PDA

View Full Version : Richmond River open

banshee
27-02-2008, 01:14 PM
The Richmond and it's trbutaries will be open to fishing from 5 pm today 27-2-08 BUT please note that the beaches that were closed after the fish kill will remain closed untill further notice.

Freeeedom
27-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that Banshee. Which beaches are closed? I'm heading for a week at Iluka leaving next week - will the beach closures worry me at all?
Cheers Freeeedom

pommy
27-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Greetings all!

Why the river and not the beaches?

There must be a reason but I can't for the life of me see it.

Any ideas guys?

Regards, Rob.
Ballina.

mattooty
27-02-2008, 06:30 PM
We've got no closures down here mate
What dates are you coming?

banshee
27-02-2008, 06:58 PM
The only beaches that are closed are the southern beach for a distance of approx 1.6 k's starting at the south wall and running to a lane who's name eludes me at present and from the north wall to Flat Rock.These beaches are very heavily populated at present (supposedly) and it is hoped that these fish will find there way back into the system.

Freeeedom
27-02-2008, 07:45 PM
We've got no closures down here mate
What dates are you coming?

Leaving Brisbane Thursday. Looking to fish the usual places from the north wall to the Shark bay beach depending on conditions. What's the colour like in the river - has the fresh cleared yet? What's being caught at the moment? When I've been down in the warmer months in the past I've usually done well on the lizards on the flats inside the river, but that may not be the case if the run-off is still going strong. I'm sure I'll find a fish somewhere!
Cheers Freeeedom

rabbi
28-02-2008, 07:51 AM
G'day Guys,
Dont think opening up the river is such a good plan at this stage.
I went out yesterday afternoon to a jew spot I used to fish in the upper town reaches and landed two 8kg jew in quick succession.

Should have thrown them back.
They smelt putrid and tasted the same as the horrible toxic smell that came down the river with the floodwater that killed the fish in the first place.
I dont think any fish caught in the Richmond will be fit to eat for months and taking them for food will only result in fish being wasted and dumped. Even the cat turned up his nose at the jew I caught and he is not fussy.
bit of a debacle opening up the river I think.

cheers, Steve.