PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start

Reg
10-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I have a Brown band 115hp Mercury which has always been a "bitch" to start.A friend of mine suggested I use a product called crc aerostart.Has anyone used this before, does it work,does it do any damage is it safe?

BM
10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Similar to the product "start ya bastard" which is an aerosole alcohol spray. OK in small doses but bear in mind spraying that in the intake means as its passing the crank and bearings etc on its way through to the upper cylinder it has no lubricating properties.

Now, to the real problem, startingt he engine. Applying bandaid fixes is definitely not the answer. Resolving the REAL issue is the proper fix.

Please detail your starting method, or state if it differs from this.

1) Raise warm up lever to say 80% of travel

2) Turn key to on position and push and hold key in for 10 seconds

3) Release key from pushed in position and crank engine

It should fire almost immediately and then will likely die out. If so, then repeat above steps. If it stays running then work your idle speed by lowering and raising the warm up lever. Don't want it screaming its tits off when its stone cold or you better send the decky to catch the pistons as they shoot out the block!!

How does your procedure compare to that?? Most hard starting issues are operator problems and not engine problems.

Cheers

Reg
10-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks BM Our starting procedures are identical.The history of the motor has established that it was always difficult to start.It has always been serviced regularly and on its last service the mechanic advised that the reeds were a little worn but could not justify the cost in replacing them. Regards Reg

littlejim
10-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Reg,

might have nothing to do with your situation, but when I first got mine it used to start easily compared to now. The pump bulb always stayed rock hard.
now the bulb goes soft over time. Before a start I pump it up but it takes a while to get the fuel into the donk. Same at sea. Quick start when only a short time since the last start; bit longer, plus a prime, if I haven't used it for a while.

All the fuel hose and the bulb have been replaced since I got it, but obviously there is a small air leak now that wasn't there in the original setup.

Roughasguts
10-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Okay BM is right push key in that closes the choke.
But does it ! have you checked to see if it is working???

No two stroke will start nicely without choke when she's cold.

It's an easy test push the key in and if you hear a click from the solenoid then it's working provided the linkages are all still conected. I have seen them come out.

BM
10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Rags,

that engine wont have a choke, it will have an "enrichener". So theres no butterflies to snap shut. The enrichener dumps the contents of one carby float bowl in to the crankcase.

Cheers

Roughasguts
10-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Thank's BM Jeeeeesus all that fuel maybe that's why she don't start she's flooded.