PDA

View Full Version : fomosa 550 center con

robboo
03-03-2008, 09:32 AM
gday loking for any imformation . good and bad about the fomosa 550 center con comes with a 90 e tec evenrude , this is my first boat of this size, looked at a lot of center cons i think is for me i hope. robboo

dogsbody
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Gday robboo take a look here. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=120323&highlight=formosa+550

Dave.

pursuit001
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
hi there the formosa seem to have quite a good name the etec is a good motor im sure you will find alot on here that will tell you a bit about them ive heard there a pretty well finished boat and are great value good luck with your purchase .
cheers shane .

Wahoo
03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Robbo, great boats imo, but a 115 would be my choice on a 5.5m

levinge
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I would agree with Wahoo on this one, if your loading up to go fisihing and a couple of mates etc, you'll want the extra HP, makes life alot easier. If this is your first boat you'll want to do it right.

Best advice is to do a forum on how people set up their boats, because when you buy your first one, you don't know all the little bits like extra Rod Holders, 12 volt outlets for extras, kill tank, deck wash, live bait tank etc.

do alot of research and even look at a few secondhand boats at the dealers and also if you have mates with boats, talk to them. Information is your weapon when putting together a boat.

Hope this helps you a little, p.s. got one 4m Side Console and buying my second
shortly 5.8M Formosa Centre Cab 135HP honda and all the goodies

LINZ_74
03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
G'day Robboo, i purchased the 550 early December last year and think that they are quite good value for money. They are classed as a plate boat, but there have been people on this forum say that they are not really a plate, but a don't really know if it is a real platey or not (only fairly new to boating), all i can go on is it feels solid and handles really well in chop IMO.
With mine i went with the 115 e-tec and glad i did as i think the 90 would have been a bit small, but the dealer at the time said the 90 would be fine but the 115 would be better, which i new already.
With the minimum being the 90 hp and max being 140 hp i reckon it be best to meet it halfway for my requirements.
Everything i have to say about the formosa is positive except the transom door i
had put in, i think it is a pretty ordinary job. Overall i recommend the formosa and think you would be impressed with it.

Cheers

Lindsay

robboo
04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks linz , i rang the dearler and we went for the etec 115,hey linz, the fuel is she a gussler the etec 115

LINZ_74
04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Nah mate it is quite good, i don't have any actual figures but you should be able to track some down in some old posts. If i get to go out soon i will post you some figures and let you know what litres it is using at what speed and revs.
Oil isn't really a problem either, after 16 hrs on the clock all i have had to put in the oil tank is about 3 ltrs.

Lindsay

Noelm
05-03-2008, 12:45 PM
a 115HP Etec will be OK on fuel!

robboo
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
lindsay thanks mate let me know how the fishing goes , by the way where do you fish ,when you get the chance. years ago i use to fish the brissie for jew fish, when i get the chance i wil go back to the old spot its all changed now, iwas oonly a boy not working and only wanted to go fishing pulled in a lot of fish fromthis spot best was 20kg thatwas 30years ago. any headakes with the trailer do you think it would need a 2 axle for more strenth. goodnoyah rob

levinge
05-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Only if you are going to travel any large distances up and down the coast. Just helps spread the load a bit and also if you blow a tyre, you still have 3 good ones to enable a safe stop. Talked to the guys at Coastal Powerboats and ball park for upgrade from single to dual axle from memory was around $1200

LINZ_74
06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Hey Robboo, i usually fish out from Yeppoon over around the keppels but sometimes head off to the Mackay waters from time to time. I have the single axle redco sportsman trailer but wish i had have gone with the tandem as i do have to travel about 2.5 hrs to get to the water. At the weight of the boat and outboard apparently it is close to its maximum weight for the single axle.

Cheers

Lindsay

KAGEY1
12-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah! What the other owners said. Ours is great. the 115 etec pushes her with ease. Fuel varies according to load, but we are averaging around 1 to 1.2 nm per litre. Oil is a non event. Barely moves the level for a 50nm round trip.
Cheers, Geoff

robboo
13-03-2008, 08:25 AM
gday geoff, yeh mate how many km in a nmile would not know my self. wouldnt be two by any chance . thanks rob

LINZ_74
13-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Hey Rob i think it is about 1.8 km to a nautical mile, not exactly sure but i know it is around 2 kms but not anymore than that. If you google up a conversion table on your computer you can get the exact figures.

Lindsay

KAGEY1
14-03-2008, 06:32 PM
1.852 km per nm to be exact! my problem is it is hard to stop the throttle hand pushing forward till the tach reads around 5800 rpm. ffflllyyyying by then! lol
i would get better if i could stay around 4000 rpm.
cheers, Geoff

levinge
14-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey Kagey1 I hope I can hold back my enthusiasm in about 10 weeks. Monday I'm ordering the new boat. thanks for all the comments from you and other Ausfisho's I have finally decided on the 5.8M Centre Cab with a 135hp 4 Stroke Honda, all the bells and whistles. Was leaning toward the 5.5M until the beginning of this year and then low and behold Formosa bring out the 5.8M Centre Cab, so what did I do, like a kid in a candy store, gimmee gimmee gimmee.

I'll post some photos when she's ready...