PDA

View Full Version : Crab pot laws

crazboutfishin
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone was aware of the crab pot laws in QLD? Eg, maximun number of pots per person. I also read somewhere that if you are under a certain age that you cant have any? Is this right?

Cheers
Crazy

Blackened
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
G'day

Look on the DPI and F site. All you need to know is there

Crab pots/apparatus, 4 per person over age of 16.

Says nothing regards under 16, only one can assume anyone under 16 can have a hundred if they so wish

Dave

Outsider1
02-03-2008, 01:13 PM
"When fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs the person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years old."

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3065_ENA_HTML.htm

Blackened
02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
G'day

Thanks outsider, sorry for the misleading info

Dave

Lucky_Phill
02-03-2008, 06:01 PM
The ' apparatus ' being either a pot or dilly.

Phill

CreelReaper
02-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey guys,
I think the true definition of the law regarding youngsters (less than 15) is that they must be accompanied by someone of legal age.

Shane

Outsider1
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,
I think the true definition of the law regarding youngsters (less than 15) is that they must be accompanied by someone of legal age.

Shane

Good point watta, but does that then mean that a Father and Son are allowed 8 pots between them, or only 4??

Dave

craigie
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
It's simply 4 per person 15 years & over.

So dad and his toddler are allowed 4 or dad and his grade 8 Son (as long as was not kept back 3 years) are also only allowed 4.

Cheers Craigie.

Briz
04-03-2008, 10:21 PM
This is a good point ... so at issue is the question of when fishing/crabbing with your kids - does this mean they are effectively prevented from catching (& keeping) anything? Does this also apply to bag limits on fish?
briiz

Outsider1
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi Briz,

it got me thinking too about what other restrictions there were on Kids as well?!.

So far I have found that the same restriction seems applies to the use of a Seine (Bait) Net, but there appears to be no age restriction on using a Cast Net.

As far as I am aware there is no age restrictions on fishing per se, but I am still working through it.

Cheers

Dave

CreelReaper
04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey guys
FYI straight from the fisheries websites below. I have lookede but cannot find an age limitation for persons under the age of 15. I would assume that everybody has to obey all the set rule and regs for recreational fishing. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3065_ENA_HTML.htm
When fishing for blue swimmer crabs, mud crabs and spanner crabs the person in possession of the apparatus must be at least 15 years old. Regulated crabs must be removed and returned to the water immediately.
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xbcr/dpi/RecFishingRulesQld-Tidalwater.pdf
Basically anybody can use a seine net (bait net) as long as they are supervised by someone older than 15.

Have a read of the info on these two sites it makes for some interesting reading.

Hope it clears things up for you

Cheers

Shane

pursuit001
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
hi as others have said 4 pots per person over the ages of 15,
thanks shane .