PDA

View Full Version : can u get to stradbroke with a 6 hp

catchthemall
04-03-2008, 07:58 PM
hello my name is johnno i was wondering if you can get over to stradbroke in a 6 hp tinnie . and you don't have to cross the bar to get ther. my friend has a stupid theary that you have to have a big motor and boat to get over there. if you could please show him wrong please put your thead in thanks johnno.

Vindicator
04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
If you've got the time and the bay is a millpond, sure!

Cheers
Kezza

Nicko
04-03-2008, 08:43 PM
You definitely can! I've driven over to curtain reef over at moreton island from bribie island on a 6hp driven 3.55m tinnie!

grey_inflatable
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
mate all i can say is you would want dam good weather., i would not do it

grey_inflatable
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
mate all i can say is you would want dam good weather., i would not do it

Hamish73
04-03-2008, 09:00 PM
more to boat than the motor.
We used to go from manly to mud to peel (close enough to straddie) in a 3.7 with a 15 on the back. If it was more than about 6 knots wind, our speed was reduced to that of a 6hp engine . My only advise is pick you day and make sure you have some form of communicfation other than a mobile phone. Flares and handheld VHF would be the minimum requirement

Bear001
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I will watch this thread closely for help too - was hoping to go up north in winter with my 400Hornet Trophy with 40ETEC.

Have no idea on type of fish available? Sick of driving 4hrs to the coast to catch bream/flatties - would like to get into something a bit more exciting in protected bay/water

Have been google earth to see where to base/set out from? Pref somewhere a bit quite.

Outsider1
04-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Firstly, lets get all the possibilities out of the road.

Johnno didn't say whether he was talking about North or South Straddie, but lets assume it is North. He also did not say whether he wanted to sneak across where the mainland is closest (say down around Jacobs Wells) or across the main bay from say Manly or Bribie, lets assume the later.

Could you do it, yes on a very good day and with some luck, and lots of time. Would you do it?, only if you had a death wish. You might get away with it a couple of times, but eventually you are going to come to grief.

Cheers

Dave

joeT
04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Can be done for sure. I used to drive around with a 3.7 with a 15hp all over the bay. However, after experiencing the bay and how bad it can turn on you and how quickly, I will never do it again. I was young, inexperienced, and thought that if I could keep motoring everything would be fine. Was out a Peel once and came back on a bad arvo, took 2 hours with the old man bailing water out of the boat the whole time. Just one bad wave and the boat would have been upside down and on the news.

The problem with a small boat is that you don't have any margin built in if things go sour. If you insist on taking your small boat out there. Pick a really good day, go really early and come back back before midday. Bring heaps of fuel, and only carry 2 people at most. Bring an EPIRB, wear lifejackets, VHF, log onto a VMR. Better yet, just stick to the closer reefs and islands. There is plenty of good fishing to be found already.

Nicko
05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Can be done for sure. I used to drive around with a 3.7 with a 15hp all over the bay. However, after experiencing the bay and how bad it can turn on you and how quickly, I will never do it again. I was young, inexperienced, and thought that if I could keep motoring everything would be fine. Was out a Peel once and came back on a bad arvo, took 2 hours with the old man bailing water out of the boat the whole time. Just one bad wave and the boat would have been upside down and on the news.

The problem with a small boat is that you don't have any margin built in if things go sour. If you insist on taking your small boat out there. Pick a really good day, go really early and come back back before midday. Bring heaps of fuel, and only carry 2 people at most. Bring an EPIRB, wear lifejackets, VHF, log onto a VMR. Better yet, just stick to the closer reefs and islands. There is plenty of good fishing to be found already.
Yeah, very good point!
I've actually got a custom windscreen/bimini cover built onto my small tinnie which I'm really thankful for. May not look as slick as a basic open tinnie but I've been out in the rain and stayed dry and most importantly the front windscreen has keep water out of the boat a few times when i've been chopping through rough water.

baitwaster
05-03-2008, 05:04 AM
but lets assume it is North

Lets assume it is south, - too easy.
We did it for a year 11 scool camp with the hire tinnies from jacobs well, camped the night at tipplers. From memory there were about 20 kids and 5 boats.

Dirtysanchez
05-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Wasn't there something on the news a few years back where a bloke went to Moreton with his kids in a small tinny, and on the way back the weather went pear shaped on him and he and the kids ended up in the drink?
They rescued them OK, but he was then prosecuted for his reckless behaviour

Noelm
05-03-2008, 09:55 AM
the size of the Motor has absolutely nothing to do with how far you can go (remember that guy almost paddled to NZ), it has more to do with fuel capacity and staying afloat, NOT HP.

cqfreshie
05-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I like this bit ..."my friend has a stupid theary that you have to have a big motor and boat to get over there"

That is not a stupid theory. It's logical safe thinking, even on a perfect day. Of
course, you don't say how big is big.

When heading into the briney, and some larger fresh dams, always expect that the weather will blow up. You then realise the need for someting better than a 12 footer with a 6 horse.

That's only my view ... could be, and have been, wrong.

Cheers

noosa_nipper
05-03-2008, 10:25 AM
IMHO if your planning just a day trip...make sure its a good day...or as said above...run out of woongoolba and through the islands and then run all the way up the west side of straddie. the bay in a boat with no power can be very strenuous. as a 17 yr old, i drove my 3m stessl(had been strengthened), with a 6HP YAM (brand new) from redcliffe to tangalooma on moreton. weather was fine and i knew that i didnt have to get the boat back....mates on islands with 4WD to bring back on barge. i look back now...... I WAS MAD!!! but...the boat did have some get up and go with just me in the boat which i think is essential...if a swell stands up under you and you dont have that bit of extra grunt to give it....u will end up in all sorts of dramas. if it looks at all to b bad weather....stick to the islands around the pin and make your way up.... as close to shore as possible.

have done the trip to strad on a good day....just hung out couple of hundred metres back off the barge....yet another option.

good luck
nipper

Shagga
05-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I took a hire boat with 6hp out of Dunwich once over to Peel. It was a great day until we headed home and the conditions on the Eastern side of peel had changed dramatically. Horific trip back against wind, swell and current.

Regardless of how big your boat or motor, you should always plan your trips based on the latest weather conditions and more importantly your experience and capabililty.

Blackened
05-03-2008, 07:01 PM
G'day

Yes it can be done, and be done safely.

I've a 12' with a 9.9 and have been all over the bay in it, literally.

Provided you're experienced with a level head, understand the weather/tide/currents, there would be no worries.

How do you think the original indiginous populations start to inhabit moreton and straddie? Edencrafts and Etecs?

Dave

SunnyCoastMark
05-03-2008, 07:32 PM
The POint here is not wether you can get there but how do you get back if the weather turns nasty -

A little 12 ft tinny - it only takes one greeny over the front - and you are in the water.

Not worth the risk......

Mark

Blackened
05-03-2008, 07:42 PM
The POint here is not wether you can get there but how do you get back if the weather turns nasty -

G'day

Choose a different route, follow the barge, have a bilge pump on board, take a detour (different angle onto waves to make it safer) or wait for conditions to subside

PS: and the POINT of the thread was can you GET to stradbroke with a 6hp. Yes you can as they hadn't needed to come back the other way

Dave

levinge
05-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately in this day and age, Stupid People do things that they don't put alot of thought into and as a result they not only put their lives at risk attempting these Stupid Ideas, they also put the lives of those who have to rescue them at risk.

I would suggest that if you have a single doubt about your boat, motor, safety equipment, seamanship or weather conditions. Stay at home and give the Coastguard guys and girls a day off.

God knows they deserve it!!!

BrewGuru
05-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I can't understand why people want to send a boy to do a mans job, 12 footer, 6HP ? get real, stick to Pumistone passage at best or the broadwater at worst. The boat you have bought is a river boat or a tender not a boat to handle the conditions of Moreton Bay. Can it be done? probably, but why?

SunnyCoastMark
05-03-2008, 09:22 PM
G'day

Choose a different route, follow the barge, have a bilge pump on board, take a detour (different angle onto waves to make it safer) or wait for conditions to subside

PS: and the POINT of the thread was can you GET to stradbroke with a 6hp. Yes you can as they hadn't needed to come back the other way

Dave

Dave,
Ignoring arguments for arguments sake - what he is proposing to do is NOT safe. However you spin this - It is foolhardy at best and lifethreatening at worst.

If you had to do it for an an emergency - OK - maybe - but other than that.....Why?!

Mark

deathstar 3
05-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Could - Yes
Would - No!

Blackened
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
G'day

Wasn't and not looking for an argument, however the original question was, can it be done

I said yes and replied with my reasons

Dave

datamile
06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe.. but the bay weather can turn in minutes, tide and wind direction can make a huge difference.

It can be nice between the islands, only to find yourself in 2m swell as you round lamb island. Nearly got caught out in my boat, and ended up riding the swell until macleay took most of it out, so hate to think about it in a small boat.

Fish Guts
06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
turn it up small unit. id have a friggin rosco canoe over a rollinator any day of the week in the bay !!..