PDA

View Full Version : cut down transom on quintrex explorer ?

Frosty 63
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Just wondering if any one has had to do this to their boat,as Ihave bought a new short shaft motor as recomended by quintrex but have found the anti cav plate is about 55mm above the bottom of the hull. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. thanks all.

Kleyny
08-03-2008, 10:05 PM
what size boat have you got?
i would be in two minds making the transom smaller, most people make them taller to avoid things like waves coming over the back.
I would explore making the motor into a long leg, i think some models you can do this by adding a spacer and a new shaft.

neil

ps. you could always go pod

SunnyCoastMark
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Go back to the dealer you purchased your new motor from - take your boat (which you really should have done initially) and ask them what your options are.

They may be able to exchange it.

Mark

Frosty 63
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
my boat is a 385 explorer. the honda dealer actually fitted the motor.

SunnyCoastMark
12-03-2008, 11:03 AM
my boat is a 385 explorer. the honda dealer actually fitted the motor.

In that case - definitely take it back to the dealer - he should not have fitted that motor to your boat without advising you that you needed a longer leg.

Mark

UNCLE NUGGY
12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Frosty 63

I agree with Mark take it back & start asking questions
the 385 explorer has an option of s/s or l/s transom hgts in the build maybe you have a l/s transom on the boat.

cheers
UN

Noelm
12-03-2008, 12:17 PM
55mm is not too much, if it is that close then it will be the correct length Motor, as a long shaft Transom will be about 125MM longer I have the same Boat and my motor is lifted up to about that height to get best performance, maybe go see the Dealer to make sure you cn take it for a spin to make sure it is OK! and if not, then can he/they fix the problem for you.

FNQCairns
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
In that case - definitely take it back to the dealer - he should not have fitted that motor to your boat without advising you that you needed a longer leg.

Mark

WOW! Mark is totally right, I cannot believe what I am reading about this dealer, it boggles the mind they could be so deceitful, a person has gotta believe they are making money hand over fist to be so inept!!

cheers fnq

SunnyCoastMark
12-03-2008, 12:48 PM
55mm is not too much, if it is that close then it will be the correct length Motor, as a long shaft Transom will be about 125MM longer I have the same Boat and my motor is lifted up to about that height to get best performance, maybe go see the Dealer to make sure you cn take it for a spin to make sure it is OK! and if not, then can he/they fix the problem for you.

uuummmm ............My Cav Plate on my 15'Quinnie with 50hp Johnno is about 10mm above the bottom of my hull and if I trim it up to much - she will cavitate. I should drop the motor a bit more (but have too much other stuff to do::) ).

So I hate to disagree with you Noel, but I think 55mm (over 2 inches) is a bit too much. Understand what you are saying about the next size longer though. It would be unusual for a standard length leg not to fit a production hull (be it quintrex or any other):-/

Frosty, has your transom been modified in any way? Or - is the motor right down on the transom?

Mark

gofishin
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
... the anti cav plate is about 55mm above the bottom of the hull. ...

Frosty, do you mean above the bottom of the keel, or above the bottom of the hull (i.e. the projected intersection of the bottom sheets)? There is a big difference. Measure your transom.

The external keel on that size tinnywould be about 50 - 55mm, hence i'm guessing it is the correct height motor. If a S/S motor was put on a L/S transom it should be considerably more than 55mm above the bottom of the boat (not the keel). As Noelm has said, the 'nominal' difference between a S/S & L/S transom is 5" or 125mm

If my guess is wrong then something is wrong with the boat AND with the dealer>:( .
cheers

Noelm
12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
that was what I was getting at, if it is from the bottom of the extruded keel, it SHOULD be OK, and a long shaft is indeed 5' longer and will be a lot bigger difference, has the Boat been used at all yet?? and if so, did it got OK?? if not, then at least a phone call to the dealer to see what his thoughts are will be an option.