PDA

View Full Version : Peacok Bass

Tetsuo
09-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi guys,

I am heading over to Oahu (hawaii) in about a month to chase some peacock bass and a few other species. I am taking my own reels and using the rods provided ( unless I buy something over there).

My question is: Has anyone done this sort of fishing and what can I expect? What size line? Should I bother taking some of my own lures?

Basically any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Luke mcleod
09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
From what i have seen in video's you should take a lot of fizzers that are atleast 15 cm. Big poppers would probably work to but every person ive seen in video's going for the big peackock's are using massive fizzers

bdowdy
10-03-2008, 12:02 PM
all i can say is ANY ROOM IN YOUR LUGGAGE ..lol..lol have agreat trip and take heaps of piccys, im off to fiji shortly and usually take all my own lures and rods as theres nothing there , id say they will have tackle shops over were you are going but. cheers bdowdy...brett

Tetsuo
10-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Fiji sounds good! I had an option to go bonefishing on the flats in hawaii as well but I've never even held a fly rod. One day. I would have liked to do a lot more fishing while I'm over there but it wouldn't be fair on the wife. Oh well

bdowdy
10-03-2008, 02:09 PM
should give the bones a go ,,, they go off , and flyfishing its easy , im self taught and as for the wife do as i do and drag her along, doesnt take them long and they also get hooked. have agood one any how. cheers bdowdy..brett

Tetsuo
10-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I'll try and convince her;D

NOjacks
11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
hell yeh can i come to ive got ive peacock bass in a big aquarium theyre the fastest fish ive ever kept you need a raincoat to feed the bloody things they splash water every where having one on a line would be awsome get heaps of pics

NOjacks

tailorboi99
11-03-2008, 07:20 PM
A raincoat??? How big are they??

Cheers Tom

Tetsuo
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Search you tube for some videos. Huge surface strikes and arial fun!

NOjacks
14-03-2008, 04:29 PM
ive got 5 of them all around 25cm they should grow to about 50-60cm in a tank was hopeing to breed them looks like ive got 3 males 2 females ill now for sure in another 12months or so they are big eaters i use 3 packets of whitebait a week and thats on rations theyed happily eat a packet a night

Tetsuo
14-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Can we stock someones dam with them????????? Do they need heating through winter? They are actually a Cichlid not a bass but who's counting.

Film a feeding session and post it!

Luc
14-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Peacock bass is another name for oscars.

No I would not like to see them in our dams.

Luc

Tetsuo
15-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Luc, sorry mate but they are not even close to an oscar. Both in the cichlid family but that is about all. Oscars grow to a few pounds whilst peacocks grow to 20+. If they where released into an impoundment they would hammer everything save barra.

I'm talking about a small farm dam anyway

Luc
16-03-2008, 07:00 PM
I had abook about oscars and in it they were also referred to as peacock bass.

In any case, as they're a non native they should not be released in any water even a small farm dam. Given enough rain, adults and/or youngs could find their way into a river system.

Luc

Scott nthQld
16-03-2008, 09:03 PM
just found this site, it refers to the fish in the amazon region but i am assuming they are the same thing?

http://www.peacockbassonline.com/reels_rods_line.html

There's a bit of a guide there on what sort of gear you should take along, and looking at the site more, it reveals some techniques when casting lures and what lures may work best.

they are cihclids, just like tilapia (same family anyway), and have the same beeding characteristics, mouth brooders, territorial over grounds and they get much bigger, they would decimate our natives if they ever got over here....no thanks!

Tetsuo
18-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks Luc, I agree they shouldn't be introduced. I was just dreaming!

aussiebasser
18-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Fot those interested, there are some videos here. I'm planning a trip to Venezuala next year to chase these guys.
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,442.0.html

Tetsuo
19-03-2008, 10:11 AM
In Oahu they don't get much bigger than 8lb, as opposed to 20+ in the amazons. But I'll take what I can get

NOjacks
25-03-2008, 06:21 AM
peacockbass are totaly diferent species to oscars the fish i have are genis chichla monoculus. there are 8 diferent types, monoculas being the most comon in oz aquariums. unlike oscars they grow large about the size of a wild barra and would totally decimate local streams if released to the wild

Chuong
27-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Pretty sure they aren't mouth brooders.

Cammy
28-03-2008, 04:22 PM
yes i think they lay eggs on flat surfaces.

Cammo