PDA

View Full Version : Best eating fish

cameron walker
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Alright the poll to end friendships over...... I just cooked up the last packet of a coral trout 7kg from murphys and some fingermark from Arakun. My kids both choose the fingermark and with disapointment so did I.For arguments sake it was skinned filleted and pan fried with salt and pepper.I have previously baked this trout and it was the best fish I have eaten and i am not neglected ....... 8-) SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

jtpython
07-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Two champion types of fish mate but i'll have to keep to bbq trout with salt and pepper and freash lemon. But i'll love any of it
JT

Wahoo
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Alright the poll to end friendships over...... I just cooked up the last packet of a coral trout 7kg from murphys and some fingermark from Arakun. My kids both choose the fingermark and with disapointment so did I.For arguments sake it was skinned filleted and pan fried with salt and pepper.I have previously baked this trout and it was the best fish I have eaten and i am not neglected ....... 8-) SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

G'day Cameron, now this is MHO, C/trout is way over rated, no matter how its cooked, i have given away C/trout over the spanish, for the last 12months i cant seem to get enough Mai Mai, soooo good :D

Daz

liltuffy
07-03-2008, 08:27 PM
You are going to start a fight here with some members, I can see it coming.

I've never eaten fingermark so can't really comment, and sorry wahoo I'd give away any spanish in lieu of a trout every time, guess that's why we are all different.

I'll go the trout

Craig

disorderly
07-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Barramundi cod ....mmmm...delicious.

Reel Magic
07-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Red Emperor - oh yeah baby!! Bring on May, offshore Bundy..

Cammy
07-03-2008, 08:49 PM
weel since im in the estuuaries i will go flattys!

Cammo

steve99
07-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Barramundi cod ....mmmm...delicious.

I had a barramundi cod in my aquarium.

Never thought about eating it.

Steve99

oldboot
07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
well one hopes you dodn't think about eating it, baramundi cod are suposed to be totlay protected.... as far as I remember.

any way

You have to go a long way, to get a better piece of fish that a properly cooked fresh couple of fillets of decent whiting.

But as with anything fresh is best.

cheers

sleepygreg
07-03-2008, 11:12 PM
black drummer (pig, rock blackfish are other names for it) will get me every time, bled, skinned and pan fried in flour......still my favourite eating fish....though i dont get em anymore since i moved to qld. Will have to settle for Pearlies and Dollies.

Greg

seatime
07-03-2008, 11:15 PM
the best I've cooked myself - summer whiting.

the best I've had cooked for me - orange roughy.

cheers

Nicko
08-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I cooked a wonderful snapper which i picked up from around coochi not long ago, that was baked to perfection...

Today I baked a white snapper but unfortuanntly I cooked it for too long so the flesh became a bit tough but you know... I'm a sorta unfussy man who was hungry as f**k so it didn't really bother me that much... But next time i'll definitely make sure i cook it for the minimium possible time.

cameron walker
08-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I caught a 5kg trout off double island pt that wasnt so great on the chew , but the 7kg model from murphys was so tastee. Maybe it had a better diet? . Fingermark are even tastier than jack ,one species that is underrated is salmon.We caught a big one up the cape so i battered it and it was like eating battered mash potato ,probably the best battered piece of fish i have eaten.Havent tried spanish YET but if its better than spotties, cant wait.Oh well think i will eat the rest of my trout and fingermark for breaky.cheers all

major-defect
08-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi Cameron next time your baking a coral trout try stuffing it with slices of mango and put some around it too then wrap em up,one of the best ideas I've ever had.The mango really complements the fish.Despite living in NQ I still can't go past fresh winter whiting fillets,been a while since I had any though.

bundymal
08-03-2008, 07:01 AM
the best eating fish i had has to be blue eye cod . Used to get these drop lining at the shelf.

Dezzer
08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm with Disorderly, Barramundi Cod. Ahhh memories.
Gold spot cod's up there to.

Houndslair
08-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Fingermark is the best. The cooking is the secret to all fish. Very hot pan or grill and lightly seasoned. Lemon and dill is great.

disorderly
08-03-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm with Disorderly, Barramundi Cod. Ahhh memories.
Gold spot cod's up there to.

They are good tucker alright.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif
These days,though,they get the kiss and release treatment from me.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/kiss.gif
As for those who believe coral trout is overated....well it's a delicate flesh and care is needed when cooking but when done right it should just about melt in your mouth....mmmm... yummm
Of the other commonly caught fish,a piece of battered Spanish mac is right up there with the best.

Scott

Vindicator
08-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I reckon you gotta go a long way to beat parrot. I just cooked some up last night that was in the freezer and it was still as good as the day I caught it.

Cheers
Kezza

OISTA
08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I reckon you cant go past a bit of really fresh tailor, straight from the water to the fire:)

cameron walker
08-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Cameron next time your baking a coral trout try stuffing it with slices of mango and put some around it too then wrap em up,one of the best ideas I've ever had.The mango really complements the fish.Despite living in NQ I still can't go past fresh winter whiting fillets,been a while since I had any though.
Yeah sounds good ,actually i stuffed the head and shoulders of this trout with lemon murtyle WOW that is an ingredient made for fish.;D

Shagga
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Very hard to go past Whitting.

Nic
08-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Spaniard is great in a curry or marinara, as it holds its shape really well, but I wouldn't dream of eating it 'neat' when there's fingermark and nannies in the freezer! I guess we're all divided as to whether we like stronger flavoured flesh or a sweeter, more delicate flavoured fish.

seamaid
08-03-2008, 10:08 AM
;D
Pearl Perch simmered in milk, cast in shallots , parsley, chop up tomatoes, soon as the flesh goes white, serve up, yummie.
Coral Trout goes well same way.
Go small on ingredients
Getting hungry see yar
Cheers Ged.

Horse
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Pearlies are number one for me. I also rate Coral Trout and Parrot/Tuskies, Flathead and Whiting right up there. It been so long since I have eaten Red Emperor that its a bit vauge but I liked it at the time

tunaticer
08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Most succulent and flavoursome fish I have eaten is Scorpion Rock Cod, favorite fish to eat is whiting.
Both are right up there with dolphin burgers too heheh.

Jack.

polky
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
My best is red throat sweetlip, then whiting. Coral trout are excellent if cooked correctly. Polky.

fish-n-dive
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Whiting, dusted and a bit of salt or anything else raw!!!!:o

cdg81
08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
i agree with disordely, barra cod are are at the top, maroi wrase are splendid as well, while were on protected speices, best ive eaten was a chinaman about 4 or 5 kilo, it was out of this world. as far as fish you can keep, trout or a fresh slab of spanish for me, would put a horn on a jelly fish. i got some nice grunter at lucinda last year they were pretty good for a creek fish.

for those who have fished real wide, and have caught a japanese sea bream, they are up there with chinaman. they look like a real big iodine bream, but are wickid on the plate.

cdg81
08-03-2008, 07:59 PM
hey fish n dive, you like raw, next trout you drag over the rail, fillet it ice it down, then slice it like susshimi, squeze a lime over it, and enjoy. the cheeks are the best but needs to be a good fish.

give it a go, it will impress.

Wahoo
08-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Spaniard is great in a curry or marinara, as it holds its shape really well, but I wouldn't dream of eating it 'neat' when there's fingermark and nannies in the freezer! I guess we're all divided as to whether we like stronger flavoured flesh or a sweeter, more delicate flavoured fish.

Hi Nic, you are right, the best fish for me is the ones with a stronger flavor, to me the spanish, hoo, mia, is better eating than trout, my wife was kind enough to go out and get me a few slabs of swordfish today, thats just my liking

Daz

toolman2810
09-03-2008, 01:24 AM
mmmm squid, Tiger prawns, bugs, abolone, flounder, whiting, flathead, mud crabs, crayfish, flake. I havn't eaten baramundi, snapper , coral trout. Etc
But I think the only definitive result we are going to get is when you invite us to an all you can eat buffet

major-defect
09-03-2008, 06:51 AM
There is a take away at Tinaroo tourist park that does barramundi spring rolls now they are nice.

whatscracken
09-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Red Emperor and Pearlies

bam424
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Threadfin are tops from the ocean along with mahi mahi and barra cooked in butter. Smanish and tuna smoked rate highly. Flathead also rate.:P

fish_on
09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
pearl perch, snapper, jacks, sw barra

seapup
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Pearl Perch are unbeatable! Nothing beats a good Pearly. Melts in ya mouth everytime...

hungry6
09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Barramundi cod for me also, when they were still on the menu..
Followed closely by coral trout which equals red emp.
I find steamed coral trout is very hard to beat especially they are fresh and wholed.

cqfreshie
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
If you like fish in general, it's pretty hard to pick the best. i mean .... all fish have different flavour, and even the same species taste different at times.

Any fish that needs all the additives out of the pantry has got to be lacking.

Best on the plate ? ...... coral trout is up there in my view, but then so is the humble whiting ... and those pesky moses perch.

Cooked correctly, golden perch is great ... as is eel tail catties.

The most over rated? .... barra.

Cheers

SLB
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
yeah i go through stages and get cravings for certan fish but right now mangrove jack is on the table every week and i'm loving it.

mbt
11-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Cooked up a feed for some mates, red emperor, Trout and pearlies, all caught that day…..the mates where all rabbitting on how they like this one better then that one……until they ate it and was asked what was what….they had no idea, who cares there all top fish as is jack and fingermark .

conquest
11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
can't beat venus tusk fish ,or a small fresh mako.

aqua rat
11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Catfish from a billabong !!! arhhh
love it !

aqua rat
11-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Catfish from a billabong !!! arhhh
Love it !!

Ricardo
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Red Throat Sweet lip fantastic feed, Snapper, Bara and love whiting but just to much mucking around to fillet and bone the buggers :-/

tidemaster
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Best chewin that I caught and cooked............ Fingermark
Best from a restaurant ................ Swordfish

preso
11-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Anything somene else cleans.

dogsbody
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Fresh caught and crumbed Gar mmmm tasty better than Whiting IMO. Also i caught my first nanni on the swains last year and that was good on the tooth as well.

Dave.

youngy
11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Anybody that knows me knows i am going to say Whiting have not eaten much reef fish, but here is one that has not had a mention Tarwhine very underated, fresh caught and cooked on beach they are fantastic. cheers Wayne.

Ausie Dave
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Come on you blokes, just admit it, the West Aust Dhuie is the best eating fish that can be caught off the shores of our great island. & at $70 to $75 a kg at the moment that kind of supports it's quality.

Regards Aussie Dave.