PDA

View Full Version : Monduran Tips??????

OverNover
10-03-2008, 04:32 PM
G'day All,

I'm new on the scene so don't expect any respect.....yet!!!! Just wondering if anyone can offer up some tips on Monduran, have a trip planned over the Anzac Day long weekend with a group of work mates, it will be my 1st attempt on Barra so I need all the help I can get!!!!! Have upgraded my usual Bass gear so I think I've got the basics covered, just want some help on what lures / colours are working and any other info you wish to give up!!!!! Rest assured I'm not a fish killa, strickly C&R is my game, would love to get some photos of a quality Barra to add to my album. I've got the following: Predatek Vipers, Lively Lures Arafura Barra's, Gold Bombers, Classic Barra's and in the SP's I;ve got Squidgee Flick Baits & Shads and some Slick Rigs, any other ideas?????? Cheers, JD.

;D

steve99
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi OverNover,

If you cant catch a barra with that assortment of lures there's something wrong.

Dont forget to upgrade the hooks.

PS - I lived at Pacific Pines Once.

Steve99

shaneoo
10-03-2008, 04:56 PM
mate our last few trips where when the dan was at 18% now we have to learn ourselfs again as well. but we have found that just slow rolling the slick rigs around timber has wroked very well for us. Best os luck and hold on if u get hooked up, they go very hard
cheers shaneoo

eotbmg
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey mate welcome to the site
I will also be up there ANZAC day with 3/4 of SEQ population. I haven't been up there since Jan and before the deluge but i know Peter4 and Brian have just posted reports and they have done it tough. Hopefully by the time ANZAC day arrives it will be sweet as again. I like to look for points and tie up to trees, especially if there is any bait action on the sounder or on the surface. Give these areas a real flogging until you either bang one or two or are sure its a dud spot. Learn something from it and move on. Any lure is good if the barra are on the chew-look at the reports when they were firing -nearlly every type of lure caught fish. Just promise me you will upgrage your trebles and split rings. I use OWNERS exclusively cos they are the best. I always whinge when i buy them, but i always cheer when i land a barra on them.
See ya up there
Ben

OverNover
11-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Thanx Guys,

Looks like I'm on the right track, now down to just the Angler.........no pressure!!!

eotbmg & Steve99- Thanx for the advice on the trebles, kinda slipped my mind, will go and grab some Owners and quality rings, hate for something as simple as that to spoil the party. eotbmg, Cheers Mate, hope to see you there, I'll be the one with the ridiculous smile on my face should I get a quality Barra.

shaneoo - Will give the Slikies a go around the wood, Cheers.

Will let youse know how I go, Thanx again.

Big_Ren
11-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Gidday OverNover

It has been tough but lots can change between now and Anzac Day weekend. As Ben said, look for likely structure above and below water, have the confidence to flog a spot until you are satisfied the fish are not there, or not in chewing mode. Vary your retrieve speeds and depths until you crack a pattern. Try a series of searching casts in a methodical arc until you have covered all available water and then do it again. Use your sounder as your second set of eyes and don't be afraid to try new things. Don't give up, you'll succeed in the end.

Best of luck
Paul

OverNover
12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Gidday OverNover

It has been tough but lots can change between now and Anzac Day weekend. As Ben said, look for likely structure above and below water, have the confidence to flog a spot until you are satisfied the fish are not there, or not in chewing mode. Vary your retrieve speeds and depths until you crack a pattern. Try a series of searching casts in a methodical arc until you have covered all available water and then do it again. Use your sounder as your second set of eyes and don't be afraid to try new things. Don't give up, you'll succeed in the end.

Best of luck
Paul

Thanx Paul,

Sounds like it's going to be a busy weekend, think I'll head up to the sticks, find a good snag and hammer it then move on if no luck, sounds like the alley will be packed with guys towing, think I'll head up to the timber 1st thing and try and beat the crowds. Thanx for the tips.

eotbmg
12-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Over
I dont know your idea of first thing, but mine is to be settled into a spot and casting about 30-40 minutes before the sun has even thought about waking up. Flicking surface lures like bills bugs and frogs of course. Also a great time on the water, you will be able to tell where the bait has been holding with all the commotion on smooth pre dawn [hopefully no wind] surface.
Ben

chief 1
12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Go the slick rigs:o;D

OverNover
13-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Chief, Cheers Mate, I've got some Slickies in the box ready to go!!!

Ben - That's early!!!! But not as issue, don't know if I'll be up to that on the 1st trip, probably wait until I can see where I'm going, just my luck to do a prop or something worse!!!!! The surface fishing sounds like a blast, will get some frogs and fizzers just in case!!!! (The missus is gonna kill me)!!!!!!!

eotbmg
13-03-2008, 06:06 PM
i have tried a few and the range is extensive, but the bills bug and the bully frogs by river 2sea are good fun to try and learn the art of surface fishing

chief 1
13-03-2008, 08:23 PM
no worries OverNover,do you know the colours you have?

OverNover
14-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Got a bit of a family assortment, what colours do you recommend, any that you swear by?????

OverNover
14-03-2008, 02:24 PM
i have tried a few and the range is extensive, but the bills bug and the bully frogs by river 2sea are good fun to try and learn the art of surface fishing

Thanx Ben, got a couple of Bugs, I'll add the bully frogs to my ever increasing list!!! Cheers.::)

chief 1
14-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I have the Technicolour ones,but the white and red one with the black dot catches some big ones,in my magazine it has the Taylor brothers who use them and they catch them on any colour but they are pros with the slick rigs

OverNover
15-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanx Chief,

Yeah, those Taylor brothers are freaks!!!! :P Got some of the white "Drop Bear" slickies, will grab some "Technicolour Yawns" before I go, Cheers.

chief 1
15-03-2008, 12:23 PM
no worries,hope you catch some big fish

TinarooTriumph
15-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey O-N,

Some great tips already posted by some of the Monduran blokes. I don't know the Dam at all so can't give you any tips about spots etc, but can give you hints on how to go about getting your tackle up to scratch, getting your Boat in perfect order aswell as your 'Fishing Hat/Brain'. Upgrade all your Lure Hardware... Owners are the only ones I use... Im like a drug addict with these things, you can't stop me buying 2 or 3 packs a week. The Size '2' ST66's are the ones I use, and sometimes throw Size 1's on the front of my Hardbody Lure to get them to suspend. This helps alot when the Barra are in a doe mood and don't feel the absolute urge. By getting the Lure to suspend infront of their nose and then slowly inticing them into a strike is my favourite technique - Hardest of all though I believe. Upgrade Split Rings - Owner Hyperwires or Halco Fishrings - either one is good. I use the Size 5 Fishrings and they have done alright. Arafura Tackle make some good 80lb Rings that I use to use... also very good.

Make sure your Boat is in working order. Alot of anglers are sometimes too worried and caught up in buying Tackle etc, and when they Rock up to their destination they forgot to buy a new Battery or charge it etc... or they forgot the Landing net, Anchor etc. Make sure everyting is working, in their familiar spots and are easily accessed for when they are needed! But, the biggest thing is how you approach the fish on the Dam, and how well you use the time on the Lake. Break sessions up, and focus on whats working and whats not, and sometimes you can keep plugging away with things or you can change tactics to find the patterns. This can range from how you position your Boat, how and what Lure's you show them... basically anything. Short periods of time off the water are good theory sessions. Sometimes when your on the water, you are just to caught up in the moment a only thing you want to do is catch Barra and stay out there, when infact if your doing it tough its good to get back to land, throw down a 6 pack, chat with your mates and think things through.

Best of Luck. You seem very keen which is a good platform!

Theo

P.S - Get 1 or 2 Tropic Angler TA Floaters in Gold... just do it!

OverNover
16-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanx Theo for all the advice, in fact Thanx to everyone, stoked with the response, sucking it all in like a sponge!!!!! Have spent big $$$ getting my little tinny up to scratch, new deep cycle battery, multi stage charger, rod holders, new mounting for the electric, replaced the bungs, new pumps etc, etc, even got a lick of paint and new stickers, only to work out I'll be fishing with a mate in his much flasher rig anyway!!!!!! Ahh well, will still be taking mine for some of the other boys who don't have a boat to use, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.....Have already upgraded most of my lures to the Owner ST-66's after the previous posts, just finished reading interesting article from David Green on trolling impoundments and another one by Phil Atkinson re a recent visit to Monduran, glad I read that one, most of the lures I have are deep divers, sounds like shallow runners are the go, at least they worked for him, be good to know if Phil's trip was before or after all the rain, as if it was before, the 2-3m deep patches of sunken timber he talks about could now be 8-10m under now!!!!! Ahh well, just have to get a mixed bag and see what works on the day I guess, Cheers, Jamie.;D

chief 1
16-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Hopefully you catch the big ones