PDA

View Full Version : carpet

whiting-wizard
08-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello

I'm only 14 and I'm looking for some carpet and some ply wood to build a casting deck when i get my boat soon.

i went down to the local bunnings but the cost of marine ply hit me like a slap in the face. So i was wondering if anyone had some spare that i could buy.

also looking for some cheap lifejackets

griz066
08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
the auto store that is super cheap has pfd1 in catologue for $19 they are about $12-$15 at bcf & bias boating etc

dnej
08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Structural ply,from the hardware.has the similar glue as marine ply.Comes in a lot of different thickness.
Very very much cheaper than marine ply,and will do the job you want to do.Marine ply,has a better smooth finish.
David

Blackened
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
G'day

Structural ply is all that you will need, usually around 12mm. May be worth a pm to marlin mike as i believe he's in the game.

Don't skimp on marine carpet or you will be replacing it soon enough.

Dave

TheRealAndy
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Current bias catalogue has pfd1's for 12.95.

I have used form ply before, tip is to make sure you paint the ends real well! By the time the stuff rots (I got ten years last time) you will earning enough cash to replace it with marine ply!

BM
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the marine world Wizard!!!! Its expensive because its a luxury industry... :) and its also the most corrosive environment......

However, a smart operator can work his way to some degree around some expensive bits.

For starters you don't shop at Bunnings unless you want to pay top dollar. Sure the catalog items will be cheap "loss leaders" but the rest of the products aren't.

Find a trim supplier (usually an auto trim supplier will carry marine stock) in your neck of the woods and they will stock canvas, vinyl, canopy fabrics, marine carpets etc etc. You will pick up marine carpet via these sources for about $30 per lineal meter (usually a 2mtr wide roll).

Ply as mentioned is "structural" or "case" or "cd grade". These all mean the same thing. Marine ply is expensive and not necessary for your application. CD ply will be fine. They both contain the same glue. Either go to bunnings (ouch) for what you need or find a plyboard distributor in your area and they will be much cheaper.

Get the Bunnings is cheap idea out of your head. And dont ever think about buying fibreglass repair kits etc from Bunnings.......

Cheers