PDA

View Full Version : 385 quintrex explorer with 25hp has excessive spray

nipsta
29-02-2008, 03:01 PM
i have a quintrex explorer 385 with a 25hp tohatsu on the back and it seems to have a far bit of spray coming out the back of the boat when travelling. Someone suggested putting a inch block on top of the transom to lift it up. Has any one got thoughts on wheather this will work i also tried a stingray fin on the motor to get it to lift out of the water more but nowi have lost 6km and hour out of it so will the inch block help . please give me advice as i need to suss it out before i get him to put it on unfortunatly for me im injured at the moment so i cant get the boat out to test it my mate is working on my triler this weekend and can put the block in there at the same time so it would be nice to know if any else has had the prob and putting the block in place has fixed it .

FNQCairns
29-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah lift the engine until the bottom of cav/vent plate is like 5mm above a straight edge following the end of your hull bottom (hope that makes sense).

Your problem will go away if not then raise it 5mm more. It will be a new boat too, travel faster, use less fuel, plane faster, stay on the plane longer and control the bow a bit better. How much better depends on how low it is ATM.

good luck

cheers fnq

nipsta
29-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah lift the engine until the bottom of cav/vent plate is like 5mm above a straight edge following the end of your hull bottom (hope that makes sense).

Your problem will go away if not then raise it 5mm more. It will be a new boat too, travel faster, use less fuel, plane faster, stay on the plane longer and control the bow a bit better. How much better depends on how low it is ATM.

good luck

cheers fnq
should i leave the stingray on there or take it off

pursuit001
01-03-2008, 10:34 AM
hi mate have you got a depth sounder fitted as this sometimes occurs from the transducer sitting up or is deffinatly coming from the engine its self .
cheers pursuit .

nipsta
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
hi mate have you got a depth sounder fitted as this sometimes occurs from the transducer sitting up or is deffinatly coming from the engine its self .
cheers pursuit .
here is a picture of my motor i measure it and the vent plate is 100mm below the hull so if i bring it up from there it should be ok bring it up 2 inches that should help i think what do yous reckon

BaitThrower
01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I raised my motor up 3 inches so it is now level (and perhaps just a tough above) the bottom level line of the hull. It made a big difference. Just have to be more careful in turns because the prop can break the water surface if put up higher and cavitate.

Chimo
01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
What angle is your motor sitting at when your in the water?

If it is at the same angle as shown in the pics you could benefit from it being further out / back. If there a five settings go for the middle one.

Re the Stingray, You could find benefits if you use it.
These can include that the boat planes at a slower speed, it gets on the plane quicker and the rear end of the boat is less twitchy at speed when you turn.

To get these benefits you need to have the motor lifted up so the cavitation plate is sitting on the surface of the water when you are operating at high speed.

This is achieved by lifting the motor (done) and tilting it back from the transom to the about the middle tilt setting. Then the Stingray is going to be on the surface or even just about above it when you travel at speed in a straight line. It will dip into the water when you turn hence the extra stability during turns.

Hope this makes sense and is clear enough?

Cheers
Chimo

nipsta
01-03-2008, 10:16 PM
What angle is your motor sitting at when your in the water?

If it is at the same angle as shown in the pics you could benefit from it being further out / back. If there a five settings go for the middle one.

Re the Stingray, You could find benefits if you use it.
These can include that the boat planes at a slower speed, it gets on the plane quicker and the rear end of the boat is less twitchy at speed when you turn.

To get these benefits you need to have the motor lifted up so the cavitation plate is sitting on the surface of the water when you are operating at high speed.

This is achieved by lifting the motor (done) and tilting it back from the transom to the about the middle tilt setting. Then the Stingray is going to be on the surface or even just about above it when you travel at speed in a straight line. It will dip into the water when you turn hence the extra stability during turns.

Hope this makes sense and is clear enough?

Cheers
Chimo
thanks for that i think ii will lift it up so it is just level with the bottom of the boat and it should hopefully improvie it for thanks to everyone for there advice

CHAPPY
02-03-2008, 06:20 AM
My 385 explorer with a high transom is powered by a 15 hp long leg Johnson. The dealer fitted a 1 inch block as you say and it works well. The hull has been fitted with a false floor, esky, swivel seat, and casting platforms and bimini.
( Read fair bit of weight ) add to that my 110 kg bulk and she still sits on 27 k.p.h. with 1 up or 2 up. The stingray helps with getting her out of the hole and yes the transducer is the culpret in throwing up spray from the rear.

The outboard angle had to be adjusted 1 notch when the stingray was added. The cornering aspect needs more care with the stingray but overall, she performs well and for the Tin Can Bay inlet she is perfect.

Regards Chappy

nipsta
02-03-2008, 08:03 AM
My 385 explorer with a high transom is powered by a 15 hp long leg Johnson. The dealer fitted a 1 inch block as you say and it works well. The hull has been fitted with a false floor, esky, swivel seat, and casting platforms and bimini.
( Read fair bit of weight ) add to that my 110 kg bulk and she still sits on 27 k.p.h. with 1 up or 2 up. The stingray helps with getting her out of the hole and yes the transducer is the culpret in throwing up spray from the rear.

The outboard angle had to be adjusted 1 notch when the stingray was added. The cornering aspect needs more care with the stingray but overall, she performs well and for the Tin Can Bay inlet she is perfect.

Regards Chappy
ok i think i will put a leaval on mine to make sure i measure it right as i dont want to lift it to high mine did 46 kph before the hydrofoil went on ( i have false floor casting decks front and back and i have a deepcycle battery in front which runs my water electric bowmount motor) ]i got a se2000 hydrofoil as well the exspensive one then it drop too 38 kph but i think it will definetly regain now everyone has given me right advice what made you get the long shaft one and if the hull already had a transom design for it you think that you would not have had to put a block in place and that what i thought with the short shaft egnine and short shaft transom but i suppose thats where i went wrong there are still variables but i hanging to get it done and see how it runs might hit the fifty kph flying oh yeah im also get the motor changed to the thiry horse standard that how it works with tohatsu 25 hp gasket on carby and a jet adjustment and thirty hp it will be .