PDA

View Full Version : What Makes Spot 'X' Fire!

Jim_Tait
28-02-2008, 10:10 AM
This post follows on from one I put in freshwater reports - 'When spot 'X' fires
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125552 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125552)
But I though it woyld be good to place it in general chat to see what other species and examples Ausfishers come up with in terms of describing the conditions that make you drop work, family committments what ever... to go fishing, because you know that your spot 'X' will be firing.

If you have built up experience for a particular species or spot in terms of what gets them going, sharing the info (without provoide actual site details) provides a way we can all learn form each other and about species/ site situation we may not be familiar with.

I figure a bit of a template might be useful to keep us a bit constant in description - something along the lines of

Species:
Habitat setting:
Focal spot:
Time of Year:
Time of day:
Tide / Flow conditions:
Moon / light condiutions:
Weather:
Key igniter (what makes it fire!):
General Description Method & Action:

To get the ball rolling I'll provide an example (i've got a couple to share) - but I'm keen to see what other Ausfishers can share.

Species: Barra
Habitat setting:Near coastal freshwater lagoons
Focal spot: Shallow sand bars between deepwater lagoon basins
Time of Year: Winter / July
Time of day: After dark / night
Tide / Flow conditions: no tidal influence no flow
Moon / light conditions: half to full moon behind an overcast sky creating an all night twilight
Weather: Overcast sky
Key igniter (what makes it fire!): First or second warm day in the middle of a cool winter period, air temperature is up because of overcast condition.
General Description Method & Action: Barra come out of their winter slumber because of increased air/water temperature, shallow sand bars provide a focal point for rounding up schools of small mullet and feed all nigh due to the great ambush conditions created by the all night twilight. Fishing is land based or from kayak using shallow minows (gold bombers) or slowly twitched surface lures (skitter pops my fav) - best catch was 7 barra (plus a gizillion dropped) on one nid July night!

Over to you...