PDA

View Full Version : Who to vote for in council elections?

mik01
02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Guys,

following on from Stue's (4reel) thread about making your vote count in the council elections I thought it might be a good idea to list the councillor/s who is sympathetic to our past time, hobby, lifestyle (whatever you want to identify your fishing with), in your area.

As a redlands resident, and having been o/s for the past 3 weeks, I have no idea who would be best to vote for to maximise my vote in relation to moreton bay and the green zones.

Does anyone have any idea about the Redlands councillors and also any other councillors in other electorates that are sympathetic to the fishing public?

cheers,
Mick

mik01
10-03-2008, 08:31 AM
well, following on from the massive response my original post created ::) , I've had a bit of a look through candidates particularly in Redlands.

One point of interest for us is that Debra Henry (councillor elect) is a prominent AMCS supporter. http://www.savemoretonbay.org.au/main/prominent.php

that will be one councillor I won't be voting for.

Chris Ryan
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
from Bribie way for new Moreton Mega Council. This from Caboolture Herald.

Where mayoral candidates stand:

Bryan Galvin: I do not support the changes. There needs to be a lot more public consultation.

Peter Houston: The closures have not been based on scientific research. The fisherman of this region deserve a better reason.

Joy Leishman: Further consultation with the local recreational fishing community and residents of the Moreton Bay region must be undertaken.

John McNaught: I support the majority of amendments (because) we will not have any fish to catch unless steps are taken. I support the Toorbul Action Group's submission and believe a compromise can be found.

Allan Sutherland: I oppose many of the proposed changes and Redcliffe Council has submitted a detailed response to government.

BrewGuru
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I voted today in a pre-poll as I won't be here, Sutherland got my vote.

Blueroo
11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Good on you Mick.
Looks like we have few choices here with the Moreton Mega Council.
I wont be voting for McNaught.
I'll be voting for the one stating "The closures have not been based on scientific research. The fisherman of this region deserve a better reason."
Cheers
Stue

Mike Delisser
11-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Campbells web site seems to contradict the Caboolture Herald Chris but I suppose those are Campbell's words and not the other Mayor's

Straight from Lord Mayor Newman's web site.

"Regional Mayors Allan Sutherland, Don Seccombe and Joy Leishman have joined with Campbell Newman to form the Moreton Bay Task Force of Mayors and position the Bay region as a popular community destination that must be protected"

"The mayors are seeking to transform Moreton Bay into a Fraser Coast-style eco-destination."

“We know that Moreton Bay is special - now we have to keep it that way.”

"The Mayors are promoting the stunning natural region as an eco-tourism destination to uncover and, importantly, preserve the area's natural potential."

Hope this helps some.
Mike

Chris Ryan
12-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Just reporting on what one paper has printed Mike.

However I don't doubt that they have a combination of tourism and anything else they think they can get a seat win on. Eco-tourism sounds green, the roads packages announced works for some, the tunnel issues for others.

Ben D
12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
As a scientist I have not been impressed with the EPAs methods with respect to the rationale behind the rezoning, soI have been looking into this for the northern Moreton Bay region because the regional councils have been given another month in which to make submissions on the EPA plan. So its effectively a byelection, so YOUR VOTE WILL COUNT !

Allan Sutherland is the standout hands down. Not only is he an independent and the incumbent Redcliffe Mayor, he has major fishing credentials, helped set up Sunfish, helped with closing the Pumicestone passage to commercial fishing. he is well briefed and up to speed on the marine parks issues and impressive to see all this in a polly.

So up this way the "Save our Passage" action group is recommending
vote 1 for Allan Sutherland for Mayor, and another independent David Percival for Division 1. I attach a flyer I found in my mailbox yesterday - have set up another thread on this too as fishos shoud know about this bloke.

BrewGuru
12-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I had to laugh at Joy Leishmans proposal to drop the maintance levy of looking after the canal estates of Redcliffe, she stated that the upkeep of the canal estates should be absorberd by the rate payers, the canals are only used by people that live on the canal, I would reckon user pays! Its not the sought of venue I would go to fish or for a picnick, but she was hoping she would pick up another 650 votes that she would not normally get. I was quite vocal abot this in my local paper.

Ben D
12-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I'd let people know that the local fishing action group here in Pumicestone Passage has endorsed Allan Sutherland as the preferred Mayoral candidate for the region in view of the strength of his knowledge of recreational fishing and issues surrounding the marine parks zoning, including his strong opposition to the current zoning plans based on a number of issues, not the least being lack of convincing scientific evidence behind the zoning plan.

Sutherland is current Mayor of Redcliffe, an independent, and he stood head and shoulders above the rest at a public meeting last week when it came to answering a few questions the local "Save our Passage Action group" put to all candidates for this weekends election.

While I usually have no interest whatsoever in local council elections, I believe in credit where credit is due for people who are willing to give it a go and stand up for what they believe in , which an independent like Sutherland can do as he doesn't have to toe the party line. I also believe in giving an informed vote, so if you were like me, like to fish, but didn't have the foggiest who to vote for theres a name to remember. For people in the Bribie/Caboolture area, the Save our Passage Action Group recommend Steve Percival for Division 1, another independent with a good track record and a position favourable to recreational fishers on the EPA issues.

BrewGuru
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I pre polled my vote for Sutherland yesterday as I will be in Sydney on the weekend, I like his policies they have some substance.

Ed

Mike Delisser
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I think that's exactly the sort of info voting anglers need to know, thanks.
But Ben you should state if you are officially speaking for the Save Our Passage Group or are you passing on something you heard about.
Could be a good idea if every rec fishing body & fishing party OFFICIALLY endorsed a few candidates before Saturdays election.
Mike

Ben D
13-03-2008, 11:29 AM
I think that's exactly the sort of info voting anglers need to know, thanks.
But Ben you should state if you are officially speaking for the Save Our Passage Group or are you passing on something you heard about.
Could be a good idea if every rec fishing body & fishing party OFFICIALLY endorsed a few candidates before Saturdays election.
Mike

I have recieved a flyer in the post (see below) from the save our passage group and attended the public meeting last week. The flyer outlines the groups preferred candidates based on their responses to views of interest to recreational fishers. John Hall is the action groups official spokeperson , jhhall@aapt.net.au, or phone 0410090317 if you want to contact him. I listened to what Sutherland had to say at the public meeting and it was obvious to me he is the one rec fishers should support. I thought people who were not at the meeting nor in areas where this flyer is being posted would like to know the save our passages groups official endorsement, as they may not have time to do their own investigations of the various candidates.

craftycarp
13-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Wish all pollies where independent

Shimanervana
13-03-2008, 09:59 PM
G'day Blokes,
Great stuff here . Fabulous to see Fisho's getting into the Politics of issues. We're having elections here in Mackay this weekend and I will be taking this advice seriously on board.
I work part time in a Tackle store and only last weekend the issue was raised as to why we Amateur fishos's are always behind the 8 ball.
The general consensus was that we are spread way too thin when it comes to issues that matter. We do not have a "voice", unlike the pro brigade who are cashed up, legally connected and in the ear of Canberra at Every critical point..
We Amateurs need a "UNION" a single solidified voice that will go into bat armed to the teeth with Solicitors, Barristers, and cash!
These races up and down the coast by the like of Sun Fish et al are useless when the Bureaucratic Policy makers blow into town only to be faced by the hand full who knew about it or could get time out to attend.
And even if we do get a good turn out they baffle us with bullshit and lies then steam away to do as they bloody well please because 9 times out of 10 the legislation has been formulated and passed into law long before they invited us to the table.
Who do politicians listen to? Lobbyists. Professional cashed up mouthpieces representing "the big end of town" and other vested parties, like "Developers"!!! Those dirty scum who cannot waite to cement over the top of every inch of mangrove breeding grounds etc.etc. that they can bribe politicians and local council into signing off.
Now I have said that I will get to the reason why I arrived to this page in the first place.
I'm trying to track a source for Blade runner Lures.
Can any one help?

Marlin_Mike
14-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Don Seccombe has pulled out and is not running for re-election as redland Mayor

Mike

Campbells web site seems to contradict the Caboolture Herald Chris but I suppose those are Campbell's words and not the other Mayor's

Straight from Lord Mayor Newman's web site.

"Regional Mayors Allan Sutherland, Don Seccombe and Joy Leishman have joined with Campbell Newman to form the Moreton Bay Task Force of Mayors and position the Bay region as a popular community destination that must be protected"

"The mayors are seeking to transform Moreton Bay into a Fraser Coast-style eco-destination."

“We know that Moreton Bay is special - now we have to keep it that way.”

"The Mayors are promoting the stunning natural region as an eco-tourism destination to uncover and, importantly, preserve the area's natural potential."

Hope this helps some.
Mike

Janelle
14-03-2008, 06:15 AM
I phoned the candidates for Mayor in the Redlands shire. One returned my call the other didn't. The one that did said they didn't know anything about the EPA zones and that it was a state issue and they had been so busy campaigning for the local election they hadn't read anything on it. To top it off the mayoral candidate throughout the conversation regularly referred to improving water quality and decreasing bag limits in reference to the EPA, not even realizing that it is a completely different topic and department. When I said that local council had an extra month the mayoral candidate didn't know that.

I then phoned a couple of the candidates for my actual area and again one said she had not looked into it at all but from the way she spoke she was in favour of more green zones. One that did know about the greeen zones said that it wasn't local councils place to comment on the green zones that it was up to individuals, council could only comment on the way the zones would effect ferry facilities etc.

If anyone has more info on what the Redlands candidates stand for I would appreciate it as what I have heard to date from the candidates themselves was extremely dissapointing.

As soon as the election is over it looks like I am booking meetings with whoever gets in.

Janelle

Chris Ryan
14-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Apparently the guy who Secombe has backed is a former attorney-general, well connected, is a fisho and dislikes labor a lot.

snasman
14-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Would any one know who would be the best fishing candidate for the ward of Brackenridge,Thanks Snas

Marlin_Mike
14-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Former National Party State Minister and Attorney General

Mike

Apparently the guy who Secombe has backed is a former attorney-general, well connected, is a fisho and dislikes labor a lot.

mik01
14-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I phoned the candidates for Mayor in the Redlands shire. One returned my call the other didn't. The one that did said they didn't know anything about the EPA zones and that it was a state issue and they had been so busy campaigning for the local election they hadn't read anything on it. To top it off the mayoral candidate throughout the conversation regularly referred to improving water quality and decreasing bag limits in reference to the EPA, not even realizing that it is a completely different topic and department. When I said that local council had an extra month the mayoral candidate didn't know that.

I then phoned a couple of the candidates for my actual area and again one said she had not looked into it at all but from the way she spoke she was in favour of more green zones. One that did know about the greeen zones said that it wasn't local councils place to comment on the green zones that it was up to individuals, council could only comment on the way the zones would effect ferry facilities etc.

If anyone has more info on what the Redlands candidates stand for I would appreciate it as what I have heard to date from the candidates themselves was extremely dissapointing.

As soon as the election is over it looks like I am booking meetings with whoever gets in.

Janelle

names please Janelle????

Janelle
15-03-2008, 06:53 AM
In Redlands we only have two Mayoral Candidates.

Melva Hobson was the one who returned my call. I wasn't keen on the fact she didn't know anything about the issue but she did return my call very quickly and was very happy to talk, despite the fact she was due to race off and catch a ferry. She was of the opinion that green zones work and that is why fishermen always put their crab pots along the edge of green zones (she had been told that by someone). If she gets in we all would need to visit her to give her our side as she obviously doesn't fish.

Paul Clauson did not return my call. In fairness to him, he may not have gotten the message but I did tell the person it was urgent as I was planning to pre-poll vote.

Can't remember all the names of the Div 5 candidates. One of the ladies was definitely not interested in the fishing issue,

John Burns stated very bluntly that he did not think the bay needed more green zones. Though he did say it wasn't local councils place to do a submission to the effect that it was up to individuals. With all the candidates I didn't reveal whether I was for or against green zones as I didn't want to taint what their answer was.

All in all - still totally confused as to who would be the best. Do you go for someone who doesn't think much of fishing but may be against development and therefore the production of more run off into the rivers or do I go pro-development and cause problems on land that end up in the water..................... The redlands election seems to be all about development.

Janelle

reelchippy
15-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Well i think this is best

http://redland.yourguide.com.au/articles/1067940.html?src=topstories

reelchippy
15-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Here it is "He admitted he was no greenie and said the Redlands needed to accept that it was a residential community, but stressed no-one wanted wall-to-wall housing and it was all about getting the balance right."

reelchippy
15-03-2008, 07:32 AM

One key line

He admitted he was no greenie and said the Redlands needed to accept that it was a residential community, but stressed no-one wanted wall-to-wall housing and it was all about getting the balance right.

Blueroo
15-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Allan Sutherland for the Moreton Mega Council gets my vote.
As mentioned by Ben D and the Brew Guru I believe he is the best option for the fishing public in Moreton.

Cheers
Stue

Ben D
16-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Results are in - for Moreton, looks like the fishing vote in divisions 1 and 2 helped Sutherland get in . Good news and more to come here I'm sure.

http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections/local/lg2008/MoretonBayRegionalCouncil/results/mayoral/summary.html

shayned
17-03-2008, 12:01 PM
We got David Dwyer in Division 7 Moreton Bay, who has admitted he knows bugger all about fishing, but he knows he likes kids and families enjoying the outdoors. He has a proven track record of supporting our local fish stocking group and also organises the pine river clean every year, so for my mind a good result.

Ben D
17-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Hmm, I was just told that these elections are not first past the post, so the result for Moreton Regional Council is still in the balance and preferences may determine the outcome - a shame because you'd think a 10,000 vote majority would be enough for Sutherland, but perhaps not. Thats democracy for you.

1975fflh
18-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Just look at the NSW labour party and the Wollongong labour party local council, they got sacked and we have been stuck with administrators for 4 years we wont even be able to vote in the September elections.

Maybe because the ALP wants us to forget how bad they are.

I am a unionist and always supported the but even blind freddy can see they are not the way to go.

Gordon