PDA

View Full Version : Capacity Label

baitwaster
29-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Could anyone e-mail me a fairly hi-res pic of a capacity label
and let me know the size of it?

PM me if you can help, and I will send you my email address.

Thanks in advance............... Shane

DR
29-02-2008, 07:38 AM
go in, email or even ring, get the real thing, they are free...
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Capacity_labels/

baitwaster
29-02-2008, 08:32 AM
I know, but I am stuck at work all day and I am a signwriter, easier to make one than fight through city traffic then line up to deal with qld. transport

baitwaster
29-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I just worked out ( via the link in DR's post ) that you do not actually need one.

From 1 July 2006, all new recreational boats manufactured in Australia will show an Australian Builder's Plate. Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate, but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat. You should still consider placing a capacity label on your boat if it provides a more visible reminder of the boat's safe capacity.

You would think the water police that issued me a warning before the boat rally would know that ?

joeT
29-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Send them an request for one online and they'll post it to you for free.
http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/eForms.nsf/CapacityLabelsOrderForm

Perhaps the police thought your builder's plate was not clearly visible from the steering position of the boat?

Swamp
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I've seen them free at BCF and other fishing / boating stores

tigermullet
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I just worked out ( via the link in DR's post ) that you do not actually need one.

You would think the water police that issued me a warning before the boat rally would know that ?

No you wouldn't. Unless it is pointed out to them in fine detail or is emphasized by clearly worded direction in simple language from their senior officers they wouldn't have a clue. Much easier to write a ticket or issue some demeaning warning than use common sense. All in the cause of safety of course. And we all know how much notice we take of capacity labels each time we get on board. Such is the logic of public servants - if it's got a label it's safe.

There goes my new year's resolution.;D

craigie
04-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Water Police issued me with a written warning over the same issue.
Although my boat has the builders plate, it did not state the max number of persons the boat should carry.

jacobvz
04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Water Police issued me with a written warning over the same issue.
Although my boat has the builders plate, it did not state the max number of persons the boat should carry.

While under way on the water I think every boat should carry at least 1.
While fishing I think the maximum my boat should carry is 2
While on the water the maximum my boat COULD carry is 4 adults

Jack

Briannes
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Shane
I rang Water Police today to confirm that my boat 5.5m Yalta (2005 ) has a builders plate with capacity of 5 persons, and the capacity label says that 6 persons for that size boa,t he agreed and said that MSQ would be correct, and it is an offence not to display a capacity label but it is not an offence YET to carry over the rated capacity!!!! and they cannot book you for that. So you must have the label right but can carry all you like. the only thing that could happen is the law of comonsence could apply if anything goes wrong - Brian

Fatenhappy
05-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Most descent size boat places carry them for nothing, BCF, Whitworths, Northside marine etc etc ....

Surely you can just drop in and get one for nothing, no waiting, no hassels.

Besides that, they are a Queensland Transport thing so I would be checking to see if its legal to have any other type no matter how good your intentions or how flash the immitation..

Re the capacity it self, they are an advisory label, in that the Qld situation is that everythings OK untill something goes wrong. Then it all falls back on you as the skipper to prove you were operating with due care and attention.

Cheers
Greg

Marlin_Mike
05-03-2008, 05:30 PM
geez PM me your address and i'll mail you one if you really havent got time to get one, wouldnt want someone breaking the law

Mike