PDA

View Full Version : building your own boat

crowser
07-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Heyy guys,

Just wondering, have any of you'ze thought of building your own boat?
Or has anyone built their own boat.
if you have, please put pictures up..

cheers

oldboot
07-03-2008, 11:02 PM
I havn't yet, but as soon as I get a couple of jobs out the way, a quick little canoe will appear in oldboot land.

This boat building thing is getting to plague proportions among the blokes I hang arround with.

there are heaps of places that will do very good plans

check out michael storer's site..... an ausie guy that does some very nice plans.

check out the wooden boat section of woodworkforums.com

best bet is to start with something small and easy so you can get the methods down and get a taste for it....... believe me it is adictive.
Some of the simple designs arround are very quick and easy to build and perform an awfull lot better than you think.

best thing to starts with is a basic pirogue (rude canoe) or one of the small dingys.

check out the "puddle duck racer" which is an enrty level sailer, but you can row or outboard it.

I know the guys behind the australian version (which is very much leaner than the US)...

this little sucker looks like a box, but goes like the clappers under sail.....They recon you can get one on the water for about $300.

Ther is a bloke on both ausbass ( the bass site) and woodwork forums who is on about his tenth boat.... all canoes of kayaks... hairymick... is what he goes under.

check out his posts

It doesnt matter what size or type of boat you want, someone will have a decent properly developed plan they can sell you.

Hartley, who have been selling boat plans since the 30's, are still in business.
Hartley, has had cult status for decades, his trailer sailers, it what coined the phrase.

Go do it man.... evrybody I know who has built a boat, got so much satisfaction from it.

Juts don't bite of more than you can chew.

A mate of mine I was at college with, too over 20 years to finish his catamaran & he baught it as an unfinished project...... its a big boat though.... sailing catamaran big enough to have two diesels down below.
It still keeps him poor, but he loves hi boat.

Just looking at the plands and deciding what to build is funnin its self.

Google the word pirogue...... thats a place to start.

cheers

TJ Bear
08-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I built my own boat its a 16ft centre console. By the way its for sale in the Boats For Sale section as I am building a new 24ft diesel sharft drive centre console.

MyEscape
08-03-2008, 10:34 AM
TJ

That's a very nice looking centre console. Very nice in deed

Steve

mungindi
08-03-2008, 06:22 PM
G/Day Crowser,
Mate I'm in the process of building my own boat at the moment it's 22ft long centre console based on the Island long boat concept beam of 7'3" 190lt fuel tank, a sealed self draining deck going to be pushed along by a 140 hp Suzuki. It's a composite build using Biaxial fabric and epoxy. I had a naval Architect from the coast design it for me. It has been designed to be built to comply with the Australian build standards for commercial fishing boats over 6mts AS4132 parts1&3,so it's going to be a really solid bit of gear. Hopefully the photos will come out
Gary

chief 1
08-03-2008, 06:24 PM
My friend made his own boat out of wood with a fibreglass bottom,not a massive boat but it's good for a few people

oldboot
08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
If you want to see a nice "home made boat" check out "the palownia experiment ' thread on woodworkforums.
What a gold coast chippie does in his spare time.

cheers

crowser
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
G/Day Crowser,
Mate I'm in the process of building my own boat at the moment it's 22ft long centre console based on the Island long boat concept beam of 7'3" 190lt fuel tank, a sealed self draining deck going to be pushed along by a 140 hp Suzuki. It's a composite build using Biaxial fabric and epoxy. I had a naval Architect from the coast design it for me. It has been designed to be built to comply with the Australian build standards for commercial fishing boats over 6mts AS4132 parts1&3,so it's going to be a really solid bit of gear. Hopefully the photos will come out
Gary

Hey mate,

Just wondering, what was the name of that designer?

cheers,
crowser

TonyM
09-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey mate,

Just wondering, what was the name of that designer?

cheers,
crowser

My guess would be Brett Murrie, Naval Architect and Marine Consultant, Gold Coast.

His details were on the corner of the pic of the boat ;) ;D

dogsbody
09-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Check out Lewy's boat. It's way cool.
www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=113942

Dave.

mungindi
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
G/Day Crowser
Yeah TonyM is right it's a Brett Murrie design,he is now putting my boat the 22ft one out as a kit. As well as a 19ft version of the same boat in a kit still designed to be built to the same build specs just a smaller version than mine. There is another 22ft model being built in the U.S.A which is good to see. We have some really good boat designers and and custom builders in Australia who are worth looking at and talking to if you are interested in building a boat to your'e own design,or having one built for you.
Gary

Lewy
09-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Just a couple of tips.

The two biggest hurdles I had to over come were Insurance and the Australian Builders plate.

If you are building over 6 m then I think you'll find you don't need a Builders plate.
But with insurance you're going to need a marine surveyors report.

The rests easy.

Lewy

snelly1971
09-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I was thinking of purchasing the moulds of my 28 foot trihull and having a 35 footer built one day....Only problem would be finding the right person to lay the boat up for me

Mick

oldboot
09-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Speaking of pawlownia experiments, thats yours isnt it lewy.
Your avitar is a give away.

Just checked the link in your post... yep definitely.
Thats a serious boat......

cheers

moater
10-03-2008, 01:43 AM
If I ever get my boat finished -- before I die,then I'd like to have a go at building a small dinghy to sneak around the local waterways-something under 12ft,plenty of beam and just maybe a pontoon type boat.Maybe outta glassed over wood but most likely a mix of 'glass and alloy or just aluminium.

Here are some yank sites that are good for a bit of inspiration...http://boatdesigns.com , http://www.glen-l.com , www.metalboatkits.com (http://www.metalboatkits.com) , www.metalboatsociety.org , http://newboatbuilders.com , http://custompontoonboatkitsetc.com

I've looked at these for ideas and when you delve a bit there's some really good info.

Darren

cbs
11-03-2008, 06:30 AM
I built a 25 footer a few years back. It wasn't a fishing boat, so i won't post pics here though, but was built from the ground up in foam sandwich without the use of moulds unless we made them ourselves.

I can say that it is extremely satisfying to see your own hard work slide into the water for the first time (and float like it should).

I recommend to anyone contemplating it, to just do it. You won't regret it.

suzygs1000
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Crowser,

I don't really know what you have in mind.

I have built two aluminium kit boats.

It's not hard for the home handyman, and is very satisfying, besides saving heaps of hardearned.

Insurance is a problem. Neither of mine have been insured.

There are a number of firms in Australia selling complete kits including all the aluminium plate and extrusions, and they are precut. You just weld them together, no jigs usually, either.

Kits range from 4 metres up to you name it.

Cost for a 6 metre kit is around $10k, and consumables will be another grand.

Dave.