PDA

View Full Version : New Watersnake Electric. Any tips?

backhoe
06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Just bought a new 54lb bow mount. Just after any tips on the following before I stuff things up.

1. Was thinking about mounting motor on a 30 degree angle to the centrline and about 30cm from the centreline. Will this cause any problems?

2. What is the best fuse setup? Are Anderson plugs OK and are they easy to connect or is there a better option?

3. Has anybody had any corrosion problems with the electics or tilt setup? Is there any area in paticular that I need to watch?

Hopefully somebody will have som ideas
Thanks in advance

squizzytaylor
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Just bought a new 54lb bow mount. Just after any tips on the following before I stuff things up.

1. Was thinking about mounting motor on a 30 degree angle to the centrline and about 30cm from the centreline. Will this cause any problems?
Should be fine but the closer to the centreline the better the boat will track, remember to have the shaft out of harms way when not in the water

2. What is the best fuse setup? Are Anderson plugs OK and are they easy to connect or is there a better option?
I use a circuit breaker whilst the motor is rated to 50 amps mine is fine with a 40 amp. (only cos it was the only one I could get on the day)

3. Has anybody had any corrosion problems with the electics or tilt setup? Is there any area in paticular that I need to watch?
The gland nut where the wiring runs into the head may come loose, remove the 4 screws and make sure its tight and possibly a drop of loctite. otherwise keep the mechanical side of the tilt libed up with Inox or similar.

Hopefully somebody will have som ideas
Thanks in advance

Cheers Geoff

Crooked
06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Backhoe,
I have recently mounted the same motor. I mounted it at probably a 45 degree angle to the centreline and approx 15cm from nose. It works great, the angle doesn't really matter as the motor rotates 360 degrees but as Geoff said the closer to the front the better.

I recommend the quick release plate if want to remove the motor frequently. I connected with anderson plug and although a bit expensive it works great, I also have an inline fuse with 40amp fuse. It is supposed to be 50 but this was the biggest I could find for the inline type.

I have had no problems with the motor, so don't have any areas you should watch. One thing I have found though is that it works best with main motor down, this stops the stern flicking around when going from full electric power to none. At the start I was doing 360's with the main outboard up!

cheers, Evan

Simmo2
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Give the foot control a good spray on 'inox' or similar.
Mine is offset from the bow and works fine.
When stowing the motor, make sure it is fully 'locked' into its up position.
They are a great motor. Very happy .

63eh
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Reg lube moving parts or you will find it starts becoming hard to deploy,

cheers Dan

nipsta
06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
and the way you lock it in makes all the differnce if it get tight just turn the head of the electrin round and it might make it easier to release which i found wwith mine it does and i also insted of flipping it up every time you move i just rasie it up and lock it off up in the air

Coontakinta
07-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Simmo2 any chance of some pics of how yours is set up? Am about to through this exercise as well. What did you mount yours on (which boat) Did you use anything to level it up or simple bolt it to the foredeck?

I have a couple of pictures here for your perusal. The first two are where I'd like it to be for ease of deploying and removing. Also because in the retracted position it interferes less with the passengers position.

The third pic is where popular concensus says it should be. I'n not overly keen on this spot as the head would then be a long way from where I can easily get to it and when not in use the shaft wil be right where the passenger sits.

Kleyny
07-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Can all of you watersnake guys tell how long you have had them for and dramas (if any)
I'm seriously thinking of getting one and just want some feedback from a few people who have had them for a while.

thanks

neil

Simmo2
07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Yup no worries, will take photo's tomorrow. Mine is on a 455 Stacer.

I've had mine for a few months, (search fo a thread ' kmart and the watersnake ') Only problem has been the foot control, which was my fault.

I dont use mine 20 hours a week like the Minn kota guys, so, so far I am very happy with the motor. ('Kinn Mota I call it!)

Nico.d.R
08-03-2008, 01:10 AM
i have also thought of getting one but i heard they are pretty noisy for an electric , is that true ?

Plasticin
08-03-2008, 09:13 AM
I cannot seriously say that the watersnake is really significantly louder than the kota riptide series. Sure I would love to have the autopilot but I also love having the simple foot pedal and knowing that the footpedal won't let me down during a trip to one of the barra dams or on comp day. You can take all this with a grain of salt given that I am trying to sell one (BM54 should anyone be interested ::) ) . But there has been one on the front of my boat for close to 18mths so far and there will be one there for many more years to come. But should you take all the aforementioned maintenance tips then I doubt there will be a problem. Looking forward to the release of the new scissor mount model in april. Should be a cracker.

Just my opinion

Scott

Kleyny
08-03-2008, 10:00 AM
how much have you got on it?
how old and roughly how many hours?

neil

Simmo2
09-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Worked me but off today, forgot the fotoz, will try to take them after work tomorra.

Simmo2
09-03-2008, 07:02 PM
As promised, some photos of my 'Kinn mota!.

nipsta
09-03-2008, 07:43 PM
io ahev one and ill be honest would not know a thing about minns or motor guide bar the fact there dearer as for the water snake i have 44lb and i love it easy foot control to use and does use alot of power i can run most of the day and still have 40 to 50 percent battery left i have 105amp deep cycle yes when the motor turns around it prob a little noiser then what you expect but i dont think that i transfers into the water other wise its quiet when travelling put i t this way i have had many of talks on this site about this and it you will confuse you more then anything but the bottom line is cost . nd if you listen to all the negative reports on all the brands you wouldnt own one but my chioce is the watersnake it works for me .

just my little bit

Nico.d.R
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM
i will probly end up getting the snake mainly for cost reasons . My minn cota 28lb has lost gears , i noticed it today i get 1st and 2nd than 3rd and 4thare the same as 2nd and then i get 5th .

Plasticin
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Neil,

Still in the box, unopened. Was looking around the 600 mark but feel free to make an offer. Used to work for Fooksies tackleworld and ordered it before I knew we were closing up. The dealer wouldn't let me cancel the order and hence I got an extra electric. Joys. Let me know if your keen

Cheers Scott

skeeter
20-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Another queston on setup, how far below the water level should the prop be?

Peter

charlieash
20-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Best thing you can do is set it up on a quick release mount that way when it dies you can just push it in the water and put a minn kota on . ;D ;D ;D

Plasticin
20-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Pretty sure that I can remember reading that the top of the prop should be 15cm underneath the water. However when I use mine I just put it as deep as possible and I have no problem with it. 48inch shaft on a stacer 435 barra elite FYI

Simmo2
20-03-2008, 08:55 PM
I think that as long as the prop gets grip (hehe wrong wording I know!!)...
Also tho, consider that a motor positioned to one side of the bow, the prop would need to be deep enough to actually position thrust under the boat.
I cant think in words how to describe this.

If the motor/prop was to Stbd, and shallow, turning to port would be great....but turning to stbd would put prop wash into the bow of the boat, the result would not be good.
If the motor/prop were deeper, then the thrust would pass under the boat...sorta!