PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty starting motor when tilted up?

fender22
03-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi all. I tried to start my 87 Merc 135HP last weekend on the trailer just to give it a run with the muffs on. I had the support bracket on so being too lazy to drop it down I left it tilted up slightly on the support bracket (about 15-20 degrees.) Anyway, it was turning over but wouldn't fire and I thought about it through the week and figured that maybe with the motor tilted up, the fuel would run forward out of the carbs instead of back into the cylinder? Anyway, once I tilted it down again started very quickly which made me think....

Seem to have to turn it over quite a few times to get it going when down at the ramp but usually starts readilly at home with the muffs on and I haven't been able to work out why? It's not like it's under load on the water apart from the exhaust being submerged and a bit more back pressure. I was wondering....Should the motor be fairly close to level for starting? On the water obviously the bum sits down a bit and the motor would be slanting back somewhat. I normally give it some throttle as well as plenty of choke which it seems to like more fuel (choke / throttle) than less being a merc. The other tip some one gave me was to "pump" the throttle 3 or 4 times before starting which I haven't tried yet. I'm not very mechanical so not sure if this is right or not. Does fuel squirt or pump in just by working the throttle back and forth or does it need the engine cranking to pump? It always starts easy as when warm.

My normal procedure is to pump the fuel line bulb up hard, then some throttle (gears disengaged) and turn it over with choke pressed in until she fires.

It does seem strange to me that it is more difficult to start (cold) when the boat is sitting on the water as opposed to on the trailer with muffs? Any help appreciated...

Dignity
03-03-2008, 06:55 PM
fender, when I was out the previous weekend I had trouble starting my motor at the pontoon - just spent one and half hours comiong in and the motor work flawlessly - dumb me some how managed to dislodge the dead mans switch. At the ramp once we got the boat back on dry land - due to a very appreciated tow from the pontoon to the ramp 10 meteres away by the surf rescue boys - my mate decided to press the fuel bulb while the motor was tilted and yes, fuel leaked every where so I would think that your assumption would be right about it leaking from the carbys. After we got back and I found the dead man switch had been inactivated the motor started perfectly.

Now the interesting thing is that I find that the motor does start easier at home than on the ramp, often wondered why as this happened to an 85 suzi I had previously.

Bilopete
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Now the interesting thing is that I find that the motor does start easier at home than on the ramp, often wondered why as this happened to an 85 suzi I had previously.

I have exactly the same problem! Motor will start on 1st or 2nd pull yet when I get down to the boat ramp (which is only 10 minutes away) it can take a full 4-8 pulls to get going....why is it so?

BaitThrower
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
fuel supply issue.

FNQCairns
03-03-2008, 09:45 PM
It's just backpressure and completely normal. Can be the first sighn of lowering compression also but it can also be a sign of many other things too!

Your carbs have float bowls these work on the level of fuel in the bowls to bloke off any further fuel, if the engine is tilted the full fuel level changes and the float no longer travels high enough to block the fuel inlet and it can flood etc.

No squirter like typical on carb 4 strokes, if the engine is not turning over and the float bowl in not full then no fuel reaches the pistons.

Not good with mercs but the above is fairly generic I assume your would fit but do not know for sure.

cheersfnq