PDA

View Full Version : Etec are they the best

tin can marlin
01-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi guys and girls are the etecs as good as the dvd says they are. And will they be around or will they go out the back door like omc did. Why i'am asking is because i'am trying to pick between etec and yamaha. Regards mark:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-* :-*

Scott nthQld
01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Etec=poo, go Yamaha!

Roughasguts
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Time will tell ..........................................But buy a Suzuki If your hull can handle the weight of a four stroke. If it can't like my hull I would have to buy around a 90 HP Etec.

tin can marlin
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi mate i have heard suzys don't have to be fitted by trained mecs which is a worry. Yamaha dealers have to fit iand if they don't water test it for prop etc they can lose there dealership were as suzy a bloke in his back yard can fit it. I think yamaha will be the way to go. Regards mark

disorderly
01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
TCM,me thinks you have made up your mind but you're just trying to do a bit of saturday night shit stirring http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif.

tin can marlin
01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Mate i have not got my mind made up at all in fact i'am more incline to go etec the only thing that is in yamahas favor is there proven track record and dealer net work. I'am not shit stiring at all and i'am quite taken back by it.

Spaniard_King
01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Cmon guys, theres no storms predicted this week :). But I can see the clouds are forming :P

TonyM
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I dunno about the best (not entering into that very old debate) but I spose it'd be better than a 70's Chrysler ;D

tin can marlin
01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Thats true i like tony your on the same page.

sleepygreg
01-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I dont think your point re the fitting of motors is valid. You can walk into any dealer of any outboard and buy a motor........and fit it yourself. Its a matter of warranty re who fits it. Having owned and fished with ppl who have owned all the major brands of outboards over the last 30 years, of the current crop of outboards I would lean towards the Suzi BECAUSE of the fact that they train their dealers better (my perception) and have more stringent criteria as to who gets a dealership.

Sometimes its just like the Ford/Holden/Toyota debate.....you wont convince fans of one that the other is better.....it aint worth arguing about. They will all do the job they are built to do....and it often comes down to the actions of the owner that determines the performance of the product.

I would also have no problems with owning a Yamaha, Honda, Mercury....as long as its a four stroke. Its just that my preference is the Suzi.

Cheers

Greg

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi greg i'am on the same page

Shanoss
02-03-2008, 12:34 AM
How bloody boring is this....? TCM, Do a search and see what you come up with. This has been done to death time and time again.. a word of advice.. Watch the DVD again and see what you come up with..................................

leezor
02-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi mate i have heard suzys don't have to be fitted by trained mecs which is a worry. Yamaha dealers have to fit iand if they don't water test it for prop etc they can lose there dealership were as suzy a bloke in his back yard can fit it. I think yamaha will be the way to go. Regards mark

I was told the exact opposite when I bought my new Suzuki, apparantly dealers who sell Suzuki's in cardboard boxes without having them fitted by the Suzuki dealer is at risk of losing the dealership.

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Everyone has got a story leezor they are selling suzys out of sheads and thats it.

sleepygreg
02-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Leezor,

I dont doubt thats what you were told by the dealer. But i think you will find that the only thing they could do would be to void the warranty. To take away the dealership because they sold it to someone who wanted to fit it themselves, I think the ACCC or Fair Trading would likely be invoked. I am and have been involved in retail and wholesale all my life, both in the fishing industry and other industries, so I have some knowledge of these sort of practices re exclusive dealerships. I dont believe Suzuki would engage in that sort of tactic, nor any other major brand for that matter. They would however, be totally within their rights to unfavourably view any warranty claims if the motor was fitted by an unqualified person, depending on the circumstances. Lets just say that the boat I fish out of at the moment has twin 115 Suzis, and the dealer who fitted and done the first couple of services no longer has the suzi dealership, and having had the motors serviced subsequently by a factory accredited Suzi technician who pointed out a number of things that should have been brought to our attention previously, I have confidence in Suzukis business practices. This is not meant to denigrate other brands,as i am sure they all have similar ethics, just to support my reasons for the choices I make.

Greg

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 02:09 AM
I understand greg were you are coming from and all of your advice is taken on board .

Jabba_
02-03-2008, 05:54 AM
If you more after the economy, go for the yammie... If you want performance the E-tec will deliver it better then then what the Yammie ever could, the economy will probably not be as good as the yammie, but it will be dam close..... It all comes to your set up, and what you want from your boat and motor.....
Tin Can, you know what my boat is, and you know I have a 250 E-tec, with a 21" Viper II....
I have know Idea what your craft is and what size motor you want... But to give you some comparison.
@ 10mph 1800rpm 13ltr/hr
@ 32mph 3000rpm 30ltr/hr
@ 42mph 4000rpm 40ltr
@ 52mph 5000rpm 55ltr
@ 60mph 5800rpm 80ltr....

These figures are the worst I get... Basically on the average fishing trip I get 2.4klm per litre.... And from what I have used in oil so far I will need to do over 200hrs to use a drum (19ltr) off XD100, which cost $280....

E-tec's had there share off problem when they first hit the market.. From what I understand, most off the problems were software related an some gearbox problem. Those problems have certainly been over come and the product has been around now since 2003.... I know 3 owners personally that have E-tec's, All were purchased in 2007, and to date none of them have had a glitch, and all are running superbly.

pickers
02-03-2008, 06:54 AM
A mate of my'ne is getting a 5.8mtr bluewater built and was tossing up what motor to put on the r-send , e-tec...yammy...?????
so he decided to do some homework and dig deep into bowels of the companies r&d files....what did he find.???
e-tec's power head is not strong enough to last...there go's his dream of having an e-tec.
the one good thing he did find was what the companies do to test new motors before putting them on the market...they have huge sheds that have massive test tanks and they hook up the motor to a fuel supply and let the motor run flat out in gear until it blows , now thats some bloody mean test they do.
thats where he found out about the prob with e-tecs , so hopefully there tecco's are redesigning the head to last.
so...what motor did he go for...well bugger me..turns out the mariner vro was the one that lasted the longest in the test tank with doing over 300hours flat out non-stop and still didn't blow so the mariner has won the spot on the r-send of the new rig.
don't take this to heart as he just wanted to find out for himself what is going to be his choice of motor......EACH TO THEIR OWN.

pickers

bluefin59
02-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Its not hard to make a choice either you want an outdated 2stroke or a modern 4 stroke ,its pretty simple really . If you want to know whats more reliable have a look at some other sites there seem to be some happy etec owners but there are some who log big hours who literally hate them . Have a look on a site called game fish central there is a discussion there on them by people who do big hours ,at the end of the day they are only a 2 stroke ...matt

wingfisher
02-03-2008, 07:54 AM
I joined this site to learn something new, so far the only thing you guys have taught me is you cant teach an old dog new tricks!

TheRealAndy
02-03-2008, 07:59 AM
I am going through the same descision making process at the moment. No offence bluefin59, but to say the etec is an outdated is just plain wrong. Once you sift through the marketing drivel, they are a shit hot outboard. Now I am a 4 stroke fan, i love how quiet and reliable they are and I also love the economy. But the etec is a lot lighter, has more power and you just cannot beat that 3 year service period in my opinion. In fact it is the 3 year service interval that has put the etec in front for me.

In saying all this, the boat I intend to buy comes from a yamaha dealer, so thats what I will probably end up with. The boat I just bought has a yam 4 stroke too, and that does not miss a beat (so far). But if I were to replace the current outboard I think I would go the etec.

disorderly
02-03-2008, 08:03 AM
I joined this site to learn something new, so far the only thing you guys have taught me is you cant teach an old dog new tricks!

You are not reading too hard then.
There is a wealth of information and experience on the site...just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif.

Scott

Far side
02-03-2008, 08:09 AM
[quote=TheRealAndy;775077]I am going through the same descision making process at the moment. No offence bluefin59, but to say the etec is an outdated is just plain wrong. Once you sift through the marketing drivel, they are a shit hot outboard. Now I am a 4 stroke fan, i love how quiet and reliable they are and I also love the economy. But the etec is a lot lighter, has more power and you just cannot beat that 3 year service period in my opinion. In fact it is the 3 year service interval that has put the etec in front for me.

Did a little research on this I think the service interval changes when you run the motor in salt water. I would worry about the leg and the anodes in the motor

manchild
02-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Those bloody dvd-s again.Watch any manufacturers dvd and they all tell you that they product is the best.Buy the motor that you can afford ,from a dealer you trust and look after it.Thats all there is to it .
George

TheRealAndy
02-03-2008, 08:35 AM
[quote=TheRealAndy;775077]I am going through the same descision making process at the moment. No offence bluefin59, but to say the etec is an outdated is just plain wrong. Once you sift through the marketing drivel, they are a shit hot outboard. Now I am a 4 stroke fan, i love how quiet and reliable they are and I also love the economy. But the etec is a lot lighter, has more power and you just cannot beat that 3 year service period in my opinion. In fact it is the 3 year service interval that has put the etec in front for me.

Did a little research on this I think the service interval changes when you run the motor in salt water. I would worry about the leg and the anodes in the motor

Thanks Farside. I will have to take a look at that. As I said before, there is a great amount of marketing drivel ( a real turn off for me) so it take a bit to find the info you want!

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 08:49 AM
All this advice is taken on board as people on ausfish have got vast knowledge on these subjects. You can never beat talking to people that own thes products. Keep up the good work guys. Regards mark

wingfisher
02-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Speak to etec dealears and you will find warranty is the same regardless of what water you use it in

Jabba_
02-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Either your a dumb ___ or you need to listen to you own advice.... How many times does it have to be mentioned on this site alone for it to get through some think skulls.... The dealer service intervals remains at 3 years/300hrs regardless if the E-tec is used in fresh or SALT water... Common sense is the key here, as with every outboard motor you need to inspect your filters and what every else, grease when necessary, change an anode if it needs so. If you find a problem then take into a dealer and have them check it out .....

Seriously, do you not inspect your motor between services, and what on earth would you do if you ever required a new anode before your 100hr service due?.. Or how about your geabox seal, what do you do if you get fishing line caught around your shaft???..... Do you just leave those maintance issues knowing you have peice of mind that you'll be serviced soon enough at 100hrs.... or does that mouse inside the wheel start running and you think it might be a good idea to preform some simple maintance yourself...

SgBFish
02-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Either your a dumb ___ or you need to listen to you own advice.... How many times does it have to be mentioned on this site alone for it to get through some think skulls.... The dealer service intervals remains at 3 years/300hrs regardless if the E-tec is used in fresh or SALT water... Common sense is the key here, as with every outboard motor you need to inspect your filters and what every else, grease when necessary, change an anode if it needs so. If you find a problem then take into a dealer and have them check it out .....

Seriously, do you not inspect your motor between services, and what on earth would you do if you ever required a new anode before your 100hr service due?.. Or how about your geabox seal, what do you do if you get fishing line caught around your shaft???..... Do you just leave those maintance issues knowing you have peice of mind that you'll be serviced soon enough at 100hrs.... or does that mouse inside the wheel start running and you think it might be a good idea to preform some simple maintance yourself...

Jabba.
Thats an ordinary start to a reply, that may get you some time on the bench.:o

Fish Guts
02-03-2008, 10:19 AM
those fuel figures arent that impressive jabba for a 250. not in the ballpark with the big 4's mate.

jabba you need to give yourself an uppercut

Jabba_
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
those fuel figures arent that impressive jabba for a 250. not in the ballpark with the big 4's mate.

jabba you need to give yourself an uppercut
Fish Guts, Do read the entire post, or just what you want to read.... I clearly stated those figrues are the worst I have done... I also stated I get an average of 2.4klm/ltr on a average trip...... IMO, that's not bad

tin can marlin
02-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Fro what i'am reading the etec is getting a lot of wraps i'am now leeening towards white not silver.

Outsider1
02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Happens every time the wind gets up (a full moon also seems to bring them on!).:P All that Berley has got to go somewhere I suppose.;D;D

If we fisherman were as successful at getting bites out on the water as we seem to be in here, the EPA would really have an issue then::):-X

Cheers

Dave

Seahorse
02-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I would stay with the merc. Just my opinion.

poundalead
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a 100hp 4stroke Yamaha pushing 6mt plate centre console- 890 trouble free hours. Average service is $400, fuel economy at worst around 2.6km/lt at 3/4 throttle. My Yammie service dealer is fantastic nothing is too much trouble (which justifies the $80hr) I would definitely buy another one if this one would ever die!

When all is said and done you won't be disappointed with any manufacturer

Good Luck

Cheers Benny

leezor
02-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi guys and girls are the etecs as good as the dvd says they are. And will they be around or will they go out the back door like omc did. Why i'am asking is because i'am trying to pick between etec and yamaha. Regards mark:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-* :-*

Of course Etecs are the best, it says so in the DVD.

Far side
03-03-2008, 04:48 AM
[quote=Jabba_;775124]Either your a dumb ___ or you need to listen to you own advice.... How many times does it have to be mentioned on this site alone for it to get through some think skulls.... The dealer service intervals remains at 3 years/300hrs regardless if the E-tec is used in fresh or SALT water...

You need to stop taking angry pills

Your right but the manual says the there are some items that need to be done more frequently

"Salt water applications require minimal additional inspections and lubrication"

Lewy
03-03-2008, 06:07 AM
I couldn't buy an Etec for fear of turning into a ######

Lewy

pursuit001
03-03-2008, 06:13 AM
ha ha not another etec thread . when is this ever goin to end.
cheers shane

Local_Guy
03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
ok. i'm going to add my response after reading what everyone has said and answer your question asked in your first post.

now i'm only new into boating, but i have been in sales for quite some time but smart information stays the same.

Do a trip around to your local dealers have a chat to them. Ask their opinion on what motors they stock and ask all sorts of questions as to why that brand is good, warrenty's, service, their staff (mechanics) etc.

There is a lot of useful information in this thread amongst the people who want to fight. It's clear they want people to see their way and no one elses... not naming names. Most of the people here are giving their own personal preferences without a comparison to other brands. You will see however, that the people that aren't hell bent on 1 particular brand have been through several boats/engines over the years and they have all been good.

If you research the etec dvd further you will realise that Honda match up their engine to one of lesser quality in the Mercury range and not their optimum model so this makes their engine look better. DVD's and advertising is purely to make u want brand x over brand y and z. but brand y and z could be as good if not better than brand x.

I've prob babbled s&%t but i just had to give my part and hopefully to stop all the people bickering telling you to get what they have.

I own a Mercury as it was included in my boats package.... The way i see things... The company has been around for god knows how many years and if their products were crap they they would be out of business.

best of luck with your purchase what ever way you go.

sea raider
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
TCM,

Ignore what they say in the DVD, all it is is a heap of Seppo Crap.

Do, however listen to the E-Tec owners on this site, they are fairly easy to find, they are the ones who give the E-Tecs a good wrap. The ones who knock the E-Tec are usually the ill-informed ones who post threads and make statements that are crap.

Cheers

Geoff

Wahoo
03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
short and sweet TCM..................NO there not

black runner
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
TCM, how did you arrive at the E-Tec/Yamaha shortlist? and what type of Yamaha are you comparing with 2st, hpdi, 4st? and what hp?

All brands have pros/cons especially where weight and/or cubic capacity for a given HP is concerned.

I own a Yammie 60 4st and think its the beez neez compared to my previous 2st. But I wouldn't be too concerned about the longevity of the BRP E-Tec brand, even if it did "go out the back door" you would still get parts and service in your period of ownership. Just like I can still get all the parts and or service on my little '95 Johnno 5hp. When you look at the volume being sold in the US I wouldn't be concerned at all.

From my perspective it comes down to HP range required and then comparing the specs. Weight/Cubic Capacity/No Cylinders, Is it an uprated or down rated version of a common powerhead? Is the dealer a good one? Go to the dealers and ask if you can be put in contact with owners of the type motors you are looking at.

Armed with all of this you should be able to make a fairly sound objective decision without getting too distracted by all of the subjective crap floating about.

Cheers - Fred

TheRealAndy
03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Are shark nuts better than whiting fillets? Different strokes for differnent blokes. I like the etec cause of the service intervel (as i have said before) and i like the 4 stroke cause of their silence. I like the etec cause its lighter and more grunt (apparently) and I like the 4 stroke cause its good on fuel. But for me personally, the winner is the etec based mostly on service interval because I am far to busy to stuff around getting services. That is my OPINION, it does not make the etec better than the yam 4 stroke i currently own. In my OPINION, i would probably go the etec next time around. FACT is that my last yamaha (and hopefully my current yamaha) has been great.

Now FACT is also that I often use a 9.9hp jonno that is 20 years old. IT has no thermostat apparently and can be a prick to start when cold but it still goes and is a reliable engine. I also use a new 50hp merc 4 stroke that is great. Until recently I also used a 40hp jonno 2 stroke that was bough in 92 from memory and was just sold still running fine. I could go on here with many outboards, they all work, some break down, some dont. Some use more fuel some use less. Some are louder some are quieter. Some have more torque some have less. Decide what you want the buy the outboard that fits those requirements. When the outboard fits those requirements then you have chosen the best outboard FOR YOU.