PDA

View Full Version : 450kg,tie down strap

dnej
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Since the law says that your tie down straps have to be branded,how do you work out if a 450kg strap will do the job of tieing down a boat that weighs say 1100 kg.
Or is that a no brainer,and the strap should be at least 1100kg.

How is it calculated.?

David

wags on the water
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
David,
When I purchased my boat new 1100kg, the tie down straps supplied were only rated at 250kg. All the weight is on the trailer so all you're doing is securing the boat to it. It'd be a different story if you were lifting the boat off the trailer.

Don't know if this helps.

Wags

Spaniard_King
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
David, don't think you will find any for 1100kg's, you'l probably have to go to the 2500kg models :):):):) only kidding

I think you will find that the law states that it has to be secured to the trailer so even if you have an accident and the 2500kg model breaks and the boat go's AWOL you could be held liable. having said that my rig is 2T and trailer 700kg's and I have mine tied down with 500kg straps which puts me in the same predicament as Wags

Lewy
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Where did you find this law, and if it states that the strap mus be labeled is that all that is required who woks out what strength it should, probably only an insurance co trying to dodge a claim.

Lewy

wags on the water
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
You could contact the manufacturer and ask them to put in writing what kg straps they recommend to secure the boat to the trailer.

FNQCairns
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
The department of transport has lots of guidelines denoting what is considered acceptable to hold a load down and what is acceptable is almost impossible to achieve on a boat trailer with any weight rating of singular strap.

There was a B-O-N-Z-E-R thread here a year or two ago that got right into this, what I walked away with from it was - I will do my best but I can never fully meet the those requirements.

search it up if interested, it's an eyeopener!!

cheers fnq

Kleyny
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Q. Transport has a book called he load restraint guide. it uses good piccies and explanations for all different types of loads. which you can apply for your boat.

The QLD legislation states the vehicles load must be able to withstand forces at least:
80% of its weight in a forward motion.
50% of its weight sideways motion.
an addtion of 20% of its weight downwards.

So IMO if you break this down for a trailer boat this what i would do:

The 80% is reached with the help of the boat winch post.

The 50% sideways is reached with the help of rollers/ skids.

The 20% is reached by the strap you choose and the winch/ chain.

IMO 1 450kg strap would cover this for a boat of 1000kgs

neil