PDA

View Full Version : Fishing artwork

Red Bull
07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
G'day Ausfishers,

Thought you might be interested in a couple of paintings I have done recently. The original marlin painting, which I've titled "Grand Day Out", is around 60cm x 40cm, and is still undergoing some final touches.::)

The commemorative wahoo profile painting is around 75cm x 25cm.

In my opinion, a painting is a pretty cool way to commemorate a fine capture while still being able to practice C&R. Obviously, a painting is able to be easily customized to a certain fishing scene or event. Anyhow, it's just a thought for you to ponder.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on costs.

Thanks
Red Bull (aka Angus)

Shagga
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Look good Red Bull.

Little grey men
07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Beautiful artwork there Redbull. Do you use an airbrush to get those awesome gradients ? or are you just an absolute genius with a brush ?

Pistol_P
07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Hey Bull,

Mate great work.

Pete

bdowdy
07-03-2008, 06:18 PM
great stuff guys we dont see this stuff enough, if i did id buy some..cheers bdowdy.. love the gt chasing the popper

Poseidon
07-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Some great talent on display that's for sure. You should be very proud of your work.

Cammy
07-03-2008, 08:17 PM
awsome stuff tehre mate! i like the marlin jumping, and the bream.

Cammo

Wahoo
07-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Angus and Pete, some nice work there, love it

would you be keen to draw a pic for a tattoo?

Daz

Pistol_P
07-03-2008, 08:43 PM
ooopps sorry boys...

Angus is the artist no me....;D .....I couldnt draw to save myself.

Pete

imnotoriginal
07-03-2008, 09:31 PM
They're great Pete, I love the bream and the gt.
Joel

Keechie
07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
How could you not love that bream and gt if i had mroe money i would have a loook around for a few for my room.

regards,
keechie

BrewGuru
07-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Red bull love the art work, could you throw my boat in the background instead of that plastic boat

Scalem
08-03-2008, 07:34 AM
They are all fantastic! More so because you can tell a fisho painted them, capturing that moment freeze framed in our memory - or in my case my imagination when it comes to catching a Marlin.

Beautiful!

Scalem

Red Bull
08-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Red bull love the art work, could you throw my boat in the background instead of that plastic boat

G'day BrewGuru, yeah I could certainly do a painting with your boat in the background, providing you had a few reasonable photos of your boat from various angles to use as reference.

Pistol Pete, thanks for the comprehensive thread hijacking mate! ;) I did track down Jamie's work on sportfish extreme after our emails the other day, and was very impressed with his work. He pumps out a fair number of them, no doubt! However, this thread is supposed to be about my work. :P

Scalem, I agree, artists probably can't appreciate the movement and feeling of their fishy subjects unless they have actually been out on/in the water and experienced it first hand. Having been fishing and on the water since I was tiny tot, I like to think I can relate to it. But the best thing is, no two days are exactly the same, so there is an infinite number of subjects to focus on. :)

Wahoo, I'd be interested in doing something for a tattoo, PM me if you have any further thoughts on the subject.

Little Grey man, yeah I use a combination of airbrush as well as watercolour paints and regular brush to do the paintings. In the marlin piece, for example, the white spray thrown up by the jumping marlin was created mostly with a fine brush and watercolours, then filled out with the airbrush. The smooth gradients, like on the sides of the fish, I find, are best done with the airbrush.

Thanks all for your comments lads.

Cheers
RB

PS I also do pencil artworks in either colour or greyscale to commemorate special captures, such as the tailor below.

Pistol_P
08-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Sorry Bull.....I had no intentions of thread hijacking.

Should have sent them to you via email...apologies.

Thought you would like to see them for some ideas on new paintings.

Anyway,you obviously do great work and if someone wants a GT painting like the one above I am sure you could do the same.

Pete

Red Bull
08-03-2008, 01:53 PM
no probs Pete.....I agree that Jamie's work is damn good, and certainly worth seeing for artists and fisho's alike. :)

Cheers
Angus

RayDeR
08-03-2008, 02:30 PM
G'day Red Bull!

I love your artwork. It is absolutely lifelike.

I thought the tailor looked a bit sad and down in the mouth about being caught. Then I realised why. is is a Greenie! ;)

Ray De R

ffejsmada
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Angus, top job on the Tailor!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like it, it's a cracker, good job!

Jeff.

Red Bull
09-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the kind words Ray and Jeff.

For those who prefer a more old fashioned approach, I have also done a few black and white pencil sketches that have an important place in what I do. See below for a snapper illustration which now resides on the wall of a mates place.

Cheers fellas
Angus

snipe
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Ginger Bull, that snapper looks familiar ;)

Glad my opinions of your work are shared by the others on here....

I better go catch myself something worthy of commemorating, perhaps a dirty big hen rainbow at the snowies this easter ;D

Red Bull
10-03-2008, 10:25 AM
G'day Bob/snipe, how's things mate? Yep, the snapper takes pride of place on your bro's wall.

Thanks for your complimentary remarks, judging by the photos I've seen, I don't think you have any probs catching fish worthy of commemorating......you've knocked over some pretty big barra, jacks, spaniards, trevs, jewies, lizards, reds, tailor etc haven't you?

Oh, and I don't just do 'large' species either.......as the jungle perch below shows.;)

Cheers
Angus

snipe
10-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Bull - plenty more improvement to be done in all finny pursuits. See you soon

Red Bull
12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
G'day people,

I forgot to add the following example of work, which was a painting for the cover of a sportfishing liftout in the January 2008 issue of Fishing World mag. It shows the changes can sometimes be made by the publishers, from finished artwork to publication ;)

Cheers
RB

Little grey men
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Made for a striking looking cover...well done on that one.
We seem to share common interests. I'm working on a painting now of a saratoga. Although I'm spending more time goofing around building a new easel, than actually painting..my last easel was about a thousand years old and fell to bits.
You've inspired me to get stuck into it...thanks mate.