PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 wheels on boat trailer ?

grumpy221
07-03-2008, 11:51 AM
hi has anyone got 4x4 (31') wheels on their boat trailer? I have to get new mudguards for my trailer and was thinking of putting my surplus ally rims on but need to get an idea of the size for the guards. Samins will bend any thing I need but to get the size right is the catch.
http://www.samin.com.au/products/view,1,2+bend+mudguards

wags on the water
07-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I take it you already have the stub axles for you 4by rims? It's not a stupid question, don't mean to offend.

grumpy221
07-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Stub axles ......no 4x hubs with holden bearings fit on the old axle

levinge
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Mate best thing you can do is put 4x4 on a boat trailer. advantages towing on the beach, going bush. advice above is all good. Just watch what leaf springs you use. Mine has 4 Leaf and had to do some grinding out of the wheel arches as it had a tendancy to bang over bumps, but alls good.

grumpy221
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Cheers ...yep but I can think of 1 disadvantage more height means going further in the water to launch but ........... did u move your guards up to get the wheels under?

levinge
07-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Guy who owned the boat before me did most of the work, unfortunately he only put 2 leaf on it. guards are welded on with struts and with a little bit of effort I can manipulate them as needed. Good for off road if you happen to hit something with the guard, just get out and bend it back into shape, still strong enough to stand on, without buckling.

Height isn't too bad, have to back down a bit but axle still clears the water (just). Plenty of marine greased and check the grease and bearing on a regular basis, but aside from that, I tow from Kurrimine to Proserpine based out of Townsville.

One good thing is that when backing down I can side the sides on the trailer and also the boat, so it makes reversing dead easy. I can also tackle the odd tree stump out bush.