PDA

View Full Version : Electric motors 12 Vs 24 volts

Bud-dy
29-02-2008, 10:56 PM
I have to replace my electric motor due to it failing badly.
My boat is a Hornet 455 wildfisher with a mercury 60 4stroke. My old electric was a minn kota Riptide 55/Autopilot which dragged me around at 2.1 knots.
I am thinking of going to a minn kota riptide 70/CP so a 24 volt 70 pound thrust motor BUT I keep asking myself what will be the advantages of going to 24 volts, OBVIOUSLY slightly faster ( but how much ) but what else ?? CAN anyone answer this for me ??
The money for either 12 or 24 volt system is the same approximently.
I have a second battery in the boat already so weigh is not an issue and I can live without autopilot if I have to ( as the 24 volt motor doesn't have it )
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED !!!!
Thanks
Paul
PS -- by suggesting I get a motorguide is not helping..

Hamish73
01-03-2008, 01:00 AM
Higher voltage = higher efficiency as the current draw for the same hp is less.
This also means less heat, and smaller cables required. This info isnt specific to electric trolling motors, its just electrical theory by handy to know before you make the decision

NAGG
01-03-2008, 07:11 AM
I think that the 70 lber is a much better choice in a 4.5M boat ..... You will notice a marked improvement in getting around!
I run a 74lber on a 480 Hornet ..... I can crank it up to around 4-5knots:P However i typically run at about half throttle & get a full (16 hour day out of it ! ..... we did that a few weeks back & still had 25% charge left .. 2 x 100amp AGMs
For me the fact of not running a battery down to dead is a good point as I will prolong the life of a couple of pretty expensive AGM batteries!

Finally you'll never be caught short on thrust in windy conditions or a against a fast tidal flow

Nagg

Bud-dy
05-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Well I borrowed 65 pound powerdrive 24 volt electric motor to see how it would go.
My speed went up to 2.5 knots and steering/direction was a lot more responsive ? Why I don't know ( my old motor was 8.5yrs old borrowed motor only 3 yrs old ).
So I am thinking of buying the riptide SP 70/CP. Anyone with this motor have any comments ??
Thanks
Paul

philpy
06-03-2008, 02:48 AM
mate if you go with either try get a battery with with higher amps in it.will help last a bit longer