nicely to the missus although she is already impressed with the Haines.

Also what do you all think of the standard sounder and gps inclusions. They are both Lowrance but Im not sure which model yet. I shall find out.
Which models came with the 650 classic you bought and what sort of motor you running. Sounds a great package but a bit too expensive and heavy for me.

Cheers

charlieash
18-03-2008, 06:24 PM
battleon , didnt want any electronics factory fitted on mine as im a bit particular where they go . My gps is a lowrance 7200c with aus wide navionics gold card. sounder is furuno fcv 585. this is mounted so i can adjust it and see it all over the cockpit. the reason for this is when i doing a drift i can make sure im going over the right structure and fishing the right line. I ended up going with a 200 honda. it was a toss up with an etec. i have an etec on my tinnie i use for estuary fishing. The etec in the 200 big block an awsome motor for power and run at up to 4000rpm quite economical but if you open her up she can suck juice . And if ive got it ill use it . the small blocks 2.6 litres are right on it though. i have good mates that have both motors and when fishing with them have shared the fuel bill .Most of the lowrance sounders that come standard in haines hunters a single beams and im not up for that plus furuno are just good gear .cheers charlie

aw66au
02-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Look at a Commodore Marine Allrounder 570. www.commodoremarine.com (http://www.commodoremarine.com)

business class
02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi All

Just signed up as a new member and am after some advice. I am looking at a new boat & motor package and quite like the Haines 580 Breeze. I have been offered this with 135hp 4 stroke Honda. I know very little about the Hondas as have always had Suzuki or Yamahas.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I am from the Gold Coast area and fish outside at every possible opportunity. One of my good mates has the exact boat you are looking for and always fishes with us when we head out to the 50's and beyond, i have been out in it many times now. They are an awesome hull and have got us home everytime in some horrible conditions and this hull has done it with ease. And for the Honda's, they are a very good engine as most of the four strokes are these days and supply enough power to do everything you require. Good luck with your new rig and Happy fishing

Cheers
Matty

MarkDiver
02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks all for your replies so far, the boat will be used for 60% fishing 30% diving and 10% skiing so it needs to be a bit of an all rounder. I have a 18ft aluminium Shark Cat at present but is due for a bit of an update hence the new boat. I have looked at the 189 Allison for about the same price but not as impressed with it as the Haines, the Yalta is a little too long (7m overall) and Spaniard if I had of been on here when the boat was for sale I would have snapped it up. How did you find the 130hp Honda for power and how was the boat overall? Are there better deals out there I hav'nt found yet? How does the price of the 585R compare?

Thanks
Why would you turn down the extra length? More space for your diving gear and a smoother ride offshore..or am I missing something? Good luck anyway 8-)

kozy cobia
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi All

I would like to know what peoples thoughts are on the boat and whether I should change the motor to maybe 2 stroke Yamaha?

The cost with the Honda is $59,000 drive away and below is a photo of the boat.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks all

Dave

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/biggusstickus2007/RIMG10251.jpg
is it any cheaper with a yammy or suzuki 4 stroke?
If i were you shop around as suzuki have a 5 year warrinty and what was your last boat ? This will determine if you will be happy.;)

Regards Kozy

battleon
05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Well I finally got to take the 580 breeze for a run with the Honda 135 and I was not overly impressed. IMO the cat I have gives a better and quiter ride even though its alloy. Conditions were nice and choppy so good to really test it out. There was not a 585R there so didnt get to try it out however I did take a 600 classic for a run with a Honda 225. It was fantastic, beautiful quite ride and the boat handled perfectly. I couldnt believe the difference between the two it was quite amazing. So now are looking forward to seeing if the 585R comes up to its standard.

Mark I dont have the vehicle to tow a 7 metre boat or the room to store it undercover. I like the resale value of the Haines in case things ever go pearshape but hopefully its a boat I can keep for a long time.