PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for jacks.

mattooty
02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Had my first taste of jacks today, and to say i was amazed by their power is an understatement. Was just using my gear i use for softplastic flathead and they just laughed at my incompetance! I was using 12lb braid, completely locked up on a dropshot rod and i could barely turn their head. Fresh unweighted prawns did the damage.
The question is, im looking at splashing out on a budget, elephant guns style combo. I know its a big ask as theres so many vairables available these days.
Won't be casting great distances and am hoping to double this reel as a livebaiting rod for jews around bridges.
Budget is probably around $200-$250 for rod and reel. What is everyones thoughts on the starlo sticks overhead rods? Thinking about going for a shimano corviolus as its relatively cheap yet seems like it could screw up to dish out a fair amount of drag.
All opinions are welcomed
Cheers
Matt

spears
02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
starlo sticks have a reputation on popping the bindings around guides..

BARRAkid
02-03-2008, 10:13 PM
corvalis 400 will handle it
starlo stix and the other steve starling rods snap like tooth picks never owned one but seen a lot snapped.
go a dropshot or raider insted.

tunaticer
02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Hang around the 2nd hander stores looking for a Shimano Jig'n'Pig rod. Probably the best proportioned jack rod ever made. They are about 6' long with a sensitive and relatively light tip but the guts below to run 10-15kg line if you like.
The rod i use is a cut down Snyderglas Mag Jig blank with about 8 inches taken off the butt. Its a fast lockup for hitting jacks in the oyster reefs up north. I run 8kg braid or mono on it depending on the reel i select for the day.

Personally a lot of the rods on the market these days have too much give in them for jacks in really terminal terrain.

Jack.

artesian
02-03-2008, 11:10 PM
silstar crystal powertips aren't thoroughbreds but are pretty much indestructible - dollars saved could go to a more up market reel?

If you are casting all day there may be better choices in the budget.

Flex
03-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Shimano Cruxis + a backbone elite rod..good combo for around $250

the-smallish-unit
16-03-2008, 10:33 AM
mate if your lookin for a feed 80 lb handline fixs em up try it.

shaneomack05
16-03-2008, 01:33 PM
go the flugger echelon snapper combo. around $150 and you could chuck some 50lb braid on it and still have money left over. i got one and its probably my favourite rod right now. it wont let you down.
cheers
shane

diabolical
16-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Hang around the 2nd hander stores looking for a Shimano Jig'n'Pig rod. Probably the best proportioned jack rod ever made. They are about 6' long with a sensitive and relatively light tip but the guts below to run 10-15kg line if you like.
The rod i use is a cut down Snyderglas Mag Jig blank with about 8 inches taken off the butt. Its a fast lockup for hitting jacks in the oyster reefs up north. I run 8kg braid or mono on it depending on the reel i select for the day.

Personally a lot of the rods on the market these days have too much give in them for jacks in really terminal terrain.

Jack.

The Penn sport series rods would fit the bill.

chewy01
16-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Mate'
iv got a corvalus 200 and the drag out of the box is better than anything else i own.the only problem with them is they arent made out of really corrosin resistant material.ie you need to be really pedantic about srraying them with inox or similar aftr evey trip but the drag is silky smooth and will lock up.the 200 will hold plenty of line.rods are a personal choice but the raider spin rod has landed some fish for me way out of its weight range though it is suffering a bit now.